Hollowgram SI vs. Hollowgram SI SL?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

dereksmalls wrote:Sorry to drag this thread up, but can how fit a pair of Hollowgram SISL (which are BB30) onto a BMC SLR which is BB86? What sort of BB adapter would I need? Or should I just forget about it and get a Lightning crankset in BB86 straight away and avoid the additional adapter weight?

Don't think it will. The chain line is likely going to be 9mm off to the right if you can even get the cranks to fit using a longer axle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Sorry derek that won't work. BB30 will take any modern crank (mostly) as it has the smallest width shell (68mm) and largest bore (30mm spindle) so a GXP crank which is designed around an 86mm BB width (BB86, english thread, BB90) will fit as it has the spindle length. The 24mm GXP spindle width will also comfortably fit inside the BB30 BB shell (24mm spindle instead of 30mm it was designed for) but will need adapters to reduce the cavity to only 24mm.

BUT a BB30 crank which is essentially 68mm wide cannot get through a BB86/english/BB90/GXP BB shell which is 86mm - it is 18mm short. You can make the 30mm spindle fit the BB86 shell, which is designed for a 24mm spindle but the bearings have to then be very small and will not last long, but that still leaves you without the spindle length. What about a hollowgram MTB spindle which is >130mm I hear you ask - well the q factor (width between pedal threads would then be massive and as ultimo said the chainline will be wrong -> the bike will shift like shit and you will have your legs spread like you are giving birth.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

uraqt

by uraqt

derek,

So you are going to have to do some math and research, but it's my understanding that the raceface next sl axel is the same as the Hollowgram.

raceface makes a BB92 axel. worth looking into ....

C

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Cheers all. Seems like quite a bit of hard work so think I'll flag that one and just look at the Lightning crank in BB86 configuration instead via Fairwheel bikes, looks to be a whole lot easier.

jason9020

by jason9020

Any Major difference in crankarm going from Sisl to Sisl2? Isn't it only minimal material shaving? If so, it seems not worth paying the extra cash for the updated version and actually cheaper to buy an older Sisl set and spider ring separately.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The SI SL2 has about a 15g saving per crank arm. The Spindle is also longer, and the preload is all set on the nondriveside, so chainline is constant. The taper of the arms has been changed so q factor is apparently not affected.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonamed

by nonamed

I have Synapse 2014 with Hollowgram SI Crankset:
and now I wonder if I can mount chainring from SISL2 crank :/

Anyone know? I can not figure out if the spindle is the same length in both sets and I the only thing i need is SISL2 chainring.

According to this:
Looks like the spindle should be the same - 109mm in both cranksets :/

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

The SISL Spider Ring will be a direct replacement for the model year 2013+ SI spider. May I ask, what is the reason, the Spider Rings limit your choices in chainrings so much?

nonamed

by nonamed

I want to save some extra weight from crank and I think spidering is the best choice? :/ As far as I know it will allow me to save ~50 grams in comaprison to FSA rings.
Complete SISL2 crankset with ligher arms etc. is unfortunately too much for my pocket

But I need to be sure that the spindle length in both sets is the same length (casue I see that there was also 104mm length) and everything will nicely fit without any additional parts.

then as I hope I will need only cannodale Spider Lockring Removal Tool to remove the lockring from the spider and then install again on spidering+drive side crankarm. Right?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

nonamed wrote:I want to save some extra weight from crank and I think spidering is the best choice? :/ As far as I know it will allow me to save ~50 grams in comaprison to FSA rings.
Complete SISL2 crankset with ligher arms etc. is unfortunately too much for my pocket

But I need to be sure that the spindle length in both sets is the same length (casue I see that there was also 104mm length) and everything will nicely fit without any additional parts.

then as I hope I will need only cannodale Spider Lockring Removal Tool to remove the lockring from the spider and then install again on spidering+drive side crankarm. Right?

Lockring removal tool and crank are extractor. Also that is nothing an FSA BB30 spacer wouldn't take up, FSA has BB30 spacers in a variety of sizes and their 2.5mm spacers come in a pack of two.

nonamed

by nonamed

WheresWaldo wrote:
nonamed wrote:I want to save some extra weight from crank and I think spidering is the best choice? :/ As far as I know it will allow me to save ~50 grams in comaprison to FSA rings.

Lockring removal tool and crank are extractor. Also that is nothing an FSA BB30 spacer wouldn't take up, FSA has BB30 spacers in a variety of sizes and their 2.5mm spacers come in a pack of two.

Do not get it. You mean I will need 2.5mm DRIVE SIDE SPACER ??:

masterpiou

by masterpiou

Hi guys,

I have an Hollowgram SI crankset, with compact spider, Carbon-Ti 50/36 rings, PF30 bottom bracket (68mm), and 104mm spindle.

I'd like to know if I can put a Spidering 50/34 on this crank? If it's ok, what will I have to change please? 109mm spindle only?

Thanks a lot,
Phil

uraz

by uraz

Chainrings only

by 11.4

I'm just getting a 2015 CAAD10 with the Hollogram Si crankset and FSA 36/52 rings. This will be a crit frame -- nice and stiff and not so expensive that I'll race to protect it. However, the cranks are the wrong length for me (they're 170) and the wrong rings, so I'm going to remove them before use and replace. Can someone tell me

(a) with all the discussion of extra spacers, is the 2015 CAAD10 frame straight BB30 without any spacers needed?

(b) is there a ready market for these cranks? Very nice and very stiff, just not my length. I'd be selling the bottom bracket, cranks, and rings.

masterpiou

by masterpiou

uraz wrote:Chainrings only

Ok, thanks!
I thought I could swap the chainrings with Spidering by changing the 104mm spindle for a 109mm spindle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com