Campy 11 speed chainrings on a 10 speed crank...

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

C-40

by C-40

Is there any reason why they won't work on a 10 speed Record carbon crankset?

kytyree

by kytyree

I believe only the chainrings themselves have changed so shouldn't be a problem. Many people have had good luck using the 10 speed crank with the 10 chainrings as the 11 speed Campy rings are hard to come by unless you buy the crank right now. I think xxcycle in France can get you Stronglight CT2 11 speed chain rings that will fit a Campy crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tristan

by Tristan

Accoriding to DaveS here the changes made were only to the chainrings and not the crank. 11s rings should fit just fine.
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

C-40

by C-40

That sounds like good news and could make the 11 speed upgrade even less expensive.

thanks

Danton

by Danton

I'm running 11 speed on a 10 speed chainring and there's no problem. The chain fits on the rings like normal and the shifting is just the same, I have the 10 speed front mech too...

...but the shifting on the back is very good. It's faster than XTR and takes time to adjust to, for it is almost as if you only need think of changing gear and it's done, the finger moves a tiny bit and the gear changes. I've only tried it a few times and haven't done some stupid shifts to see how it works under extreme load but in normal conditions, including training with a pro tour rider yesterday, it was extremely good and a notable improvement on Record 10 speed.

DaveS

by DaveS

As mentioned, the cheapest way is to change nothing. I setup my first bike with a 2008 Chorus compact and it worked just fine.

FWIW, the 11 speed big ring is .6mm closer and the teeth are .1mm thinner.

amojohnny

by amojohnny

Have used my 10spd UT crankset for a couple thousand miles now. NO PROBLEMS at all.

I use a super record front der.

On a side note, I was lookin at the BMC team bikes this weekend at the tour de murrieta. They run 11 speed. They use 10sp UT cranks. 10sp record FD, and a chorus 11 rear.

ur good to go son.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

kytyree wrote:I believe only the chainrings themselves have changed so shouldn't be a problem. Many people have had good luck using the 10 speed crank with the 10 chainrings as the 11 speed Campy rings are hard to come by unless you buy the crank right now. I think xxcycle in France can get you Stronglight CT2 11 speed chain rings that will fit a Campy crank.

The CT2 rings will not fit as they are 0.6mm thicker than 11sp rings. The will fit, but you'l have to shave off 0.3mm from the fifth bolt mount behind the crank otherwise you will have buckled rings.

C-40

by C-40

Does not seem worthwhile to get the Stronglight rings... based on other's posts.

For those in the US, Quality has the 11 speed Campy rings in stock....

DaveS

by DaveS

If the CT2 ring won't fit, that would mean that a change was made to the cranks and I am sure that is not the case.

The new Campy 11 speed rings have a thinner mounting area in five locations and the area that mates with the crankarm is thicker, to move the big ring .6mm closer to the little ring. Any ring claiming to be 11 speed compatible and made to fit a Campy crank should fit either a 10 or 11 speed crank.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

DaveS wrote:If the CT2 ring won't fit, that would mean that a change was made to the cranks and I am sure that is not the case.

The new Campy 11 speed rings have a thinner mounting area in five locations and the area that mates with the crankarm is thicker, to move the big ring .6mm closer to the little ring. Any ring claiming to be 11 speed compatible and made to fit a Campy crank should fit either a 10 or 11 speed crank.

The change was made (I assume) when Campag released Ultra-Torque, not from 10sp Ultra-Torque to 11sp Ultra-Torque. i.e. to get CT2 135bcd rings to fit onto my 10sp UT cranks, I had to shave the mount on the hidden fifth bolt to get them running true as the CT2 rings were too thick.

szazbo

by szazbo

I searched and could not find where DaveS or anyone else had posted this, but will a 11 speed crank also work with a 10 speed system. Thanks in advance

DaveS

by DaveS

szazbo wrote:I searched and could not find where DaveS or anyone else had posted this, but will a 11 speed crank also work with a 10 speed system. Thanks in advance

I only tried a 10 speed chain on the workstand, but it seemed to work fine. I'd be surprised if it caused any problem. Worst case, you could use an 11 speed chain.

kytyree

by kytyree

I haven't tried the 11 speed CT2 rings on a campy crank, I ordered a set in 130bcd to put on an SRM. FSA has some as well (11 speed) and though I haven't used CT2's before I wasn't really excited about the FSA super chainrings I've used before.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

hockinsk wrote:The change was made (I assume) when Campag released Ultra-Torque, not from 10sp Ultra-Torque to 11sp Ultra-Torque. i.e. to get CT2 135bcd rings to fit onto my 10sp UT cranks, I had to shave the mount on the hidden fifth bolt to get them running true as the CT2 rings were too thick.

Looking at the 2006 and 2007 spare parts PDF, the pre-UT 135mm BCD cranks show a spacer (RE-006) between the big ring and crankarm. The compacts version don't show any spacer and neither do the UT cranks.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... es06_A.pdf

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... A-0307.pdf