New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mag

by mag

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:51 am
SRM's last product was crap. It got worse numbers then stages dual sided, had frequent dropouts, and had frequent bad readings. IQ2 withheld they're crap product. IQ2 > SRM.
While I don't like the SRM Exakt pedals for several reasons myself I disagree with what you claim. IQ2 are still at point zero right now. They haven't proven anything yet. So far they've only provided some pretty dubious updates which seem more like a playing for time, no solid information on the quality of data they've been able to obtain from their prototypes in various challenging comditions so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

They delivered a sub par product at 2x the price (at the time). Now they are 3x off the mark. Go look at the DCR files again, they’re not to market standard.

At 2x the price of a solid competitor, you need to be the truth, an industrial product. Their launch performance doesn’t deserve your support. It was bad at lower price, garbage at the same price, it is shit at 2x the price.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:33 pm
The Exakt do not share any electronics with the old Look power pedals. You can’t blame any of the issues affecting the Exakt on that.
I was parroting the DCR article - perhaps the turn of phrase he used was "based upon the engineering of the Look system". Anyway, i've no dog in this fight but these new SRM pedals could be a turning point in value and relevance for the brand.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

If the powermeter market has taught us one thing, it's that you shouldn't buy anyone's launch product. I would steer well clear of IQ2 until they have proved themselves.

kevinw

by kevinw

robertbb wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:32 am
How on earth does a company like Favero (whos primary business is digital scoreboards) develop, test and manufacture in-house a power meter pedal that is head and shoulders above their competitors....
I think they do a lot of sensors for fencing too but do tend to agree with your sentement.

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

so while we are at it im deciding between Power2Max and Quarq power meter for my TT bike - whats your vote and why?

AZR3

by AZR3

demoCRIT wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:53 pm
so while we are at it im deciding between Power2Max and Quarq power meter for my TT bike - whats your vote and why?
I’ve had 6 P2M units, a few bought new but most off eBay and forums, with zero issues.
I purchased one Quarq DZero that had connection issues right out of the box. Quarq handled the replacement quickly and then 5 months later that one started having drop out issues. Again Quarq replaced it but I opted to sell it and get another P2M and all has been fine since.
I know some people have had Quarq’s for years and no issues but I’m just sharing my experience. (Their customer service is top notch though...but don’t waste time emailing if you have an issue, call them, it’s much quicker)

bespoke

by bespoke

petromyzon wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 pm

They are also now confirmed to be shipping Origins with temperature compensation. TBF it's a bit of a scandal that many SRM customers have spent several times over the odds for powermeters that do not have this and will therefore be significantly less accurate than the likes of Quarq. I was not even aware, I thought that active temperature compensation was a basic design feature.
Just confirming this; Origin now ship with Temp compensation? SRM dont seem to be publicising this much (maybe becuase they dont want to admit it did not do before????)
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/srm ... r-srm.html

5th paragraph of the specs section : Origin now dual ANT+/BTLE and temp compensation.

They've always been a bit opaque about technical details. If you truly believe you have the best technology, you should be more vocal and tell the customer why.

To demoCRIT - I've had two Quarqs. Elsa had a battery door issue that was fixed by me and the powers of Google, DZero has been flawless. I'm not a great fan of SRAM BBs in general but that is my only criticism. If you have multiple PMs it's really useful to be able to do a static test and recalibrate them.
Many people have had excellent experiences with Power2Max. I seem to remember Keith Wakeham had some issues with the calibration process and stability but I think most people get good data from them in reality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwt4Bx_FGHU

TheRich

by TheRich

EvilEuro wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:40 am
No comments on SRM showing off and getting ready to release a brand new pedal powermeter at a decent pricepoint and based not on the Look platform, but the SPD platform?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/srm ... r-srm.html
It's all fun and games until you break a $1000 pedal, because SPD pedals...the cleat retention part, can break under normal (non-crash) conditions. Pedal based power makes sense for road bikes, not for mountain bikes.

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

Thanks guys!
I will research P2Max, no experience with sram BB's but that not what i want to explore so....
Thanks again!

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

SRM Origin with alumimum arms manufactured by Fouriers will be availabe in 3-4 months according to this Taiwanese cycling magazine's Europebike coverage. The coverage also mentions carbon arms manufactured by Fouriers will also be available eventually. I hope this move would translate to lower prices.

jever98

by jever98

robertbb wrote:
How on earth does a company like Favero (whos primary business is digital scoreboards) develop, test and manufacture in-house a power meter pedal that is head and shoulders above their competitors (who either *only* do power meters for bikes, or who have been doing cycling related products for over a decade) in terms of accuracy, reliability and production quality... and sell it at half the price?

Either Favero are an uncharacteristically good company with a brilliant core group of engineers, or the others are simply poor all around.
Because to make a good product, you don't need to be into cycling, but have a good understanding of manufacturing and engineering. That's where p2m is very good. The narrative of "SRM is so great because they invented it and they're expensive" was always BS imho. As was the narrative "more strain gauges are better than fewer strain gauges", which prevailed for a long time.
----
No longer in the industry

robertbb

by robertbb

jever98 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:55 pm
robertbb wrote:
How on earth does a company like Favero (whos primary business is digital scoreboards) develop, test and manufacture in-house a power meter pedal that is head and shoulders above their competitors (who either *only* do power meters for bikes, or who have been doing cycling related products for over a decade) in terms of accuracy, reliability and production quality... and sell it at half the price?

Either Favero are an uncharacteristically good company with a brilliant core group of engineers, or the others are simply poor all around.
Because to make a good product, you don't need to be into cycling, but have a good understanding of manufacturing and engineering. That's where p2m is very good. The narrative of "SRM is so great because they invented it and they're expensive" was always BS imho. As was the narrative "more strain gauges are better than fewer strain gauges", which prevailed for a long time.
Fair enough too. I'm not convinced the new SRM pedals will be very good based on their design. The engineering decision to enclose the battery/electronics in a sealed resin pod on the inner (crank-side) of the spindle is the most sound IMO.

Actually, a dude on another forum recently modified his Assioma pedals (which are OEM Xpedo pedals) by removing the Keo-based pedal body and installing an XPedo SPD body. It bolted straight on with zero modifications. He then tested them on an indoor trainer with its own power meter and when data from the two were overlaid on graph, it was absolutely flawless. I commented that he could have ridden barefoot on the naked spindle and it still would have been perfect, the Assioma's are really that good. They're a category killer, and undercut the price of Garmin and SRM by around half. :noidea:

TheRich

by TheRich

robertbb wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:19 am
jever98 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:55 pm
robertbb wrote:

Fair enough too. I'm not convinced the new SRM pedals will be very good based on their design. The engineering decision to enclose the battery/electronics in a sealed resin pod on the inner (crank-side) of the spindle is the most sound IMO.

Actually, a dude on another forum recently modified his Assioma pedals (which are OEM Xpedo pedals) by removing the Keo-based pedal body and installing an XPedo SPD body. It bolted straight on with zero modifications. He then tested them on an indoor trainer with its own power meter and when data from the two were overlaid on graph, it was absolutely flawless. I commented that he could have ridden barefoot on the naked spindle and it still would have been perfect, the Assioma's are really that good. They're a category killer, and undercut the price of Garmin and SRM by around half. :noidea:
Link please? That's a very interesting option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com