Enves new 6.7 wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bricky21

by bricky21

It's nice to know the wheels were fine(Richard also) as it seems as though every time I crash due to touching wheels i end up rebuilding the front one. Maybe I just need to learn how to crash better :noidea: Thank Richard for the review :thumbup:

ergott

by ergott

Nicer pics here. :thumbup:

-Eric

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Any feedback on the 6.7s? I'm planning on getting a pair.

ergott

by ergott

Simply awesome. My buddy rode them and concurred. I'm currently in North Carolina on vacation and they are fast on rolling terrain.

One test ride is all it will take.

-Eric

rustychain

by rustychain

Let me ask a hard question. Sell my Bora Ultras and buy the Enve's???
IMO nothing beats Boras hubs. I own 240 hubs and while good they are IMO not as good. I have had great luck with my Boras but dang those new Enve wheels look good. Anyone that's used both out there?
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

VNTech

by VNTech

Initial reactions (I'll do a full writeup in a few weeks):
- Incredible at speed. Feel like 808 firecrest.
- Don't feel super nimble or light when climbing. Rims are a bit heavier, so that's understandable. 404's feel more nimble.
- Sensation in crosswinds is very odd, in a good way. Like a consistent tug with a rubber band, which is serving to remove all of the sharp inputs. As good as Firecrest but in a different way - crosswinds seem to grab Zipp's a bit less, but grab the Enve's more consistently. I thought it might just be in my head so I rode them back to back today, and the difference is there.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

Giant DK

by Giant DK

@rustychain

Ask me in some weeks :D
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

williamsf1

by williamsf1

Thanks to Jason!!! (fairwheelbike)

(good pics to go up soon, weather tooooo good here to not be riding!!)

FAST!

the only thing I can say is I thought they would be slightly stiffer laterally, as you have to have the rear brake off a little more than my Easton EC90 58mm rear... brakes dont touch if they are set 5mm off the rim.... so there is a little deflection!!

they roll so well, and rip it in a sprint tho!!

IMG_0139 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr

IMG_0138 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr

IMG_0137 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr

IMG_0135 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr

williamsf1

by williamsf1

ok what are other people's verdict on stiffness???

I seem to have to have the brakes open on the rear especially.... maybe 6-8mm each side??? to stop it touching under heavy load, climbing/sprinting???

Im 73kg, so not a fatty ;)

ergott

by ergott

williamsf1 wrote:ok what are other people's verdict on stiffness???

I seem to have to have the brakes open on the rear especially.... maybe 6-8mm each side??? to stop it touching under heavy load, climbing/sprinting???

Im 73kg, so not a fatty ;)

What hub/spoke/spoke count?

-Eric

williamsf1

by williamsf1

sorry, TUNE build by FWB (madcow)

mig 70
mag 170

20/24

Built really nicely I might add!!! just was kind of expecting less side to side flex.... seems very stiff in the drive direction, just wanted to know what other people have reported who own them, and use them....

they are bloody fast! and amazing in the wind!!!!

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I'm 6'3" @ 85kg and don't like hearing about the flex cause I want these badass wheels real bad! Jeez they look fast!

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

I have a Tune build from FWB as well and have no complaints at all.

I'm not gonna say they are super stiff, because I just can't tell, but I can't feel any flex and never had any brake rub.

70kg right now, btw. :cry:

For what it's worth, there's a local descend with an especially winding section and there's usually at least one turn I don't nail 100%, and I came out perfect twice in a row with those wheels. Not that it really means much and I'm not gonna say it's the wheels, but at least they are not holding me back.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Giant DK

by Giant DK

The wheels or rather the rims are super stiff which is why they in some cases, like mine, touches the brakepads on the rearwheel. A weak rim will bend under load when being loaded sideways which means that even though it will bend at the road surface it will not bend as much the other way at the brakepads. The deformation of a super stiff rim look more like a rotation around the center which means it will deflect more at the oposite site of the load.

If I set my brakepads just a little wider than normal I have no problems.

A hub with better geometries will be better to prevent the stiff rims to rotate around the hub. Rumors says ENVE are coming with their own hubset with optimized geomtry to their rims.

Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II