experiences with titanium cassettes and chainrings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ChrisEsposito

by ChrisEsposito

I'm in the market for a new cassette, since I'm swapping my Ultegra Triple for a Stronglight Pulsion Triple and I'd like a bit broader range in the rear to offset the change in the middle chainring up front from 39 to 42.

I notice that the higher end Shimano and Campy cassetes have Ti for some of the cogs, but not all. What's the reason for this - Cost? Durability?

I have read that the commercially pure Ti wears too quickly, but have also seen claims that the 6AL4V alloy is much more durable. What have your experiences been?

Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rustychain

by rustychain

Weight is the reason for the ti. Steel is used on the smaller clogs as they last longer. You can also by full ti cogs, aluminium clogs and carbon clogs. The more they costs the sooner they seem to wear out. I run the DA ti steel mix, gives good life and a bit lighter. If I was running a very important race I sometimes break out my aluminium cogs. I have maybe 200 miles on them and they look a bit worn but so far no skiping.

big fellow

by big fellow

chris

I have used a big twin ti cassette without a single problem, both with a wipperman ss chain and with a DA chain

bit pricey but absiolutely no problems with shifting or durability...

cheers

Pantani

by Pantani

How is the wipperman ss for durability, big fellow. Its expensive so is there a payback on low wear front. Advice appreciated.

Cyco

by Cyco

Pantani wrote:How is the wipperman ss for durability, big fellow. Its expensive so is there a payback on low wear front. Advice appreciated.

My Wipperman 9X1 has lasted an incredibly long time, but I dont think it shifts quite as well as a Dura-Ace chain.

I would happily use one on a training bike, but I like the shift speed of the DA for racing.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

smallfish101

by smallfish101

Cycle Dynamics do a range of titanium cogs that are very reasonable in price. http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/index.html The beauty of these is that the range is infinitely variable, and so for a small sum extra I have purchased a set and extra cogs that will give me a range of (10 spd Campy) of 11 - 21, 11- 23, 11 - 25; 12 - 23 ,12 - 25 12 - 26 and 13 - 23, 13-25 and 13-26. This has obvious advantages when riding various terrains.
The basic 10spd set costs $159.00 which is significantly less than Campy.
I have not received mine yet - will keep you posted. I intend only to race on them- as per many others, I train on either a mix of steel / ti or, at present, the steel Chorus which I cannot tell from the Record in shifting.
GO HARD OR GO HOME

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eastside

by eastside

I have a Campy ti cassette (because I run shimano wheels) with a regular record chain (might be chorus) and it has been great. No problems, never a broken chain.

I have had it on for 1.5 years with one full season of domestic racing. It should have been changed a while ago . . . . . .but hell its fine.....

eastside