Ward Titanium spindles for Speedplay Zeros

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Just email them and I'm sure they have them. I have heard that the alu bowties wear pretty quickly though compared to ti ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

delsol

by delsol

Do you need special tools to swap the spindles?
weight weenie wannabee

aaric

by aaric

delsol wrote:Do you need special tools to swap the spindles?

T20 or T25 torx driver is all. (I can't remember which one). It's actually really simple:

1) Take the grease cap off by unscrewing the phillips a couple turns and pulling on the screw with pliers so that the plastic cap comes out.
2) Take the torx screw out that is underneath.
3) pull the pedal body off the spindle
4) move the o ring from the spindle to the new spindle that seals the grease on the crank side.
5) put the body on the new spindle.
6) put the torx back in
7) put the grease cap in
8) remove the philips from the grease cap
9) grease the pedal (chainsaw lube kit from home depot for $8 works great for this)
10) clean up the mess and reinsert the philips grease cap cover.

I suppose the grease injector is special, sort of. But you should have that to lube the pedals anyways, right?

(http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Cutting-Sy ... B00004RA7R)

motorthings

by motorthings

i have heard too that now speedplay is using stronger (red?) loctite on the torx screw, so it is a good idea to loosen that bond by holding the tip of a soldering iron on the torx head for a bit to soften up the bond and avoid stripping the head.

haven't done it yet, but have the ward spindles in the garage waiting for me to get around to it.

taina

by taina

I took my chromoly zeros to the lbs to have them install Ward spindles. The mechanic got one chromoly spindle out without too much trouble, but the other resisted various removal techniques. He finally drilled it out. All was well when he was done.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

JensW

by JensW

the loctite was blue on al three i changed spindles on about 1 month ago, but it was ALOT of loctite, more then it has been before

Liggero

by Liggero

they come with blue loctite. It's extremely important to put blue loctite on the torx bolt in the new pedals, otherwise, the right pedal, as it has normal thread direction, can go away due to loosening because of pedaling forces. It happened to me!!!!

BTW in ebay they sell also ti spindles from the brand J&L Titanium, from somewhere in Asia. Extremely good quality and only 50$ shipped. Look for them as "loolipop pedals ti spindles".
Happy Trails !!!

Rick

by Rick

rmerka

by rmerka

Rick wrote:Another source
http://dormancyclery.mybigcommerce.com/ ... play-zero/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any experience ?

Yes, good communication and quick shipping. I still have the spindles but I don't use sp pedals anymore. Hated the cleats.

rijndael

by rijndael

Liggero wrote:BTW in ebay they sell also ti spindles from the brand J&L Titanium, from somewhere in Asia. Extremely good quality and only 50$ shipped. Look for them as "loolipop pedals ti spindles".
That's where I got mine.

jkcrowell

by jkcrowell

I got mine through emailing them directly at tispindle at the domain gmaildotcom. They were really responsive in answering.

Honestly, because of my weird feet, I could not even continue to cycle if it weren't for these spindles. I need the longest version because my toes point out when I ride, and my feet are very large. But with the spindles, I can ride without pain. Never had a problem with notchyness.

I'm a clyde and have 4k miles on a pair and they have held up perfectly. As a matter of fact, a I bent a bottom bracket on the bike they were on, and the spindles are still straight as an arrow!

Best cycling purchase I have ever made, by far.

drmutley

by drmutley

Quite commonly, the bearings can feel quite notchy after swapping the spindles, even on new/newish pedals. This is because the cartridge bearings have mated to the original spindle. To prevent this feeling, just replace the cartridge bearings while u have to pedal apart... Costs about $4 and 2 mins per side...

THSdrummer

by THSdrummer

Considering making the switch to Ti spindles.

Any big reason to order the shorter spindles? I've wanted to lower my Q Factor a bit, just want to assure I'm comfortable.
Anyone have any experience with Ward's Ti spindles for Shimano pedals? I'm on a set of SPD-SLs right now.

I'm still looking into Speedplays, just waiting for a deal before I make the move.
2012 Cannondale CAAD10 3 - 8.08Kg
(Just began the weight reduction process)

rijndael

by rijndael

Depending on your shoe, crank arm, and heel-in float, you can start to have clearance issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I am a long-time speedplay user who went to DA last year and I am now thinking of going back. That is why I started doing research on the Ti spindles.
It is almost impossible to get "deals" on new speedplays. They enforce the MSRP very stricty. You can get a deal on used ones on ebay.
The best deal seems to be to buy a CroMo pair and then swap in the Ti spindles.