New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheRich wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:43 am

Link please? That's a very interesting option.

Pod clearance is a potential issue. Even the rims of my VeloToze rub on the pods and I have my cleats pushed all the way in (widest stance possible.) Can't imagine a shoe with big lugs clearing those pods.

gplama

by gplama

TheRich wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:43 am
Link please? That's a very interesting option.
https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/a-wild- ... dals/18627

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Yeah, he had do file off some of the rubber notches on his shoe for it to work...

I'm seriously tempted to try the mod.

JAQ1

by JAQ1

Looking at that link and seeing the Xpedo bearing arrangement and sizes, I think you can even use the cheap Spdplay type pedals on Aliexpress (the ones that look like the roubaix type) and these bodies should also be able to fit on the Assioma axles. The Bearing types, arrangement and fastening method is exactly the same.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

For those who have always wanted power in Speedplay pedals going all the way back to the original Metrigear...

Wahoo purchases Speedplay, CEO says company "definitely interested in pedals for power".

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/wah ... uture.html

g32ecs

by g32ecs

EvilEuro wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:37 pm
For those who have always wanted power in Speedplay pedals going all the way back to the original Metrigear...

Wahoo purchases Speedplay, CEO says company "definitely interested in pedals for power".

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/wah ... uture.html
This is great news

Ive been using SPs for about 6yrs now and no plans on switching. Im just hoping they find a way of putting a PM without having to buy a new pair of pedals. I trust Wahoo has the $ with all these aquisitions.

maquisard

by maquisard

Wahoo took on a big investment round earlier in the year. It is clear they are diversifying the business and expanding into other lines. The purchase of Sufferfest seemed like an odd one, but Speedplay makes much more sense.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

A Speedplay road pedal PM would require Assioma style pods. I wouldn’t be surprised if they built PM pedals out of the SYZR platform first.

kevinw

by kevinw

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:31 am
A Speedplay road pedal PM would require Assioma style pods. I wouldn’t be surprised if they built PM pedals out of the SYZR platform first.
Unless they can figure out a way to get a strain gauge in the cleat instead? That would be great.

Speedplay cleats might be easier to do this with than others. You can add material and electronics to them without effecting basic function because the pedal fits inside the cleat - not the other way round.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

kevinw wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:24 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Unless they can figure out a way to get a strain gauge in the cleat instead? That would be great.

Speedplay cleats might be easier to do this with than others. You can add material and electronics to them without effecting basic function because the pedal fits inside the cleat - not the other way round.
No way. Even if it was possible to overcome the issues with improper or inconsistent calibration due to the differences in cleat installation... Cleats on speedplay get rusty and wear out. Power meter sensors are not yet at a point where it is possible to have them as a throw away item. Frankly, pedal bodies and all parts in the pedal wear out in Speedplay as well. So a pod would be the only way.

maquisard

by maquisard

Indeed, mounting strain gauges on a cleat, even one that is Speedplay sized is a difficult proposition. The forces acting on the cleat are much more complex and rider dependent that those acting on the axle of a pedal. This means measuring the applied torque in a consistent and repeatable way is much more difficult. Just ask Brim brothers.

Building a powermeter isn't an electronics engineering challenge, it is a mechanical engineering one. The electronics and software challenges are not significant compared to understanding the complexities of the forces that you are actually measuring with the strain gauges!

jever98

by jever98

maquisard wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:29 pm
Building a powermeter isn't an electronics engineering challenge, it is a mechanical engineering one. The electronics and software challenges are not significant compared to understanding the complexities of the forces that you are actually measuring with the strain gauges!
....which is why a well-designed spider power meter is still the best design, imho - a clean signal in a place that doesn't get damaged.
----
No longer in the industry

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

jever98 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:25 pm
maquisard wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:29 pm
....which is why a well-designed spider power meter is still the best design, imho - a clean signal in a place that doesn't get damaged.
Plus riders tend to stick w/ the pedal system they like or used to. I know I won't switch to another system from SPD-SL anytime soon.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

TobinHatesYou wrote:
I don’t foresee them rolling out their system low-sell SYZR version first. It’d need to be redesigned too. They’d want to launch a common core for mtb and road, so they’d likely release both together to just the road first. The road IP looks to only have 6yrs on it, so I wouldn’t be suprised if they did the cleat thing or made some notable redesign of the cleats. If they went crazy, they could do a common/ swappable body for road or MTB.

We might also see them gobble up a PM line. I think they already make the Pioneer head unit. Favero might be a good target. Both would be better serviced with Wahoos distribution and fit better than with their own core companies. Wahoo could do it in-house, but why not eliminate a competitor in the space along the way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Dredging this one back from the dead.

Got an email from 4iiii today announcing that they are releasing their Precision 3 powermeter. It's left-only at this moment, so it sounds like they still have not figured out the issue with the driveside crank arm. They do state that they're working on the Precision 3 Pro for dual-side configurations, but do not give a timetable for release. Accuracy stated to be 1% and available at this time only on Shimano cranks.

https://4iiii.com/p3/