Hollowgram SI vs. Hollowgram SI SL?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Perfect, Starnut. Thanks for the info.. I was hoping a rational company like Cannondale wouldn't introduce version compatibility problems. Now, I wonder if the weight savings of the SL crankarm bolts is worth the replacement cost...?

STARNUT

by STARNUT

They're like $22 :noidea: . It's a $900 crank.......... it's worth it :lol:

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bhodgkiss

by bhodgkiss

how do the carbon Si hollowgram cranks copare for weight and stiffness?

Doolop

by Doolop

Very off topic. Why the HELL did someone take a picture of their crankarm going 100mph?

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

According to Cannondale testing done in 2005....

Dura Ace benchmark 7800 : 745 g (include bb), 854 g/in (stiffness)

Cannondale SI Carbon : 734 g (incl BB), 855 g/in (stiffness)

Cannondale SI : 660 g (incl BB), 939 g/in (stiffness)

I recall seeing somewhere that the sisl is approximately the same stiffness as the si, but lighter. The numbers very well may be higher up in this thread.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

Doolop wrote:Very off topic. Why the HELL did someone take a picture of their crankarm going 100mph?

Becuase he's the Stig

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

Awesome, I always wanted to be the Stig...

That's what happens when you're talking to STARNUT on the phone about the crank and he asks for a picture.
Doing bike things.

dandancast

by dandancast

Here the weight from my SL BB30 Crank.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Crank Drama!

Well... My cranks finally arrived, and I picked up all the small BB bits I didn't have (including the sisl crankarm bolts, Starnut!)
So, I have the SI version, silver with black spider and black SISL bolts and bearing shields for my BBQ black CAAD9, (with silver ilinks, of course.)

Just like yours, Starnut (but in a BB30 frame :lol: ).

The install started fine, although the spindle did take some good hard taps to get it in. Go to install arms, decide to use one shim to start... Hardly get any torque on the bolt and the wave washer has flattened out. Try again with no shims.. Same story. Something is wrong.

I disassemble and measure everything. Could the bearings be pressed incompletely? Nope 65.25mm wide outside to outside. (.75mm wider than the standard calls for, but maybe within tolerance. I don't know. My bearing shields are slightly outside the BB shell, so maybe this is a problem.). I measure the spindle... Wait a minute. The Cannondale pdfs for the SI (2005) say it should be a 106mm spindle, but mine measures 103. Ahh man.

Seems like I got an unidentified spindle. And my cranks will not work without purchasing a new spindle. I've actually never had an e-bay situation like this arrise. The description claimed new and unused..SI The rings definitely fit this.. crank arms, probably. The spindle, however, has been used (or installed long enough) to mark the bearing surfaces significantly. Also, the chain rings that came with it are the no-nuts MKV, which I believe is a hollogram SISL setup? Can anyone tell me where a 103mm spindle comes from? The MKV no-nut rings? Definitively what year(s) are the SI silver hollowgrams?

Alternatively, I like the idea of a really tight q-factor, is there a slimmer bearing shield solution than the 2mm shields I have now?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

53x12

by 53x12

dandancast wrote:Here the weight from my SL BB30 Crank.

Dan,
Any chance you weighed the chain rings, bottom bracket, crank arms separately?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

range
Shop Owner

by range

Interesting info about the Hollowgram cranks. It is quite light for a metal crank.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

So, if a thread about the differences between versions of Cannondale's revered hollowgram crankset doesn't belong in the Road forum and gets bumped to Chat... What does belong? It existed over there for a long time.

53x12

by 53x12

Yeah JN2Wheels I agree. I have been a member here a long time, and now I am getting confused about what belongs in either category. While I think the mods are helping out, it seems like it is getting more confusing since we don't have direction.

The description of the road forum: "Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts." is exactly what this thread was. Discussion about light weight road crank, i.e. Hollowgram. Now the cycle chat is: "Chat about everything light bicycle related. No off-topic chat please." Not sure what "chat about everything light bicycle related means"?? This thread definitely belongs in the road forum imho.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

LegalizeMyCAAD9

by LegalizeMyCAAD9

I was just thinking about opening a thread the other day about it.

I mean no disrespect to the moderators but it's getting really confusing and quite annoying.

Been a forum member for a while and never noted any major issue, other than a few spammers trying to sell iPhones on the classifieds section once in a while...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Well back on topic, is there a difference in the chain rings from the SI to the SI SL?