KCNC C6 Pinch Bolt

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
simone

by simone

The brake set arrived today. Weighed 'em at about 110 grams each (157 each for the old DA set I took off). Two factors of concern I noticed immediately while setting them up:

First, the pinch bolt for the brake cable is miniscule and does not provide enough bite to inspire confidence. It took a 2 mm allen wrench. In fact, during the initial test after I set them up, the cable pulled from the pinch bolt. I really had to torque down on the pinch bolt, something I am not accustomed to doing; it felt wrong.

Secondly, there's significant flex of the caliper itself while braking. I've never witnessed that before on the Dura Ace set.

This is my first aftermarket caliper set. I intend to go for a lengthy ride tomorrow and am somewhat hesitant. Any thoughts? Is tightening down on that mother to that degree normal?

Thanks.

by Weenie

natefontaine

by natefontaine

It should hold with a normal amount of torque. I just watch the allen bend slightly and that is good. I've got that set, and if you have standard brake cables, you can tighten it down pretty tight without much issue. Comparing flex against DA is not wise, any brake has 'noticeable' flex compared to DA. Just position the pads as close as possible so that there is not wheel rub from sprinting and you are golden.

On aside, I switched out the 1mm allen brake retention bolt it came with, to the 2mm allen bolt from my shimano brakes, much easier to work with and no weight penalty.

simone

by simone

Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention, I did not find a modulation adjustment option, as with the DA brakes, where I can move the caliper to the right or the left for absolute tweaking. I am assuming there is none with the KCNC.