SRAM Red Rear Derailleur Tuning

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bura

by bura

UpFromOne wrote:regarding the teflon on the bolt comment a few posts up, what exact action are you talking about? putting teflon around the bolt shank?

Yes.

Sram does not like people using aftermarket light pulleys in their light derailleurs. They want us to use their 20+ grams jockey wheels.
But WW's are smart. 8) They wrap some Teflon tape around the bolt shank or in other words the cylindrical no thread shaft of the M4 bolt (other bolt is M5) and bridge the slight gap within aftermarket pulley centers which are all?? built for M5 bolts. Works perfect and getting rid of the heavy Sram pulleys can save up to 18 ,19 grams. :thumbup:
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

gumgardner

by gumgardner

bura wrote:
gumgardner wrote:Luckily I got them on eBay for only $50. They spin like crazy if they aren't over tightened. Maybe I'll try the Teflon...or just switch over to my fibre-lytes and lose a gram :wink:

Yes this is a good idea. A better one is to spend 40 bucks for 10T jockey wheels which are even 2.5gram lighter than the BTP pair. :wink:

:wink: you'll find the BTP on eBay lol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

My new Red RD arrived today, and it was disassembled soon after I stepped into my garage. It took all of a couple minutes of fitting my Fiberlyte pulleys (thanks mises!) to encounter the dreaded 4mm bolt issue on the bottom pulley mount. I'll try the teflon tape "fix" to get going, but I prefer a proper remedy, like a M5 bolt with the threads recut to M4.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Teflon tape is a proper remedy. It's not like there is a huge load on a jockey wheel. Or buy this and cut it at the cost of a gram. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBJXK&P=FR

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Another dumb q: does anyone know if there's room in the upper pivot to tap it M5? Is there sufficient wall thickness?

bura

by bura

UpFromOne wrote:Another dumb q: does anyone know if there's room in the upper pivot to tap it M5? Is there sufficient wall thickness?

Can't be done. Sram took care of it that we not simply tap it up to M5. A very thin plate and insufficiant wall thickness.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

steff

by steff

My new sram red rear derailleur with light tuning
carbonschmiede plate
extralite pulleys
carbon bolts
Attachments
cintre mcfk 012.jpg

artray

by artray

I tried the AFC jockey wheels, they claim to be the lightest in the world at 5.2grms a pair. They are fine but
as I climb in my big ring all the time I was a bit worried about the stress on them , plus Im not a skinny skinny build . I picked up a pair of gold carbon jockey wheels that weigh 8grms a pair and feel a lot more secure. I would say the AFC jockey wheels are great if your not to big and use yor gears more conservatively. If any one wants to buy the AFC's give us a pm.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

The best pulley wheels are from fibre-lyte. I had the AFK ones but the bearing kept popping out. The FL don't use bearings.

artray

by artray

I nearly got the the fibre-lyte pulleys , but the ones I use weigh the same and are gold carbon ,they look awesome.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I'm going to try and super glue the bearings into place, but I'm worried the glue will seize up the bearings. At this point though, I can't use the pulley anyway.

artray

by artray

That is what I did . I super glued them and turned them at the same time so that the glue never stuck.
They never came off after that even climbing on my big ring ,53t, right across on my 25. I just did not want the worry in case the chain did get jammed etc, rear mech in the spokes or even worse , so I put the carbon ones on . It is only a 2 gram gain and they feel much better. If your not to extreme with your gears and not to heavy then I think the AFC's are fine. They look pretty cool as well .

lechat

by lechat

voodoojar wrote:Teflon tape is a proper remedy. It's not like there is a huge load on a jockey wheel. Or buy this and cut it at the cost of a gram. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBJXK&P=FR

I used a modified cable end ferule. negligible weight gain.

Brunch

by Brunch

Sorry guys if this is a very basic question. One of my jockey wheels from my sram red just desintegrated yesterday and broke my cage in the process. I saw in this post that you guys have changed the cages and jockey wheels. I have checked some of the links provided, but some are broken and others are no longer in business.

Can you provide any hints on where to find a full carbon cage for my SRAM? By full I mean both the internal and external parts. Also, any clues on hoy to change the internal piece of the cage? Finally, any good jockey wheels that your recommend? They don't have to be the lightest, but ones that have a good price to weight ratio. Also that they don't desintegrate like the original ones ;-)

Thanks!

Bruno

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stockie

by Stockie

Hi,

Do you guys think it is possible to make your own carbon back plate and pulley wheels? In fact those are 'flat surfaces' which don't need a difficult mold...
I Will make the leap