BH G5 in Taiwan..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Hold on - cogsci didn't you only just start working in a bike store last month and, by your own admission, got a job in a bike store to learn about the industry?

So absolutely no offence to you and your opinion, but it hardly feels like your review is coming from a position of years of experience testing and working with bikes....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

cogsci wrote:
I think the consumer's money would be better served else where.

Have you had a chance to test ride it yet?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Read the last page again 53x12...

cogsci wrote:I had a chance to ride one for two weeks.

53x12

by 53x12

Tinea Pedis wrote:Read the last page again 53x12...

cogsci wrote:I had a chance to ride one for two weeks.

Thanks, I had a brief brain fart. :)
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

Found some new pics of the G5:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I like the 'semi-intergrated' seat post design.

mainstreetbikes

by mainstreetbikes

cogsci wrote:I had a chance to ride one for two weeks. I tested the Cervelo S3, R3, and a Tarmac in the same week. I unfortunately was not too fond of the BH. The front end felt stiff and very responsive but the rear end felt mushy and not tracking correctly with the front end of the bike. I felt the bike was smaller in some sort of qualitative manner and felt jumpier. I spent some time descending on very long and steep hills and I wasn't very confident in it's handling coming down the mountain at 50mph. Aesthetically I think the bike is gorgeous but there is something fundamentally odd about the frame, I tried compensating for the shorter head tube via fit and I tried various wheel sets along the way. So in the end I think the consumers money would be best spent on another bike. The only long non-biased review I could find on the web was here:
http://www.epictrain.com/Product_BH_G4.html
and although the review was on the g4 I felt the exact way about his comments on unstable out of saddle efforts.

Where exactly did you get a chance to spend two weeks on a G5? I am a BH dealer so I admit that I am biased, but you posted this on the 21st and the first G5's to hit the states for resale got here on the 15th. The only models in the states before that were demo models that magazines got to review , and so far, those reviewers have responded favorably, and one refuses to return the bike. You must be quite privileged to get to ride this bike and those other high end bikes before anyone aside from some designated press do.

I ride a G4 and like many others I found its fault in front end stiffness (lacking), rough at times, and very quick handling but the positives of the bike (flat out fast) more than made up for those shortcomings. I got a G5 in as soon as I could (Monday) and This bike is amazing. It takes the faults of the G4 and makes up for them in spade. I confidently sprinted in and out of corners, and felt very secure on the bike.
I have ridden tons of high end carbon, ti, and various material frames and the G4 ranks among the top 10 and the G5 is vying for first

Also, "shorter head tube"? what size are you riding? I ride a 57 G4 which has a fairly tall head tube at 175mm, and the G5 is 185 in a 57cm. Tell us the size you tested, and the size of the other bikes and the height of their head tubes. Also, you reference an online post about the G4, is the review you posted for the G4 or the G5? Because they are significantly different bikes.

Tom Waggener

PS- the photos just posted above are from my shop and I am thrilled to see them popping up elsewhere on the internet. the top two my brother took (he is becoming an amazing photographer) and the third is mine. Glad you found the pics!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Tom - if next time your bro could sort of drape something over the workshop that would be :thumbup:

Simply so we can admire this beautiful bike all the more :wink:

djconnel

by djconnel

The bike looks great: I really like the paint job. But Tom, how much did the frame weigh? (surely you checked)

P.S. I think the photos are fine as is. A little background makes the bike look real.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

The fork blends in with the background :?

53x12

by 53x12

mainstreetbikes wrote:
PS- the photos just posted above are from my shop and I am thrilled to see them popping up elsewhere on the internet. the top two my brother took (he is becoming an amazing photographer) and the third is mine. Glad you found the pics!

Tom thank you for your post. Also thanks for the great pictures of the G5. Your brother did a great job with them. We look forward to your contribution on the forum; hopefully it is more than just saying hello. :). As you noticed we are very obsessed with weight as djconnel showed with his weight. So if you get the chance, please posts pics with the weight of the frame and fork. Also a full review would be great! A lot of us are very very excited about the G5, and up to now there have been very few reports. Thanks for stopping by.

mainstreetbikes

by mainstreetbikes

Thanks for the all the replies guys, and I will post more often:

1) My brother is an Artist, or I should say Arteest. His work is gorgeous and he goes for making the bikes look cool, sexy, what have you. But when I start getting huffy about dropout detail and say "hey man, just make this bike look like what it is, I have to get it online" he screams at me with a fake french accent about background diffusion and then goes and sulks in his trailer (kids treehouse)

2) The bike came with cranks installed and I had a customer coming to test that afternoon, so the scale was foregone to get it assembled. However, someone is coming to buy my G4 and I am selling them the ultegra build kit, so the G5 will be stripped and prepped for a scale hanging by mid day, or sometime after all of the ironman contestants have to part with their bikes around 2. I will post weights immediately.

I can say that my G4 with SRAM red, Look keo sprints, two carbon cages, a polar computer and Fulcrum Racing 1's with Tubeless came in at 15 pounds 3 ounces. Oh, and I have KCNC brakes, but that will change when I build up the G5 cause I likes my teeth.

The G5 with full ultegra SL, FSA alloy bars and stem, and Mavic ksyrium Equippes (I like to call them the middle piggie) with a set of look keo sprints weighed in at 17 pounds 4 ounces. I think the tires might be lead as well. Anyway, the frame will be weighed lovingly by virgins later and I will post the results.

Oh, my G4 is a 57 and the G5 in stock is a 56. BH usually does claimed weights of 54's

tom

bJay

by bJay

On a purely cosmetic and shallow note, is anyone else a little put off at how much the Top Tube seems to slope...?
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

mainstreetbikes

by mainstreetbikes

Just stripped the G5 for the kit and said adieu to my G4. Not much time before a quick lunch, but I threw it on the scale with
Fork, headset, compression plug, top gap, seat clamp, seat post, BB adapter, der. hanger and all in it weighs 4 pounds 1 ounce in a 56.
I will try and get a frame only weight later, but it's a bit busy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

The_Dude wrote:Would you guys all agree that any bike that is not lugged is made by a Chinese speaking person?

Who cares? What does this have to do with this thread? Your elitist posts are starting to get annoying. :unbelievable:
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."