Ward Titanium spindles for Speedplay Zeros

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

THSdrummer

by THSdrummer

Rick wrote:I am a long-time speedplay user who went to DA last year and I am now thinking of going back. That is why I started doing research on the Ti spindles.
It is almost impossible to get "deals" on new speedplays. They enforce the MSRP very stricty. You can get a deal on used ones on ebay.
The best deal seems to be to buy a CroMo pair and then swap in the Ti spindles.

Interesting. I won't waste my time with upgrading the Shimanos then. I also hadn't thought about upgrading the spindles on CroMos either. I assume the pedal itself is the same between options?

I was planning on ordering the Zero in Stainless Steel, but if I'm removing the spindle, why bother? Unless of course the pedal itself varies, but it doesn't seem like it.
2012 Cannondale CAAD10 3 - 8.08Kg
(Just began the weight reduction process)

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

THSdrummer wrote:Interesting. I won't waste my time with upgrading the Shimanos then. I also hadn't thought about upgrading the spindles on CroMos either. I assume the pedal itself is the same between options?

I was planning on ordering the Zero in Stainless Steel, but if I'm removing the spindle, why bother? Unless of course the pedal itself varies, but it doesn't seem like it.

Pedal is exactly the same from memory. Best upgrade is go straight for the Ward ti spindles, drop a ton of weight and costs a fraction of the price of the stainless or ti Speedplay versions. Such an easy upgrade, I just buy 2nd hand cromo pedals and buy Ward spindles and away you go. Easy as

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

In the past, I have had Zero Cromo, Stainless, and Ti. But I never compared them all critically.
Numerous sources (on the nutterwebs) that seem credible to me have asserted that the pedals on those three are all the same, and the spindle material can be simply swapped. That is what I am assumung is true.

drmutley

by drmutley

Yes, the Ti spindles will fit into cromo or SS no problem... Exactly the same tolerances involved...

welchy

by welchy

Thread revival, but - anybody purchased the J&L Speedplay Spindles from UK eBay or knows how Ward are with shipping to the UK?

MiloAS

by MiloAS

welchy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:28 am
Thread revival, but - anybody purchased the J&L Speedplay Spindles from UK eBay or knows how Ward are with shipping to the UK?
I think you can get them on their ebay store, it's not UK based but shipping/import isn't a that much if i remember. Only slightly more than a domestic shipping.

welchy

by welchy

Cheers, you don’t happen to have an eBay seller in particulr you used. Plenty of different places all stating J&L but not sure which is best to go for!

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I bought these on the 2nd of this month and they have not arrived yet. I'll post up thoughts once they do.
Ward no longer makes them.

welchy

by welchy

Cheers man, that would be awesome! I’ve got a spare set of chromos and some new bearings ready to build a set. Keen to hear thoughts!

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

The J & L titanium parts showed up. I should have them all put together soon but for the moment here are the pictures. I think they should look pimp once I get them on the white pedals. And I have an almost new 2007 Cannondale SystemSix HealthNet which is great b/c I was on HealthNet so this will be a fun way to kind of go back in time, I'll just be a lot slower this time

rlanger

by rlanger

Been using J&L titanium spindles for about 6 months and they've been perfect.

I think I paid about $18 on eBay auction rather than But it Now.

ms6073

by ms6073

mattcooke wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:51 am
I'll just be a lot slower this time

Need more pics of the dog. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Enzo pics and pedal pics coming up soon!
Enjoy your weekend brothers! Bust out some good rides.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

These turned out really well! I have yet to ride them though but they look great. They are lighter than stock Speedplay Ti pedals and the total costs less. So yes this seems to be the way to go. If they ride fine I am going to get my wife pink pedals with the same gold pieces. And here is Ezno the dog!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com