Latex Tube for Descending

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
yongkun
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:19 pm

by yongkun

Just changed my rear tube only to latex (Vittoria Latex) after bursting my butyl tube in my Fulcrum 5 training wheels. This will be the first time i will be putting them to the test on descents, my usual cat 3 hill descent.

Wondering if it is advisable to use latex tube for alloy clincher (Fulcrum 5) for descents? Just dont wish for a POP at 70kph.

I previously had 2 bad experiences with Latex Tube (Michelin Aircomp) but they were on the flat, where the hole develop near the valve stem area.

lcoolb
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia / The Hague, Holland

by lcoolb

Don't know about Vittoria latex, but stay away from the Michelins. They have caused me to study the road surface much closer than was comfortable...

by Weenie


murph100
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:46 pm

by murph100

Mich latex tubes always seem to fail near the valve stem.

Do a search for latex tubes and you will find TONS of info on the various types, and suitability for the various terrains.

For Alpine like descents though ( very long with lots of braking ) stay clear of latex tubes, use butyl or Tubs.

For normal mountain descents, latex is fine.



yongkun wrote:Just changed my rear tube only to latex (Vittoria Latex) after bursting my butyl tube in my Fulcrum 5 training wheels. This will be the first time i will be putting them to the test on descents, my usual cat 3 hill descent.

Wondering if it is advisable to use latex tube for alloy clincher (Fulcrum 5) for descents? Just dont wish for a POP at 70kph.

I previously had 2 bad experiences with Latex Tube (Michelin Aircomp) but they were on the flat, where the hole develop near the valve stem area.

rruff
Shop Owner
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Alto, NM

by rruff

murph100 wrote:For Alpine like descents though ( very long with lots of braking ) stay clear of latex tubes, use butyl or Tubs.


Never had a problem, and I've tested it many times...

yongkun
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:19 pm

by yongkun

managed to descent safely at 70kph today with latex tube. but rear tyre with latex tube skidded abit during two corners, guessing due to handling and not the tube.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru
Posts: 5860
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Belgium

by fdegrove

Hi,

Wondering if it is advisable to use latex tube for alloy clincher (Fulcrum 5) for descents? Just dont wish for a POP at 70kph.


Broadly speaking it is not advisable.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

ty-ro
Posts: 670
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:15 pm

by ty-ro

I had a red Challenge latex tube spontaneously flat on an uphill the other day. It took about 2 seconds for all of the air to be gone. Had this happened on a charging descent, it would have been a bad situation. I'm off latex.

rruff
Shop Owner
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Alto, NM

by rruff

ty-ro wrote:I had a red Challenge latex tube spontaneously flat on an uphill the other day. It took about 2 seconds for all of the air to be gone. Had this happened on a charging descent, it would have been a bad situation. I'm off latex.


That certainly can happen, but the cause is improper installation... and that is fixable.

Mr.Gib
Posts: 3586
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: eh?

by Mr.Gib

Straighten me out gentlemen.

Are we just concerned because the pliability of the latex tube means that it will find every nook and cranny as it heats up and expands and consequently encounters something sharp enough to puncture it?

If so isn't the real issue about having perfectly smooth rim beds and inner tire surfaces?

Or is there some other issue?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

User avatar
djconnel
Posts: 7928
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

by djconnel

Funny this came up... I was at thetop of Mt Diablo yesterday when a guy I now happened to be there and showed me a scar he attributed to a latex tube blowing out at the seam. I asked if they were Michelin, as I've had bad experience with those. Yes, he said....

In any case I use Challenge now.

User avatar
jmilliron
Posts: 2014
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:03 pm
Location: San Francisco Peninsula

by jmilliron

I had many thousands of miles of climbing and descending on Mitch AirComp latex tubes, Mitch Pro3 Race tires and Mavic OpenPro rims. Flawless. In fact, at one point near the end of the winter, my rear tire had two small holes in it were you could see the latex tube. No flats.

They did meet their demise near the bottom of Diablo when I slammed into a pothole at full speed. Pinch flatted both, knocked the front rim out of true and destroyed the rear rim.

Ordered a set of Pro3 Race tires and Vittoria latex tubes from Competitive Cyclist (TdF sale) yesterday. Will be testing those out. I'll make sure to leave my WW login and password for my wife to inform you guys if I die on Kings Mountain road or something.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

rruff
Shop Owner
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Alto, NM

by rruff

Mr.Gib wrote:Or is there some other issue?


The sort of failure that seems most dangerous... an exploding tube that often forces the tire bead off the rim... also seems impossible if the tube is properly installed. A tube pinched under the bead is exactly what would cause this. People do this all the time with butyl tubes also, but they tend to fail before you get out the door. Latex can last a long time in this state... until heat and cornering forces pop the tube and/or push the bead off the rim.

Mr.Gib
Posts: 3586
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: eh?

by Mr.Gib

Well, if improper installation is the problem than it really is not about the choice of equipment but rather like so many things, the ability of the user that is the real issue. Still I'd like to hear opposing views if they exist.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

User avatar
djconnel
Posts: 7928
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

by djconnel

The guy who told me he had a blow-out was fairly obsessive about his equipment, doing coast-down tests to optimize his tire-tube choice. We all make mistakes. Part of equipment choice is picking stuff which is less likely to bite when we do.

User avatar
Juanmoretime
Administrator
Posts: 7189
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:08 am
Location: Urbana, Illinois

by Juanmoretime

I've had very good luck with the Michelin latex tubes. In two years and about 15,000 miles I've had six flats which is much better than I ever did with butyl tubes.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post