New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yinya

by yinya

Left is my clip in/out leg and typically the one ahead on descents. Really surprised (on the implementation by Rotor) if this is enough to make all this difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Don't try to make sense of L/R balance numbers when you have a left-only PM. Of course the numbers are going to be garbage. Frankly I'm surprised Rotor doesn't omit the L/R balance field altogether. The L/R balance estimation on spider based PMs like the P2M you mentioned are generally pretty good outside of extremely lopsided efforts like single-leg drills.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

yinya wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:00 am
Left is my clip in/out leg and typically the one ahead on descents. Really surprised (on the implementation by Rotor) if this is enough to make all this difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you’re taking a hard first step with you left every time you jump out of the saddle, like on a MTB ride, that’ll heavily sway your L/R use. Consider that you can put down 700w for .5 sec every time you do that.

In any other case, LR individual power is a useless stat.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:39 am

If you’re taking a hard first step with you left every time you jump out of the saddle, like on a MTB ride, that’ll heavily sway your L/R use. Consider that you can put down 700w for .5 sec every time you do that.

In any other case, LR individual power is a useless stat.

It really won't. Think of how many times you might get out of the saddle on a ride and think about how many crank revolutions you might go through on a ride. 90rpm x 120 minutes = 10800 revolutions. Say you get out of the saddle once every 10 minutes. That's 12 incidents in 10800 revolutions. Statistically insignificant. Hell even if you're doing it once a minute, that's ~1% only.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

No comments on SRM showing off and getting ready to release a brand new pedal powermeter at a decent pricepoint and based not on the Look platform, but the SPD platform?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/srm ... r-srm.html

jfranci3

by jfranci3

It’s $1000 for a solution that was proven inaccurate in the prior version. They have a $300 competitor with a better reputation that’s never even made a product. Giant thud.

kevinw

by kevinw

I dont know, those SRM pedals do look good - especially if there is a "road" cleat solution in the works too.

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

SRM pedals looking good? ...
Prevoius model/test by DC showed they are 5yrs behind ...
I have big hopes for this.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Yeah I don’t know if you’ve been following. For years everyone had SRM crank spiders as the std and every test just measured against SRM. Then they realized SRMs were 3-5% off in many cases, and everyone else was closer to right. With their new road pedals (out for a year now), they didn’t have a good round of testing.

These look to be a Hail Mary, only conceived after they saw IQ2 was using the Time pedal. They may be OK, but probably not and not at that price. IQ2 should actually launch, perform better, and be 1/3 the price.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I'm no fan of SRM but read the DCR article.

SRM Exakt pedals were crap because they were based on the old Look powerpedal design. In short, the pedal needed to be set up in precise alignment which was fiddly to do and a significant source of error.

The new design uses completely new accelerometer-based guts which is Assioma/Vector 3-like. They will also be first to market with a Shimano SPD based solution which will be big news for MTB/cross/gravel.

They are also now confirmed to be shipping Origins with temperature compensation. TBF it's a bit of a scandal that many SRM customers have spent several times over the odds for powermeters that do not have this and will therefore be significantly less accurate than the likes of Quarq. I was not even aware, I thought that active temperature compensation was a basic design feature.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Exakt do not share any electronics with the old Look power pedals. You can’t blame any of the issues affecting the Exakt on that.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

demoCRIT wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:04 pm
SRM pedals looking good? ...
Prevoius model/test by DC showed they are 5yrs behind ...
I have big hopes for this.
I have 2 sets of Exakts and they show the same numbers as my Campy SRM PM... rainmaker has never been an SRM fan...

As for the finiky adjustment procedure, its a little but of a PITA for the first one , but its not rocket science, line up the blue mark vertically, put pressure on the pedal, center the load on the app and tighten it down... theres nothing difficult about it at all...

mag

by mag

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 pm
These look to be a Hail Mary, only conceived after they saw IQ2 was using the Time pedal. They may be OK, but probably not and not at that price. IQ2 should actually launch, perform better, and be 1/3 the price.
IQ2 to perform better? Seriously? At this stage it's still worth being classified as random number generator. I follow their updates and if they haven't hidden a lot from us all (and there's no reason to, quite the opposite) they've done very little real world testing. There are more questions than answers regarding how does their product actually perform in various conditions. SRM have at least gone through several months of extensive real world testing and on multiple bikes simultaneously.

If there's anyone predisposed to produce something of decent quality (out of these two companies) it's SRM. Their tech was lacking severely recently, but they still know what the challenges are and what needs to be done to overcome them.

IQ2 aren't in such position and they focus more on the manufacturing process instead of the actual performance, reliability of their product and the quality of data produced. Almost all power meter manufacturers faced severe issues during the development phase, often even the actual sold products still had some serious issues to flush out. And here the newcomer IQ2 spend most of their time working on the manufacturing (based on the info they provide) so many issues with the use are likely going to be discovered by the early adopters. Sure, they may be lucky, or they've done a lot of thorough testing behind the scenes and have most issues sorted out (but it would be strange to not mention this yet), but right now SRM is in much better position.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

SRM's last product was crap. It got worse numbers then stages dual sided, had frequent dropouts, and had frequent bad readings. IQ2 withheld they're crap product. IQ2 > SRM.

robertbb

by robertbb

How on earth does a company like Favero (whos primary business is digital scoreboards) develop, test and manufacture in-house a power meter pedal that is head and shoulders above their competitors (who either *only* do power meters for bikes, or who have been doing cycling related products for over a decade) in terms of accuracy, reliability and production quality... and sell it at half the price?

Either Favero are an uncharacteristically good company with a brilliant core group of engineers, or the others are simply poor all around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com