Spada Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Incidentally, are the tyre max pressure recomendations worth adhearing to? My Michelin Pro Races say 8 bars....but they don't feel *that* hard.....

So are the 420s as good as the Ksyriums? Are they bomb proof?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:I seriously doubt the CR350 is as stiff as the ksyriums. The rim is much lighter and has a weight limit on it. If it was so stiff then why so many spokes? The stiffer the rim, the fewer spokes need to support it. The CR350 might be stiffer laterally due to high spoke count, but vertically? Not to sure about that. But I've never ridden them so I might be completly wrong. Anyone own these care to comment?

If the rim depth is the same (CR-350 is 24mm deep) and the wall thickness as well, then it will be as stiff vertically. Laterally it will be stiffer with a higher spoke count as you suggest.

How many cracked Ksyriums have been heard of? I've heard of (and seen) quite a few of them. the 24mm CR-350 would avoid this by having more spokes sharing the load on the spoke holes among more spokes that are also more flexable (better spring rate - the reason why double butted spokes are better than straight guage). The CR-350 built up correctly may just be a better wheel than the Ksyrium, although it won't look as cool, although what I've heard about Spada using them with black CX-Ray spokes might tip that ballance..... :idea:
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

well now that i got an email back, i think i might use my ksyriums for the next couple of months and move on to an areo rim like the spada AC cr420 with black sapim cx-ray spokes.

This is their email back to me:

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in Spada products which Corrado forwarded to us.

We build the CR-350 with Black Cx-Ray spokes, and will also do so with the CR-420 when they are available early in the New Year (they are on order right now).

I would encourage your LBS to place a set on back order if you require them as they will be in short supply.

RRP is $879.95 for the CR-420 with Black CX-Ray spokes. $649.95 for the
CR-350 with Black CX-Rays.

We don't have a complete pricelist with retail pricing for 2004 yet

Thanks,
Mark."

A ruff estimate on how much they would weight spada rear hub is 187g front hub is 65g (60g with carbon axle), both CR420 rims 840g. how much weight for the spokes total 42 black sapim cx-ray spokes (24rear + 18 front). i'd say about 225 grams with nipples. under 1350 grams for these rims?

Superlite

by Superlite

Guess I just got my question answered on the 350's stiffness. Check this out Ol Balde One :wink: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=1849

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Guess I just got my question answered on the 350's stiffness. Check this out Ol Balde One :wink: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=1849

Yep. Stiffer than his Open Pro's

I'm thinking about getting a set of CR-350's with Spada hubs and CX-Ray's for my new bike for when I don't use the Winium/Spada's 8)
Ride lightly!

eddd

by eddd

From Spada

"We build the CR-350 with Black Cx-Ray spokes, and will also do so with the CR-420 when they are available early in the New Year (they are on order right now).
I would encourage your LBS to place a set on back order if you require them as they will be in short supply. "

Who knows of a shop in the U.S. that carries Spada products, or a online source.

Thanks

spytech

by spytech

damn, that article makes me want to sell my ksyriums.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

eddd wrote:From Spada

"We build the CR-350 with Black Cx-Ray spokes, and will also do so with the CR-420 when they are available early in the New Year (they are on order right now).
I would encourage your LBS to place a set on back order if you require them as they will be in short supply. "

Who knows of a shop in the U.S. that carries Spada products, or a online source.

Thanks

Triathlete Zombies, or Light-Bike.com
Ride lightly!

eddd

by eddd

Spytech
Who exactly have you bee corresponding with, your local shop. If so who are they. I will be in New York sometime in the next two weeks and would like to stop by to discuss ordering some wheels.

Thanks

spytech

by spytech

eddd wrote:Spytech
Who exactly have you bee corresponding with, your local shop. If so who are they. I will be in New York sometime in the next two weeks and would like to stop by to discuss ordering some wheels.

Thanks

i emailed spada and they foward my email to royle-wheels@earthlink.net. they are the ones responding to my emails. i do not know if you can order straight from him, or have your LBS contact him and place an order for you. but my friend owns a bike shop here in new york and new jersey. i know someone who has an all road bike shop in fort lee, NJ. pm me and let me know when your going to be in town.