SRAM Force shifter repair?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jo.k

by jo.k

Hi all,

Any chance of repairing my broken left shifter? I.e. are replacement parts readily available from SRAM?

Don't quite know how to explain this - the tapered hole where the barrel at the end of the derailleur cable is supposed to sit, broke off, and now exists more as a rounded edge. As a result the cable will tend to spring out from where it's supposed to sit... Can i just replace the red plastic wheel thingy and off we go?

Any other solutions?

This is the new 2010 style shifter with alternate cable routing. Pretty new, this is only the second cable installment...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skyleth

by Skyleth

yes, SRAM shifters are completely rebuildable, and all their parts are available to be ordered; not sure of the availability of parts in Norway, if you can make an international call, the tech support at SRAM is pretty helpful.
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

jo.k

by jo.k

Thanks!

Any idea how to explain what part I try to obtain? :noidea:

Tried to find exploded view of the shifters, but could not make out what was what...

Skyleth

by Skyleth

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're refering to either... is it in the photo below? (i know it's an older style lever body)

it also sounds like you may be refering to the groove the cable housing sits in on the body of the lever itself, and not a part of the shift mechanisim?
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

DaveS

by DaveS

I've never seen any parts listed other than the brake lever and finger lever. From what I understand, internal damage is usually "fixed" with a warranty replacement of the whole shifter. Can anyone post a link to an exploded view with all of the part numbers, like Campy offers?

sodapop

by sodapop

DaveS wrote:I've never seen any parts listed other than the brake lever and finger lever. From what I understand, internal damage is usually "fixed" with a warranty replacement of the whole shifter. Can anyone post a link to an exploded view with all of the part numbers, like Campy offers?

Here you go:
http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/view.php?catID=4&subcatID=0

jo.k

by jo.k

As marked in picture, it is where the barrel at the end of the shift cable sits. The red plastic thing in the picture is what would need be replaced.
Attachments
hero-larger.jpg

DaveS

by DaveS

sodapop...

And just like I said, there are no parts of the shifting mechanism listed - only brake and shift levers, band clamp, brake hoods, a spring and some trivial screws. There is NOTHING to repair the shift mechanism.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/201 ... ice%20list).pdf

jo.k

by jo.k

Anyone else care to comment on rebuildability?

sodapop

by sodapop

jo.k wrote:Anyone else care to comment on rebuildability?

I can't directly answer the question, but I did ask a pro-SRAM shop owner about it yesterday. He said that he couldn't order the shifter guts from his supplier. I wouldn't necessarily take that answer as authoritative that it can't be done, but it doesn't sound good.

The shop owner said that the SRAM rep would occasionally give him small parts bags containing screws, etc. Whenever they had an issue with a SRAM part, SRAM would warranty it promptly, and he said they would freqently send out a replacement to the shop the same day, in advance of receiving the defective item. He characterized their support as fantastic and problems with the equipment minimal.

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

My personal experience with SRAM is they will promptly replace jsut about anything that does not SCREAM abuse.

I'd take it to your local SRAM dealer and see it it will warranty out.

paulo76

by paulo76

Last night I had my 4th lever break. This time a force. All break in the same place. I've had 2x rival 09 1xapex 10 and a 1x force 09. Surely this part needs to sold as spare. Id happily pay ot be given the part so I don't have the hassle of changing lever and all the cables.

better still. SRAM! CHANGE THE DESIGN, IMPROVE YOUR MATERIALS!

egebhardt

by egebhardt

I'm looking for a rebuild option too.
I just called SRAM in Chicago, IL to verify.
The original SRAM Force and Rival version levers will break.
The "Zero Loss" 2008 RED version does not have this problem.
The "Zero Loss" 2012 RED version does not have this problem.
The newer 2012 SRAM Force "Zero Loss" version does not have this problem.

SRAM only covers parts sold at a bike shop, for 2 years, with receipt.
Shimano Dura Ace and XTR only parts, are covered for 3 years, from anyone. New or used.
Eric in San Carlos, CA

zambony

by zambony

I had the problem twice with my force shifters as well (the very first gen, when they cam out). The shifters were new out of the box.

easy operation DIY, just need to be careful. I don't remember where I get the piece from... probably some crashed shifters from the bike shop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com