Mavic's Exalith Process/Reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

For cheaper pads, I have been using Reynolds cryo blue on my Exalith rims with great success. Don't seem to damage the rim at all (other than leaving a faint trace of blue on the rim), stop at least as well or better than the Mavic pads and are waaay cheaper.

Cheers
GJ

JW84

by JW84

So just a question as regards the wear on the rims. I'm presuming the wheels are still OK to ride once the black starts to fade from the rims? Is this just an aesthetic issue?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

schroeds

by schroeds

Can't see why not. Given that we know the black can wear off, it seems mostly aesthetic.

A bigger issue might be the exalith texture wearing off (the micro 'ribs/ridges' texture on the braking surface) , but even then I don't think it'd be game over, after all, most alu rims are smooth surfaced, and have no texture.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Black didn't wear off on my Exaliths.

Just either don't ride in the rain or clean your rims after riding in the rain before you ride again.

Wheels died for other reasons first (after long and hard use).

schroeds

by schroeds

Agree... it doesn't wear off as such, but it can get scraped and scratched off (partly) during a rainy ride if you catch some grit under/in your brake pads.

Seen it on a few .. so much so that I've been thinking of getting some rain day wheels

schroeds

by schroeds

Gearjunkie wrote:Black didn't wear off on my Exaliths.

Just either don't ride in the rain or clean your rims after riding in the rain before you ride again.

Wheels died for other reasons first (after long and hard use).

so what DID die?

JW84

by JW84

Thanks for the reply Shroeds. Just to say, I've done 11 k on these wheels now and the front is only just starting to show wear so I'm not complaning about the quality of the wheels at all - in fact they're the best wheels I've had. Only really noticed after descending the Stelvio in the rain and spending a lot of time on the brakes at the weekend. The "file-like" surfce is still there and braking performance seems as before. As I worrier, I just wanted to make sure the rims weren't about to explode!

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

After plenty of use:

+ Bearings. As you would expect with use.
+ Rear axle broke.
+ Tracomp spokes came loose and rattled.

But I got my fair use out of them, they were good wheels, so not unhappy.

schroeds

by schroeds

JW84 wrote:As I worrier, I just wanted to make sure the rims weren't about to explode!

I reckon you're safe!

BTW any updates on alternate pads? you guys have don tons of kms, are you still on the Reynolds blue, or tried anything else?

I'm still on Exalith specific pads, but need some more soon

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I used Reynolds Blue the whole time, worked great, lasted great, seemed to cause the rim zero problems other than a very light blue tinge but you had to look closely and could clean it off.

JW84

by JW84

I've always used the specific Mavic pads. As is generally the case, the first set wore through pretty quick but since then they've lasted great!

swinter

by swinter

Gearjunkie wrote:Here you go... hope this works.

The blue is more obvious when viewed from the saddle because you are looking across the "tops" of the Exalith grooves. The blue is less noticeable when viewing the bike from the side.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
GJ

I think that actually looks cool.

Just got some Mavic Exalith wheels w/ 25mm tires. Other than the squealing, I like them a lot. Definitely can tell the lower rolling resistance: On average, I'm running one gear higher than before.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

stevod

by stevod

JW84 wrote:I've always used the specific Mavic pads. As is generally the case, the first set wore through pretty quick but since then they've lasted great!

After 5000 miles I'm still only about half way through my first set of Exalith pads!

reknop

by reknop

JW84 wrote:I've always used the specific Mavic pads. As is generally the case, the first set wore through pretty quick but since then they've lasted great!

Same here ... just the Mavic Exalith pads (which are made by Swiss Stop) :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

G1032

by G1032

Folks
What alternative to the Mavic Exalith pads can I use for Exalith 2 rims?
The SwissStop GHP II are apparently not compatible with Exalith 2 rims ( think they are with original Exalith, but not sure what the difference is)
See attached screenshot

download/file.php?mode=view&id=92616
swissstop.JPG
Edit:
Are the SwissStop Yellow compatible? They are a hard wearing pad that can be used on Carbon or Alloy rims? Anyone use these on Exalith 2 rims?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com