New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cemicar

by Cemicar

While the spec of this new Precision 3.0 is unbelievably good, what on earth was Podiiiium? Now they manage to release something button cell-based with much thinner body and far much longer battery life, wasn't it a failure and probably a waste of time? (I used to wait the dual-side Podiiiium to arrive to my hand after paying $$$).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Cemicar wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:49 am
While the spec of this new Precision 3.0 is unbelievably good, what on earth was Podiiiium? Now they manage to release something button cell-based with much thinner body and far much longer battery life, wasn't it a failure and probably a waste of time? (I used to wait the dual-side Podiiiium to arrive to my hand after paying $$$).

So here's the thing about crank-based power meters, especially budget ones bonded to someone else's cranks...they suuuuuck. Even Stages' own designed bearclaw on my SB20 misreports power any time I introduce a considerable non-rotational force in my pedal stroke. By that I mean if I squeeze my lower legs in, I can make my Stages PM read lower. If force my legs outboard, it reads higher. I bet the 4iiii, Inpeak, Magene, Xcadey, etc. crank pods all do the same, but I can't check right now because I'm loaning my 4iiii crankset out to someone.

Also I like how 800 hours of cycling is "years." It's a little over a year for me. Also that's not a huge selling point. 150 hours is OK, 250 hours is great, 400 hours is amazing, but at some point it's like "who cares??"

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

TobinHatesYou, did you notice any daviation of odd power behaviour on your SB20 besides that sqeeze operation with no rotation? I have the same trainer and I have not notesid this, but I don't think I have tryed it eighter.. I have tested SB20 together with Assoima Duos and they lined up very close.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kampiakseli wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 am
TobinHatesYou, did you notice any daviation of odd power behaviour on your SB20 besides that sqeeze operation with no rotation? I have the same trainer and I have not notesid this, but I don't think I have tryed it eighter.. I have tested SB20 together with Assoima Duos and they lined up very close.

You have to squeeze in or spread out while pedaling. It's been confirmed by others.

Another fun one is the power accuracy being affected by battery discharge / voltage levels. New battery = overreporting power. Battery about to die = underreporting.

Perhaps the "3D" strain gauge in the 4iiii can differentiate non-rotational forces from rotational ones, but I remain skeptical...

RDY

by RDY

My 4iiii 105 left arm was absolute trash. As Tobin says, arm based pods are generally fundamentally flawed anyway. Then there's the Shimano related issue. Either don't use Shimano cranks, use Assiomas, or don't use a PM at all, IMO.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

I'm unsure of what to make of all these left-only crank arm based power meters. How does 4iiii's new Precision 3 compare with the Stages Gen 3 and InPeak PowerCrank?

ms6073

by ms6073

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:07 am
Another fun one is the power accuracy being affected by battery discharge / voltage levels. New battery = overreporting power. Battery about to die = underreporting.
That is an interesting ideosyncracy, but then again when I had my SRM DA9000, I new it was time for new batteries when the zero-offset began to drift significantly each day.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

4iiii's have been top notch. If you experience any inconsitency just double check with your trainer and adjust the scale factor
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

ViperFFM wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:03 pm
4iiii's have been top notch. If you experience any inconsitency just double check with your trainer and adjust the scale factor
Yea, I grabbed one for my gravel bike and used my Assiomas to compare for a few weeks. They're nearly dead on even, maybe 1-2 watt difference at worst. For $250 (on sale) it can't really be beat.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

I notice a strange behavior switching to 165mm cranks. I have two 165mm 4iiii Left-Sided cranks and both read around 4,3% lower than the Kickr V5. Interestingly, 4,x% is the same value in terms of length change to 172,5mm.....
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Can anyone help ID these crank arms? The seller doesn't have much information. They look like they are older Quarq carbon cranks that came with the Elsa power meters. I'm looking for a cheap 170mm BB30 crankset and these fit the bill. Any one know the weight of these?
282032450_5289395177783842_6405407970577362732_n.png

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

30mm spindle, but can’t be sure if Red 22 or Force 22. Also unsure if 3-bolt or 8-bolt.

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

RDY wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:39 am
My 4iiii 105 left arm was absolute trash. As Tobin says, arm based pods are generally fundamentally flawed anyway. Then there's the Shimano related issue. Either don't use Shimano cranks, use Assiomas, or don't use a PM at all, IMO.
Agreed. I bought one and returned it, it was so awful - unreliable, and wildly inconsistent power readings. Even after a ton of trouble shooting with 4iiii. Never buying 4iiii again.

One look at their YouTube channel should tell you all you need to know about them - it's amateur hour over there, and frankly their videos are just embarrassingly bad. So so poorly executed. Went Favero and never looked back. Such a better product on every level.

Aeo

by Aeo

iamraymond wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:50 pm
Can anyone help ID these crank arms? The seller doesn't have much information. They look like they are older Quarq carbon cranks that came with the Elsa power meters. I'm looking for a cheap 170mm BB30 crankset and these fit the bill. Any one know the weight of these?

282032450_5289395177783842_6405407970577362732_n.png
Quoted 571 grams here https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product ... -crankarms
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rwoofer

by rwoofer

I've got 3 4iiii left hand crank PMs (two Dura Ace and one Ultegra) and never had any problem with any of them. Comparing to my Elite Drivo II turbo they were never more than a few watts out and given how difficult it is to maintain power within a few watts that means they are as accurate as I will ever need.