Sub 1000g wheelset for sub US$1000? - Ride report p12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

athletic91 wrote:Mine came in at 1050g

Pic with my pedalforce RS2

I have those same skewers and I do not like them, they are not nearly as nice as even some of the cheaper Chinese skewers and definitely not nearly as good as KCNC's.

aidanr

by aidanr

Out of interest, what's the difference between the Soul Prodigy V3 and V3.1 hubs, other than $30?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

aidanr wrote:Out of interest, what's the difference between the Soul Prodigy V3 and V3.1 hubs, other than $30?

From my recollection of an email exchange with Sean, the rear hub is a bit lighter and now has 6 pawls.

delsol

by delsol

Any of you guys riding with the 20mm clinchers?
weight weenie wannabee

aidanr

by aidanr

WheresWaldo wrote:
aidanr wrote:Out of interest, what's the difference between the Soul Prodigy V3 and V3.1 hubs, other than $30?

From my recollection of an email exchange with Sean, the rear hub is a bit lighter and now has 6 pawls.

Cheers.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

athletic91 wrote:xnavalav8r

Have u gave it a second chance to see if the spoke came loose again

Yes. In fact, while riding in Australia the spoke completely backed out of the nipple which wound up inside the rim. I actually tied the spoke to the next adjacent spoke with some kind of vine growing on the side of the road and gingerly pedalled home. I was able to fish out the nipple without removing the tire (phew!) and get the spoke back on.

No magnet = no problems.

athletic91

by athletic91

try mounting a magnet to another spoke..

i belive its a particular unlucky spoke

athletic91

by athletic91

delsol wrote:Any of you guys riding with the 20mm clinchers?

Ive seen one in my local community. came up to 1280g even with light 280g hubs/Aerolite spokes 20/24

In my opinion its better to get the soul 2 clincher at 1308g with added durability and at a lower pricepoint

The whole purpose of a 20mm wheelset is a target of 1000g wheelset.
(against the sprit of WW, i stupidly glued on some conti sprinters)

juanfco3

by juanfco3

is there a website or a phone number that i can order two 20mm tubi rims, I have some C-4 hubs that i need to build up

delsol

by delsol

athletic91 wrote:
delsol wrote:Any of you guys riding with the 20mm clinchers?

Ive seen one in my local community. came up to 1280g even with light 280g hubs/Aerolite spokes 20/24

In my opinion its better to get the soul 2 clincher at 1308g with added durability and at a lower pricepoint

The whole purpose of a 20mm wheelset is a target of 1000g wheelset.
(against the sprit of WW, i stupidly glued on some conti sprinters)

I have been looking for low profile carbon clinchers for a while now.
I am not planning to build a under the 1000gr wheelset,that's the reason i want clinchers.
weight weenie wannabee

fettling

by fettling

For the spoke loosening issues it might be worth trying some linseed oil or dt threadlock on the threads.
I have used linseed oil for plenty of lightweight wheel builds with great results. It dries in about 24hours to a hard wax that has been great for stopping spokes twisting. Can be easily broken with a spoke key if you have to do any trueing of the wheel. Although you will ideally have to re-apply.
http://www.shinycufflinks.co.uk
Dura Ace, Campagnolo Record and SRAM Cufflinks

pino76

by pino76

WheresWaldo wrote:
pino76 wrote:
WheresWaldo wrote:
chrisw28 wrote:Just got my wheels built up...gonna glue on some tyres tonight. Archtek 20mm rims, cx-rays, 1037grams

Just built up the same wheels, wound up at 1036g. Acrhtek 20mm, Soul Prodigy v3.1 hubs (Black with blue endcaps), Sapim CX-Rays, DT Alloy nipples (Blue).

What lenght of spoke did you use, and how did you figure out the lenght. did you use a spokecalculator?

Both spokecalc and DT come out with the same measurements. Problem is Sean has not update his site in a while other than the new pricing for v3.1 and not all the measurements are accurate. Here is what you need to use:

BikeSoul v3.1 Front:
Spoke hole: 2.4
Diameter, LF: 31.0
Width from center, LF: 39.3
Diameter, RF: 31.0
Width from center, RF: 39.3

BikeSoul v3.1 Rear:
Spoke hole: 2.4
Diameter, LF: 35.5
Width from center, LF: 48.0
Diameter, RF: 59.0
Width from center, RF: 17.5

These measurements were verified using digital calipers.

Thanks, I did notice that the numbers on the website were incorrect.
I used the DT and sapim spokecalculator, and with a ERD of 606 the calculation said the spokes should be 288 mm (front radial, rear nds radial ds 2x)

I measured the ERD with 2 spokes from 200mm with a niple glued on it... measured between the spokes (206mm) and ad 400mm = ERD of 606mm.

I also noticed the the holes in the rear hub were quite large, I will build this set with spokeheadwashers in the rear.

Everhard

by Everhard

Post revival time... Hi all I've been lurking for a while, and now finally time to post up. I've just ordered a pair of 50mm rims from www.farsports.cn - they have a regular and light version I went with the light one's which are quoted as being approx 320g each. Along with that I've ordered the Soul Prodigy V3 hubs which should be on their way to me now as well.. Once I've got both I'll order spokes, haven't made my mind of between the Sapim and the DT Swiss aero spokes...
I know this set won't make it under the 1000g mark but hopefully not too far off while keeping it budget concious.

If anyone has built up a set of wheels using the same components please let me know if you have any issues, comments etc.

Lastly as I am reviving this thread for those that have been putting more and more miles (or km's!) under their wheels any update would be great! Total km's ridden thus far, did they wheels need any work in that time, etc.

This set I'm building will be a 'prototype' and if it's successful I've got a bunch of friends that are ready for me to build them some rims as well... Hope it works out!

E.

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

I've done no more mileage on mine. They're hanging up safely in the garage waiting for spring. Back on the winter bike now with Shimano RS20s. The wheels are are actually over double the weight of the 'Oriental Specials'.

athletic91

by athletic91

Think its about time i give a review after 200km..

Rider 120lbs
Bike 14lbs

Pair with some 22mm conti sprinter tubulars the ride like a rock...Feels very bumpy which make me felt like a basketball on the road.

For stiffness i cant comment as im pretty light

The iniitial build process was easy, however i had to retrue it twice during the initial 50km of use

This wheels spin up very fast , however i struggle to hold speeds over 28mph, even when tucked in the draft. i wonder it is is due to the lack of initial or the shallow depth of the wheels, cant blame the hubs as they are very smooth.

Pair with SS yellow pads, braking is smooth and effective but the rims heat up very quickly

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com