Chinese carbon time trial frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

I've saw the discussions around the road frames but haven't saw any about the TT stuff. So is anyone riding any? Theres a few in the intro section but I'd be keen to see what folks think about them or their builds.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm still riding mine with no problems. Admittedly it doesn't get a lot of use, but for what I paid I am more than pleased.

The only change from the original posting is the stem and I occasionally use a disc wheel.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41741&hilit=time+trial

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Irish

by Irish

I have used one and imported many of these frames, they were used by Cadel Evans as his tt bike in the Tour De France in 2006 afair, two Irish Para Olympians use them also, of all the ones i imported i've never had a problem with any of them (apart from slipping seat posts). Great value for the money.

drchull

by drchull

One of the local guys spent some time chatting with one of the Chinese distributors and was reassured that the frames were UCI legal. Eventually pulled the trigger and ordered 2 for him and a friend. Of course once they got here... They failed the 3:1 rule in 3 different areas.
As far as the distributor was concerned they were legal and wouldn't take them back.
Sorry can't provide exact models etc. Just a warning, if you are doing UCI TTs.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I've had a couple chinese road frames and have been really happy with them. It's definitely unnerving paypaling a bunch of money to some random person but if you do your homework and go with an established re-seller there are rarely any problems outside of lead time and poor communication.

Abdullah The Destroyer

by Abdullah The Destroyer

i have one of these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66032700@N06/6011835306/

stiffer than expected, decently light. if you buy one and you plan to do the build yourself, you'll want to make sure your shop faces everything for you (unless you can do it yourself) - they get a bit sloppy with paint, clearcoat, etc - but structurally, they're solid. the only problem i've had is that i don't ride it enough :cry:.

p.s. because of that, it's for sale, btw. pm me if interested.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

drchull wrote:They failed the 3:1 rule in 3 different areas.

What areas?

(Genuine question. Your post left some desired elaboration.)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

If its the same as xnavalav8r's, Evans did indeed ride one disguised as a Ridley at the Tour.
Its proven kit. No need to buy direct.
They are 10 a penny round here badged up as Planet X's.
No one seems to have much trouble with them, they weigh a ton, but they're cheap.
I think you can still get them as old models thru PX.
I think there are 2 versions floating around; with and without track ends and 1 i think has a round seattube
Official cafe stop tester

Irish

by Irish

The ones I imported were exactly the same as xnavalav8r's, i got mine through KARBONA, they are very easy to deal with and provide a fast efficent service with no bs, they will supply them with/without transfers, and they are the same as Planet-x's, Stevens and a few other re-badged frames.

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

Cheers guys! Lots of good stuff. I take it the planet x/stevens/karbona one is a bit old hat these days though? Abdullah, do you recall the model or supplier? I currently have an original S-Works Transition which has been great but the lure of carbon is enticing.

footwerx

by footwerx

you might want to check out my thread on ST:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowt ... _P3403049/

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

I have a TT frame that I bought directly in China.
I have nothing bad to say about it really. It rides like a dream and the price was great!

I bought the "Exocet" frame that is sold by Planet X, and several other brands.

The cut out on the rear wheel is a very tight fit, but I knew this when I ordered - and it really have been no problem at all with my Lightweight disc or trainingwheels.

You can see my bike here:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86838

drchull

by drchull

I am sorry I can't really provide any details. Another local racer bought them and just told me what he went through. I don't know the specific frame or exactly which spots failed. Wouldn't matter for Tri anyway, and depending on your local officials it may not matter, but in Ontario they get very picky at times. I would assume that most likely area that would fail would be at the head tube, particularly if they use the hourglass shape that is becoming more popular but don't trim the airfoil at the joint.
I don't want to dissuade anyone from one frame or another just meant as a general warning. Keep in mind the UCI is a funny organization that will let Cancellera ride one frame to a world championship only to ban it a few months later. You can never really predict when they will decide to get silly even at the local level. Last year here they were taking calipers to base bars. Way to promote the sport and open it up to everyone by sending Triatheletes home rather then letting them race in the lower categories. I am all for a level playing field but really would rather see the sport opening and bringing more people in when we are talking about the lower categories.
Anyway, that is more rant than info, but I have no short supply of the former and little of the latter.

prendrefeu wrote:
drchull wrote:They failed the 3:1 rule in 3 different areas.

What areas?

(Genuine question. Your post left some desired elaboration.)

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

I quite like the look of this.

I'll need to raise some funds and get over my fear of buying from China! Its coming in under £400. I don't time trial anyway and it would be for triathlon, saying that I've always fancied trying testing. I'm not sure the British time trials are effected by any UCI rules :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drchull

by drchull

If you like it and the fit is good go for it then the price is certainly nice. Hell even if it failed you could buy two more for cheaper than most branded frames. It seems to me that most people have had good experiences with the Non-branded Chinese frames (I said most not all, all manufacturers have some frame failures).