High End Wheelset Review- Mavic CCU, LW, Bora, Edge, 303

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
LionelB

by LionelB

Old thread but I want to add, now that I have the Bora ultra two on the Crumpton I am just kicking myself to not have bought them earlier. They are just a fantastic wheelset.

Sold the reynolds, will most likely sell the aerozenith and on top of all that very tempted to add Hyperon ultra while I am at it.

by Weenie

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Good move. :thumbup:

and on top of all that very tempted to add Hyperon ultra while I am at it.

I'll be receiving my own set next month. They'll replace one of the Neutron Tubular sets I have and will be used whenever the Boras are not ideal for the job.

Enjoy, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

wingguy

by wingguy

fdegrove, when you've ridden the Hyperons a bit would you mind commenting here how they feel/behave vs the Boras?

I think I'm about to spend all winter agonising over what new wheelset to get and all 1st hand info will be appreciated :wink:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

fdegrove, when you've ridden the Hyperons a bit would you mind commenting here how they feel/behave vs the Boras?

Will do. 8)

Ciao, ;)

DGcyclist

by DGcyclist

Norty Raskel wrote:Coloclimber,

I have a pair of 404's that are so far out of balance I have to slow down on steep decents, have you noticed any balance issues with any of the other wheels sets you've reviewed??

My current 404's and in addition, your review of the 303's make me rather reluctant to purchase more ZIPP's

Norty

Adding an 8 gram lead weight to the rim-strip inside the tire under the inner-tube opposite of the valve stem
took care of imbalance problem nicely. I noticed right away these wheels were not balanced because the valve
stems would always stop at the 6 o'clock position when the bike was on the service stand. Also, the service stand
would make an attempt at walking across the floor when the wheel was spun at 30 mph. I just kept adding weight
to the 12 o'clock position after the wheel had stopped spinning until the wheel would stop with the valve stem
in a more random position. After adding 8 grams of weight to each 404 wheel the service stand no longer protests
when the wheel is spun up to stupid fast speeds. The net performance gain is worth the 16 total gram penalty. Cranking
well balanced wheels spin with less effort and go faster. I never bothered putting time into finding the cause of the imbalance
since I would not be riding on incomplete wheels. If I had to hazard a guess, the valve stem, stem extender and increased rubber
in that area is the source of the imbalance. The wheel itself is probably reasonably balanced.

Adding the weight was easy. It was just a matter of making sure the weight did not have any sharp corners or edges that
could damage the tube. A little bit of electrical tape to secure it to the center of the rim-strip and re-inflate.

LionelB

by LionelB

fdegrove wrote:
I'll be receiving my own set next month. They'll replace one of the Neutron Tubular sets I have and will be used whenever the Boras are not ideal for the job.

Enjoy, ;)

Any good deals you found on Hyperon ?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Least expensive I've seen is about 1800 euro for the U2 tubular version. Mine are second leg though. :D

Ciao, ;)