Hood Reach: Shimano, Sram and Campy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cajer

by cajer

Damn. I might need to go campy then... As I am a bit too streched out on even the smallest sized frames (48cm) and stems (80mm) and if I upgrade to 12 speed shimano it'll just get worse.

Too bad eps is only available in super record

DaveS

by DaveS

Sram axs mechanical has about the same reach as Campy mechanical. I use axs mechanical with the levers set to the closest position. Worst case, you might need a 10mm shorter stem with the longest reach hoods.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Frames aren't getting shorter reach, handlebars are still at about 80mm reach, hoods are getting longer. Something has to give. I wonder what will. Either bars will go towards 70mm reach standard or stems will have to get shorter.

cajer

by cajer

robeambro wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:59 am
Frames aren't getting shorter reach, handlebars are still at about 80mm reach, hoods are getting longer. Something has to give. I wonder what will. Either bars will go towards 70mm reach standard or stems will have to get shorter.
Yup that my issue already on 48cm frames with 80mm stems, and integrated bars mean I do have a choice in bar reach. So I can't accept any long reach hoods.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Bit of a retro question, but does anyone know the difference between Shimano 9250 & Red AXS rim brake levers?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Sram Etap have shorter reach than Shimano Di2 6870. Later Shimano have longer reach. You don't need to eyeball this more than a second.
Part from that your really notice right away!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

skeletor2k

by skeletor2k

I can't Tell you the exact reach, but as Farm as i know Shimano 12-speeds reach 4mm longer compared to it's 11 Speed predecessor.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

skeletor2k wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:48 pm
I can't Tell you the exact reach, but as Farm as i know Shimano 12-speeds reach 4mm longer compared to it's 11 Speed predecessor.
Are you sure? ST-R9250 is essentially the rebrand of ST-R9150 with 12 sp compatibility. Red eTap AXS rim shifters also seem like such.

So maybe the original question could be more answerable one: "which is shorter, ST-R9150 vs Red eTap 11sp?" as I believe many people have (had) both.

HBike

by HBike

I have 8100 12sp Ultegra Di2 on race bike and Sram Force Etap AXS on the Gravel. I don't feel any difference in reach and measuring them I don't see a difference beyond 1mm or so, too.
The difference is the less bulky hood shape of the Shimano ( I like that better) and smaller angle of the hood shape rising away from the bar on top. This is more ergonomic on the Shimano, as your hand feels less pressure between thumb and index finger - better for resting your hand against the brake, too. With the Sram this produces a clear barrier pressing against your hand. Resting your hand on the hood-head directly, you can use the additional button switches on top of the Shimano hood additionally - something I find great.

GaBa

by GaBa

Does anyone have an idea about the reach of new Campagnolo WRL levers? They seem "longer" than Shimano ones. Coming from 11s (mech) it might pose quite a difference in reach stemming from levers alone.