Removing 'Lightweight' decals from wheels - Update!!??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

I would ask LW but, in general, all decals should be lazer etched.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LewisK

by LewisK

I worked in a shop and we sold a lot of them, I am 100% sure that the first number? of sets had stickers! I'm pretty sure it was 2012, but don't quote me. I brought a set of meilensteins in 2013 and the logos were 100% etched on!

Prior to 2012, so when they had the Standard, Obermayer and Ventoux, these were all etched. So I think there was just a small time frame where for some reason they used stickers!

I haven't seen a set in the flesh for a couple of years now, so not sure what they do nowadays

tadrums

by tadrums

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Great thread!

Such a shame the Lightweight logo looks like their 16 year old intern made them.

I have the Standard IIIs with four logos per side and thinking of removing 2 for a less cluttered look. I also liked the black sharpie idea!

RDY

by RDY

Lucendi wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:58 am

Such a shame the Lightweight logo looks like their 16 year old intern made them.

At least it's better than the CarbonTi one ...

Nezz0r

by Nezz0r

To OP: concur with the conclusion - the fully blacked out rims are to me not better in appearance. Perhaps a 50/50 is worth a shot - leave 2 white logos? I feel 4x 'Lightweight' is quite strong..

one60

by one60

Check out Speedydecal.com for Lightweight stickers...maybe overlay the white with a matte or gloss black version to tone things down?

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I managed to remove the Lightweight logos using a 2500 grit sandpaper.

Exept for any paint stuck in a pit or a scratch...

There was tonnes of sratches in the clear coat running along side the letters, almost like the clearcoat had been sanded down with the rim spinning and acting as a lathe.

I managed to fix some of this using a permanent marker and blacking it out though.

You can still read the Lightweight logos in the right light, but that's about as good as I could have hoped to get it.

Now to order some fresh decals from Speedydecals :)

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Looks like sandpaper on your heart. Not sure what you're trying to achieve here.

The font of Lightweight is ugly, but it kind of grows on you and adds to the experience. LW's are aimed at an odd audience anyway (in a positive sense of the word).
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Ypuh wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:13 pm
Looks like sandpaper on your heart. Not sure what you're trying to achieve here.

The font of Lightweight is ugly, but it kind of grows on you and adds to the experience. LW's are aimed at an odd audience anyway (in a positive sense of the word).
In my case I have purchased a mismatched wheelset, a Meilenstein front and a Standard III rear.

I wanted to make them to match a bit better.

eurostar

by eurostar

I've been removing the logos from my Fernwegs. They're painted. I also have a pair of Meilenstein Weiss edition which use the same paint.

First I removed a logo with a very sharp knife, resting it on the letters at 90 degrees and scraping gently. This worked but I made a few small, shallow scratches which I polished out with Novus plastic polish. https://www.novuspolish.com/ It's really good - I use it on all sorts of things.

I also tried nail polish remover, which didn't do much. Then I found extra strong nail polish remover, 98% acetone, and it works very well. Takes about 5 minutes of rubbing per letter. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cutex-Ultra-Po ... B06XBBS1WP

Both methods leave a kind of light white shadow of the letters. You can only see it from a close distance in a good light.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

eurostar wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:31 pm
I've been removing the logos from my Fernwegs. They're painted. I also have a pair of Meilenstein Weiss edition which use the same paint.

First I removed a logo with a very sharp knife, resting it on the letters at 90 degrees and scraping gently. This worked but I made a few small, shallow scratches which I polished out with Novus plastic polish. https://www.novuspolish.com/ It's really good - I use it on all sorts of things.

I also tried nail polish remover, which didn't do much. Then I found extra strong nail polish remover, 98% acetone, and it works very well. Takes about 5 minutes of rubbing per letter. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cutex-Ultra-Po ... B06XBBS1WP

Both methods leave a kind of light white shadow of the letters. You can only see it from a close distance in a good light.

Great work! and nice results!

I too found that diluted acetone (nail polish remover) was ineffective, only the 100% pure acetone actually dissolved the paint.

I got the hazy and dull outlines of the letters as well. Ironically, I believe it is the acetone used as a paint thinner in the white paint that has damaged the clear coat.

eurostar

by eurostar

That reminds me - I must get some UV-blocking polish - I'm hoping UV IS the only thing which will damage my wheels! I want them to last for at least 10 years. And I suppose the logo area is now more susceptible to UV damage than the rest of the wheel. I might get this https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/easygl ... sh-protect

Lucendi

by Lucendi

eurostar wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:52 pm
That reminds me - I must get some UV-blocking polish - I'm hoping UV IS the only thing which will damage my wheels! I want them to last for at least 10 years. And I suppose the logo area is now more susceptible to UV damage than the rest of the wheel. I might get this https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/easygl ... sh-protect
I doubt you'll need a UV protectant on top of clearcoat. But 303 Aerospace Protectant would probably be ideally suited for such an application.