2010 Cannondale Dealer Meeting CAAD9 pics

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I understand fully where you're coming from Hubert.

I refused to pay $400 the other week for a jacket that was awesome, except for the logo on the left breast. To me, it was exactly the same issue! I'm not going to fork out all this cash simply to be an advert for your company.

My line in the sand for bikes is a little further up the beach, but is still there. And agree if we're going to pay all that coin for their bike, what are they going to do for us?

STARNUT

by STARNUT

If you stripped every bit of logo off that thing you'd still be able to tell it was a Cannondale, in the dark, from a 100 yards away. :lol:

Their thing is and has always been big ole' fat tubes. Just like Cervelo and the S2/SLC..... you can see them from a mile away.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

by Weenie

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I've no problem with someone who knows a bit about bikes going - "yep, that's a 'dale for sure"

The issue is a bit more when everyone from 4 years old and up going "ooohhhh that's <insert bike brand here>"

Though in spite of all this, I have to admit I do like the new Giants. And there's no doubt whatsoever on who makes them :oops:

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

Tinea Pedis wrote:

My line in the sand for bikes is a little further up the beach, but is still there. And agree if we're going to pay all that coin for their bike, what are they going to do for us?

How about they are producing the bike? Graphics are what they are. Big and bold is in style. I can't get over this "what are you going to do for me?" attitude. It's especially bad in the catagory 3 and lower. I'm not trying to pick on you in paticular, it's society in general. The worst are the BMX dads who drive up in their luxary $60,000 suv and tell the shop their 8 year old needs free stuff becuase he got 3rd at the local age catagory BMX race.

Beyond that, the bike looks great.

Starnut, next year you will puke. (again) I hear stories.
Doing bike things.

STRAVA
INSTAGRAM

redoaker

by redoaker

Starnut, about the CAAD9 1 and the CAAD9 FS; The CAAD9 1 will be White or BBQ & the CAAD 9 FS will be White or BLACK and NOT BBQ??? is that correct? In the past, the FS colors were exactly the same as the top CAAD model.........Black is sweet if that is what they are offering on the FS.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

Cannondale has always been about big bold logo's. The caad6 sitting in the kitchen has a quad wrap decal on the downtube, and then a big C on the underside of the down tube, cannondale logo's on both sides of the seat stays, ect.

If you don't like the decals, don't buy it.

I'm sure the decals on your Look/Pinarello/Wilier/fred bike of choice are very very small...
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Junior Varsity wrote:How about they are producing the bike?

And I'm paying them accordingly for the pleasure.

Would you buy a new <insert car manufacturer here> with their logo splashed across both sides and the hood of the car? Of course not.

Bikes are a horse of another colour I'll give you that. And I admit I like the Giant designs for this season (even though I would not buy one). But product placement grates on me at different time - mainly when it's not done in a seemingly classy manner. That again is also a very personal thing.

Also, as far as 'getting something back' (for me) would not be in terms of say free wheels or stuff like that. What I would like to see (as far as a return goes) is more companies doing like Cannondale and Look have done (hats off to them) and offering trade-in options for bikes and good warranties (Trek).
If, at the end of the day, I'm going to be getting about on a bike that's an advert for your business then some support in keeping my model up-to-date or covered for a reasonable amount of time in the event of failure would be great.

And Saeco, no need to get testy mate.

bradeng

by bradeng

My rep gave me the scoop on the new hardtail... all I will say is: HOLY SHIT.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

Tinea Pedis wrote:And Saeco, no need to get testy mate.

Not testy at all. I just don't understand the whining about company logo's.

Mercedes doesn't have their tri-star EVERYWHERE because they don't have to. The minute you see an E class Mercedes you know what it is. Same with an Audi, BMW, Lexus, ect. With bikes, it's not always easy to tell. There's going to be a BBQ paint option that you can pick. It'll look something like this:
Pretty subtle.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

2002SaecoReplica wrote:Not testy at all. I just don't understand the whining about company logo's.

Mercedes doesn't have their tri-star EVERYWHERE because they don't have to. The minute you see an E class Mercedes you know what it is. Same with an Audi, BMW, Lexus, ect.

Sorry, maybe I read it the wrong way. But sort of got the idea you were aiming the fred part at me...?

