Page 2 of 5

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:17 pm
by Slowpoke
RWH wrote:Everybody here seems to be talking about Tufo tape, but does anyone have experience with Jantex tape from Velox (side effects like increased rolling resistance)?


I've used Jantex tape back in the 80's, and started using it again when I went back to tubulars again last year. In the 80's I had aluminum rims, now my rims are carbon, and Jantex works well for me on both rim types.

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:17 pm
by Weenie

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:12 pm
by strobbekoen
Out of curiousity, I recently tried the tape again - it had been 6 years. Still don't like it as compared to a properly glued tire. It puts a thick layer between rim and tire, it doesn't stick as well on the outer edges. The tape will either stick to the tire or the rim after removal, making a new tape job more work. Considering the width of the tape, I suspect it won't work so well with wider rims. Personally, it's glue for me or clinchers..

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:04 pm
by hockinsk
Had fantastic results with Tufo Extreme and untreated basetapes on tufo elite and continental sprinters James_london, but could never get it to stick fully to treated Vittorias to a point I would be happy racing on them, so bottled out with Mastik One. Loved the ease and concept though, just not the results. Tried several rolls, but all failed a basic roll test on the outside edges.

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:02 am
by CharlesM
The last two sets I used it on were Zipp 303 and Firecrest 404...

Plenty wide.

Zero issues.

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:29 am
by fdegrove
Hi,

Slowpoke wrote:
RWH wrote:Everybody here seems to be talking about Tufo tape, but does anyone have experience with Jantex tape from Velox (side effects like increased rolling resistance)?


I've used Jantex tape back in the 80's, and started using it again when I went back to tubulars again last year. In the 80's I had aluminum rims, now my rims are carbon, and Jantex works well for me on both rim types.


Jantex is nothing more more than textile dipped in Tubasti cement.
Handy, yes, but not your finest rim cement.

Ciao, ;)

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:45 am
by fdegrove
Hi,

[quoteTried several rolls, but all failed a basic roll test on the outside edges.][/quote]

And where does it matter most?

If and when you want to develop a product that offers (or is supposed to offer) a convenience first and foremost understand the subject then think on the how.

When push comes to shove, you'll quickly notice that the past century engineers wheren't stupid at all and they had all bases covered.

Coming up with brighter ideas is'nt all that simple.....

Ciao, ;)

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:00 pm
by kdogg32
I've been using the Tufo Extreme tape for years without any problems. Can be a bit of a bear to remove the tire out on the road, but I also use and carry Tufo's sealant, which has worked well on small punctures, not that I've had many. I thought gluing was fun in the early days, but now I find it more of a hassle. Both methods have worked well for me.

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:55 pm
by gumgardner
I'd love to see a video of how people remove the tape. Zipp has plenty of gluing up videos but none of the removal. That tells me it's a bitch to remove.

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:17 pm
by fdegrove
Hi,

The easiest way to remove is to not use it in the first place..... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm
by jscottyk
PezTech wrote:There is no "extreme tape" any longer.

They only make one version and it's not the same as extreme any more.

It's all white with an orange backing. The extreme was clear with a weave strip...


According to the description at World Class Cycle it's better than the old Extreme.

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tufo_ex ... strips.htm
"New version of Tufo's very popular gluing tape, supersedes Tufo's Extreme edition. New improved adhesive performs even better than the Extreme tape. This newer tape is slightly wider than the extreme tape that it replaces, offering more coverage of the tire's base tape. The new tape is intended for high climate temperatures, as well as very low temperatures, for road races, track, triathlon and cyclocross

Great for long descents especially with carbon rims which do not dissipate heat as readily as aluminum."

Whatever that means.

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:55 pm
by kdogg32
gumgardner wrote:I'd love to see a video of how people remove the tape. Zipp has plenty of gluing up videos but none of the removal. That tells me it's a bitch to remove.


Hair dryer and pull slowly. Has worked everytime for me over the years.

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:01 am
by fdegrove
Hi,

jscottyk wrote:
PezTech wrote:There is no "extreme tape" any longer.

They only make one version and it's not the same as extreme any more.

It's all white with an orange backing. The extreme was clear with a weave strip...


According to the description at World Class Cycle it's better than the old Extreme.

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tufo_ex ... strips.htm
"New version of Tufo's very popular gluing tape, supersedes Tufo's Extreme edition. New improved adhesive performs even better than the Extreme tape. This newer tape is slightly wider than the extreme tape that it replaces, offering more coverage of the tire's base tape. The new tape is intended for high climate temperatures, as well as very low temperatures, for road races, track, triathlon and cyclocross

Great for long descents especially with carbon rims which do not dissipate heat as readily as aluminum."

Whatever that means.



That's not as knew as you think it is.
My longstanding advise is to stay well away from it. It's not properly engineered for the task at hand.
It's just something that may make your tubular look easier but doesn't.

Ciao, ;)

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:47 am
by CharlesM
It is a new version...

And yes it does make things easier and it works very well...

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 am
by LionelB
I've used this tape once years ago (the regular one not the extreme). It was a major PIA at installation to center the tubular. But this was nothing compared to removing this sh*t from the rim.

Never again.

Mastik one works perfectly and is all I need.

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 am
by Weenie

Re: TufoExtreme Tape

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:28 am
by gumgardner
PezTech wrote:It is a new version...

And yes it does make things easier and it works very well...


Pez...how do you get the tape off of the rim?