2010 Cannondale Dealer Meeting CAAD9 pics

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Hubert

by Hubert

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Imagine all the races I could have won if only my frame was 20 grams lighter. Sob. Sob.
Turn down the suck knob.

by Weenie

djconnel

by djconnel

It's closer to 100 grams.

In the team standings on weeks 1 and 2 of the Low-Key Hillclimbs, Western Wheelers finished less than 100 grams ahead of Los Gatos (weight summed over the whole team) on each of the first two weeks. Weight is a small difference, but sometimes a small difference makes a big difference.

I mentioned this, and one of the Los Gatos riders commented: "I had my cell phone, my keys, my ..." Somethings are easier to leave at the bottom of the hill than a coat of paint.

The first step toward being a weight weenie is to leave off what doesn't need to be there. Only then do you lighten stuff which needs to be there. Every gram counts, and 100 grams of paint certainly does. At the going rate, the effective cost of 100 grams of paint is around $450 in terms of extra spent on lighter components to compensate. That's half the cost of the Spooky frame.

Hubert

by Hubert

djconnel wrote:It's closer to 100 grams.

In the team standings on weeks 1 and 2 of the Low-Key Hillclimbs, Western Wheelers finished less than 100 grams ahead of Los Gatos (weight summed over the whole team) on each of the first two weeks. Weight is a small difference, but sometimes a small difference makes a big difference.

I mentioned this, and one of the Los Gatos riders commented: "I had my cell phone, my keys, my ..." Somethings are easier to leave at the bottom of the hill than a coat of paint.

The first step toward being a weight weenie is to leave off what doesn't need to be there. Only then do you lighten stuff which needs to be there. Every gram counts, and 100 grams of paint certainly does. At the going rate, the effective cost of 100 grams of paint is around $450 in terms of extra spent on lighter components to compensate. That's half the cost of the Spooky frame.

Are you winning all your races?

I think there's some validity to your argument, but I also think that it quickly slams head-on into the wall of diminishing returns.

As for spending $450 to save 100 grams, I'd never do it. I'd use it for race fees, which will actually make you faster.
Turn down the suck knob.

djconnel

by djconnel

Am I winning all my races? What sort of ridiculous question is that?

I have no problem affording all the entry fees I want.

This forum is about reducing weight on bicycles, for various reasons. In some cases, that's free (like with paint). If that's not important to you, you should be on another forum, like RaceWeenies.starbike.com .

airsoft510

by airsoft510

djconnel wrote:Am I winning all my races? What sort of ridiculous question is that?

I have no problem affording all the entry fees I want.

This forum is about reducing weight on bicycles, for various reasons. In some cases, that's free (like with paint). If that's not important to you, you should be on another forum, like RaceWeenies.starbike.com .

I was just going to add after reading just this page, that this forum is meant for weight weenies and taking weight off your bike gram by gram. Not how to win races (maybe in the training forum).