Ritchey Stubby [and Light Alternatives]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RoadGuy

by RoadGuy

I was hoping that offsetting the seat all the way back would do the trick. For 10 years I used a Thompson Masterpiece with no built-in offset and maintained a good position over the pedals. The design of the Tune Cappy limits the amount of offset because the upper seat rail jaws are significantly outside of the lower support for the rails. Honestly, I did not expect a 3/4" (2cm) difference.

The Tune Cappy is a splendid part. I waited 2-3 months for it to become available at Fairwheel. It saddened me to return it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

I've just gone thru the same search for an upgrade over the Ritchey Stubby that came stock on my Cento Uno. See thread on FairwheelBike forum on it: http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8183

I just ordered the Woodman IT seat mast topper w/25mm setback for $120 from http://www.twohubs.com/p-375-woodman-integrated-seatpost-it-series.aspx. I'll post a review when I get it on the bike in several weeks.

The Woodman company site is: http://www.woodmancomponents.com/Web/Company.asp?Lng=ENbut offers little detail...
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

djconnel

by djconnel

Fortunately, the ISP movement appears to have been an evolutionary dead-end and this topic is less important than it once was.

LouisN

by LouisN

I was wondering if some members have cut their ISP and used a standard seatpost and clamp instead, with weight savings at the end ....?

Louis :)

elviento

by elviento

djconnel wrote:Fortunately, the ISP movement appears to have been an evolutionary dead-end and this topic is less important than it once was.

Frankly, if adjustability is not an issue, I truly believe ISP is a superior design. For people who know their fit, there really isn't any need to adjust for more than 10mm.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Sorry for grave digging a bit but I am looking to find out if anyone has used a regular seatpost and clamp instead of a mast topper? It seems that type of question has been asked a few times but with no answer. Is anyone with an integrated seatmast using a regular post? I cant see any problems with doing it but would like some real world confirmation and pics of course! :thumbup:
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

MDH

by MDH

Researching isp options. Somewhere on the site is a photo of a a seat mast with an internal post, but with a custom spacer. Very clean lines. Anyone know which combo I'm talking about? I've searched for ages but can't find it. It's not the BmanX/English/Thomson one. Though similar.
Any help appreciated.

brearley

by brearley

Is there any update on this. I've searched online for most stubbys.
most are either prohibitively expensive or not the right size.
I'm looking for one for an fm029 but I think it's possible to fit a 34.9 clamp on it. the internal diameter is 31.6, the external is 37 which is crazy so if anybody knows a cheap light 34.9 or simply has a ritchey stubby for sale let me know.

brearley

by brearley

so I've not found anyone with a ritchey stubby spare in 34.9 so will be ordering one.
can anybody tell me which one is lighter the 50mm or 70mm, common sense says 50 but the website I'm buying from has one at 91g and the other at 110g I know neither are this light but the 70mm is much cheaper to buy?
Any help is appreciated.

thePrince

by thePrince

Bumping this thread for current options. I found an Addict LTD I couldn't pass on to replace a damaged R3 for my race bike. Was in almsot new condition when I received it :D

The build is done, but I'm left with Ritchey 25mm offset topper that just doesn't work for me. I need 0-10mm offset. I have the thing flipped right now which works kinda, but looks VERY dumb.

After spending a day trying to find something - struggling. Can see why ISP was somewhat of a fad, seatposts are just easier. I read through this outdated thread, so can anyone offer some guidance on options? I think the Tune Cappy would be my first choice but is no longer made (have an inquiry into the guy at Tune that engineered it). Also wondering if one of the more current Trek Round would work?

thePrince

by thePrince

No one has any guidance here?

I have this beautiful bike - I built it up with a nice set of 10s Record - but I can't get in an acceptable position with the current 25mm offset seat topper. Would love some input!

PyreofFyre

by PyreofFyre

thePrince wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:35 am
No one has any guidance here?

I have this beautiful bike - I built it up with a nice set of 10s Record - but I can't get in an acceptable position with the current 25mm offset seat topper. Would love some input!
Hey ThePrince, I was in the exact same situation as you for awhile, and caught between having an ISP-framed bike and the lack of available options. Had a look at a number of custom options (as well as a titanium seatmast topper from No 22 Bikes).

Personally, I didn't quite like the aesthetics of the KCNC and Woodman options, though they're still available, to some extent, depending on specs. Ultimately, I went with Darimo - Damia's great to work with, but sometimes slow in responding to emails (hardly an issue for me, considering the brand is still small-ish). I'm on a T1 seatpost, tweaked as an ISP, and it's been working for me for a few months now, save for some creaking between the joints, which some light grease has managed to eliminate.

Hope this helps.

PoF

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Ive been using MCFK. No problems what so ever. Nearly 4-5 years. Have two different offset and length for different height adjustment. I cant remember exactly but roughly one is 60gr and 70gr ish
Attachments
20190123_085330.jpg
20190123_091033.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Same dilemma here.

Looking for a lighter stubby, 34.9mm in diameter with lesser setback.
Anyone here with information on where to get a 34.9mm MCFK topper please PM me.

Question:
I don’t see topper seatmast available at Darimo. Are those custom? I wonder if Berk can make us one...

Cheers!