Tektro RX-40 brake calipers..same weight as DA7800 calipers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53-11

by 53-11

I've got a question regarding the Tektro RX-40 brake calipers found on bikes such as the Fuji Team Super light. http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=5#

I know these are nothing compared to Zero gravity Ti's, but they are only 312 grams (approx same weight as DA7800) and can be had for $45 at places like AirBomb and AEBike.

I'm building up a decent frame, but I need to keep this fairly low budget.

What are your opinions of this product?

I'm also wondering if the calipers are truly light weight or did they just throw on some really light pads to make it look good on paper?

Thanks

hero

by hero

Hallo. I use the Tectro RX40 since 1 year without any problems. The weight of the rear brake is 157,3g and 161g for the front caliper with brake shoes. My set of calipers was delivered with Dura type brake shoes (normal weight).
The performance of the brake is not bader than a DURA ACE caliper when chahnging the brake pads to DURA type.
Result: Very good money / value rate.
I lightweighted the caliper by using some aluminium screws for fitting the pads and the cable. The brake is still performing good and weight comes down 6g per caliper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I'm also wondering if the calipers are truly light weight or did they just throw on some really light pads to make it look good on paper?

Normally the weigt is stated w/o cartridges. I think this goes for the Tektro as well.
They're still O.K weightwise though.

In fact they look very similar to these:

http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?KAT_ID=1524&PRD_ID=12422&spr_id=3&MID=0&CID=175

310g per set.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.