Speedplay ZERO cleats vs LIGHT ACTION cleats

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rick

by Rick

andyoo wrote:OK guys, Just like the other guy said, light and zero's cleat is almost identical and I have tesed and it works fine on both.
The other difference is the 'C' shape metal piece is made of softer metal and open a little wider. However, the metal 'C' piece zero has same shape as light.
This make the metal easier to 'open' and clip on.
As for the pedal side, there is some slight difference in the opening being the light is earier to clip in...but it don't make much difference.
(cleat work on both).

Reviving an old thread just so the information is all in one place:

Since I am a former long-time Zero user I had lots of old spare cleat parts around. But I just got a pair of Light Actions.
I compared the C-springs carefully with calipers. Thaey are absolutely identical. Same width, thickness, shape, angles, etc. They even have the same little star marks stamped on them (I don't know what the star means).
And I seriously doubt they are of softer metal, since all steels have virtually the same modulus of elasticity (stiffness).

I don't have an old Zero pedal to compare, but I suspect he difference must be in the little notch-shaped metal pieces under the bow tie. Those have the "bumps" that spread the C-springs to allow release. The Light actions are definitely easier to unclip, so it must be less dramatic an angle or smaller "bumps" on those pieces.
There is no difference to the security of the setup when you are clipped in. It is still completely impossible to pull out. But the Zeros had a definite unclip force when you moved your heel out to the release point. The LAs have a very small force as you rotate the heal out beyond the release point. The float of the LA's is a little more "ice-like" also, because the surface of the pedal has more surface area, and doesn't have the same cutouts as on the Zeroes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

You don't know what the star means?!?! I'm ribbing you.

It is to tell you that it is supposed to be that side facing up/visible when mounted, and so you get them installed properly.

Rick

by Rick

Good one! Thanks.
But one could also tell which side goes up by looking at the bevel direction on the spring that slides over the bowtie.
:noidea:

And if they were going to the trouble to engrave/stamp a star, couldn't they have just as easily engraved "UP" ? :lol:

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Although I only look for the star when assembling, maybe they were saving money on the stamping machinery.

But some other pieces have left right stamped.

http://www.speedplay.com/pubs/instructi ... uction.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Manufacturing for ya...haha

Rick

by Rick

I took the bowties off to look at the funny little inserts that contain the "release bumps". These sit inderneath the bowtie plate and are actually separate steel pieces.
The inserts are asymmetric, and the bump that controls the outer release is definitely smaller and more rounded than the bump on the inner side. I can't be sure, but I think that in the Zeroes the bumps look about the same size. Can anyone confirm ? Maybe that explains the lighter release force.

The inserts are carefully shaped and fit into the plastic of the pedal body like a jigsaw puzzle part so that it cannot be reversed (can't put the bigger bump on the outside, which is what I wanted to try.)

Anyway, I never feel like I am in any danger of releasing, even when sprinting out of the saddle. So far I like them, and the float is also more frictionless than the zeroes.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

+1 for working fine. I have that setup with my wife because she wanted a lighter action clip out, but the light action pedals were poor quality. So LA cleats with Z pedals for a couple years now.
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

jimwhimpey

by jimwhimpey

I have no idea why Speedplay offer both of these almost identical pedal systems.

Rick

by Rick

My recollection and impression was that Speedplay improved the strength and longevity of the X series by going to a C-spring instead of a wire. That gave the Light Action Series. But then they also very quickly realized that they could have the float range adjustable by putting the set-screws of the Zero series on the cleat. The Zeros also incorporated bigger cutouts on the pedal surface for dirt shedding ability. But reduction of cleat/pedal contact area also seemed to make the float have a little more frictiony feel.

Prior users of the X series were already used to the very low (nothing) release force, so that was OK on the Light Actions. But I think they increased the relese force of the Zeroes to make competitors feel more confident. Just my guess. They still make all of them because you know how people are when they get locked into a pedal system. I have numerous friends still using the X series, because all their bikes are set up that way and they just don't want to be bothered with changing anything. They also like that absolutely frictionless float.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Rick wrote:I took the bowties off to look at the funny little inserts that contain the "release bumps". These sit inderneath the bowtie plate and are actually separate steel pieces.
The inserts are asymmetric, and the bump that controls the outer release is definitely smaller and more rounded than the bump on the inner side. I can't be sure, but I think that in the Zeroes the bumps look about the same size. Can anyone confirm ? Maybe that explains the lighter release force.

The inserts are carefully shaped and fit into the plastic of the pedal body like a jigsaw puzzle part so that it cannot be reversed (can't put the bigger bump on the outside, which is what I wanted to try.)

Anyway, I never feel like I am in any danger of releasing, even when sprinting out of the saddle. So far I like them, and the float is also more frictionless than the zeroes.

I think you have it. I was inquiring with Speedplay about the Zero track pedals and how the extra release tension was achieved and it was explained that it was all in the shape and angle of the "release bumps" as you call them. Smaller bump and lower angle on their face gives lower release tension and vice versa.