Also, you might be able to recognise a Merc from a BMW from a Audi. But a lot cannot. And these would be the same people who would not be able to pick a Cannondale from a Trek from a Giant - hence the logo's.

And my beef runs a little deeper than simply big logo's all over the bike, which I sort of eluded to up above ^^^^ (and in a lot of ways absolves Cannondale - not that i pointed a finger directly at them).

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

STARNUT wrote: WITH SRM

Still the wired version?
Shut up legs and do what I tell you!

eric01

by eric01

Tinea Pedis wrote:What I would like to see (as far as a return goes) is more companies doing like Cannondale and Look have done (hats off to them) and offering trade-in options for bikes and good warranties (Trek).
If, at the end of the day, I'm going to be getting about on a bike that's an advert for your business then some support in keeping my model up-to-date or covered for a reasonable amount of time in the event of failure would be great.

Trade-in options, warranties, all after-sale support costs money. When you buy a bike with good support (e.g. trek's warranty), the cost is built in. If Trek's doing its pricing structure right, there's a model somewhere that says "we expect x warranty replacements, at a cost of $y. $y spread across z sales means an additional cost of $n per bike"

If you don't want any logos, or any post sales support, there are many ebay sellers who are offering oem, no-name frames for sale
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

afie

by afie

STARNUT wrote:
What till you see the mountain bike

Starnut

Will they be offering this as a frameset?
Riccò "Of the 10 controls taken, only two were positive. In theory all the tests should have been positive, therefore the method needs to be checked," he said.

cswi9367

by cswi9367

bradeng wrote:My rep gave me the scoop on the new hardtail... all I will say is: HOLY SHIT.

called "flash".

Cannondale will have 2 carbon hardtails for 2010.

from another site:

Cannondale 2010 Models: We reported earlier that Cannondale will have two models of carbon fiber hardtail 29″ers coming out for 2010. Dubbed the “Flash 1″ and “Flash 2″ these are reported to be the lightest 29″er hardtails ever. Expect big price tags as well. We hear that the 26″er version is $8800.00. Alongside these models will be the aluminum hardtails. I have seen a sneak peek of these and here is what I can relate from the viewing I got.

There will be five aluminum models. The “29er 5″ will be red and single speed. It features a rigid carbon “White Brothers-esque” fork, Avid mechanical brakes, and Kenda Smallblock 8 rubber. The “29er 4″ model is geared, features a standard fork with big decals that say “Duece” (Perhaps the new RST model?), Deore trigger shifters, and hydraulic brakes in white. This model is flat black. The next model……you guessed it…….. the “29er 3″, is white with red graphics, has SRAM trigger shifters, Avid Juicy brakes in white, and a Lefty fork done up in white to match. This model also gets TruVativ Stylo handle bars. The “29er 2″ is a moss green color, has SRAM X-9 looking drivetrain components, white brakes again, TruVativ bars, and a Lefty with lock out. All the aforementioned models have Smallblock 8 rubber. The next and highest model in the aluminum range is of course, the “29er 1″ and is raw aluminum looking with what appears to be an XT kit, including brakes. The big news here is the wheels which appear to be Stan’s ZTR Arches shod with Racing Ralph rubber.

All aluminum models seem to share a brand new frame design with heavily manipulated tubing. (Hydro formed?) and even the seat stays are flattened with the intention of giving a more comfortable ride. These are all emblazoned with “Flash” decals which would lead us to believe that the carbon models will also feature these flattened stays. The graphics are similar to last years models with some minor changes.

More on these models as we get the info. We’re also hearing that Cannondale is going to make 1 1/8th steerer versions of its unique Lefty fork. No word on any aftermarket sales.

Update: I have now seen an image of the Flash Carbon 29er 1. It will be a SRAM X-0 bike outfitted with Avid Elixir CR carbon brakes, a Lefty Carbon at 80mm travel, Lefty SL front hub with a DT Swiss 240 rear hub laced to Stan’s ZTR Arch 29″er rims shod with Racing Ralph rubber. It is black, but I couldn’t tell if it was a nude carbon finish or not. (The spec says “Race Red”??) The graphics are different and more in line with Cannondale’s other 26″er hardtails. No price has been determined for the Flash 29er 1 as of yet. Also, I am told that the 1 1/8th Lefty is actually an aftermarket adapter kit and that the Lefty will not appear on Cannondale’s rigs with the smaller sized steerer.

by Weenie