New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MarkTwain wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:17 am

How often are you hitting the deck?!
Been hit by pickup trucks twice since last May. Rode over some black ice two winters ago. Shit happens.

This happened yesterday: https://gfycat.com/SparseUnderstatedAcouchi

Luckily I just clipped it with my pedal instead of him getting wedged in my front wheel and jamming it.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

I'm not an iq2 backer but I follow their Kickstarter. Interestingly they are selling pedals with shortened axles in order to equalise the Q-Factor back to a more normal value.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:07 am
leandrofresh wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:14 pm
c60rider wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:14 pm
LM7805 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:26 pm
There's a new company developing a power meter that fits between the pedal and the crank arm. They're called IQ2 (iq squared? or something like that). Saw an add on facebook, they are launching a kickstarter tomorrow.
Looks interesting here's the website. It looks to sit neatly along the crank arm will be interesting if it works on Campagnolo carbon cranks. I've not had chance to read the specifics.

https://www.iqsquare.com
At the moment it doesn't really exists. Dcrainmaker wrote a mini-preview and the company says they actually haven't been able to transmit power to a computer so far. And the fact that the powermeter adds 16mm of q-factor per side, which is a LOT (more than enough to affect your knee tracking in roadbikes)makes it not interesting for me.
16mm? I think you mean 1.6mm. The current Keos have a factor of 53mm, and DC is quoting SRM at 54.6.
Quoting Dcrainmaker: "At this point you’ll notice the obvious: The entire setup has bumped out your pedals away from the crank arm. It’s done that 16mm on each side. In most cycling circles, that’d be considered ‘a crapton’."

The current keos have a factor of 53mm as you pointed out correctly. But they are actually different ways of measuring. The keos, and the SRM are measured in different fashion. They measure from the center of the pedal to the beginning of the screw. And IQ2, is just an addon between the pedal and the crank which adds 1,6cm (16mm) to the pedal spindle on each side. A deal breaker. Check it in the attached files.

And yes, they will sell shorter spindles. But, why?? Imho if a PM is not minimally invasive it's not worth buying. I rather spend money on a reliable, tested, and closed system instead of adding more variables than needed and will certainly affect precision. At the moment it doesn't work, they have just strain gauges with a very low tolerance.
faveroq.png
iq2.jpg

mag

by mag

Look/SRM Exakt PM pedals now officially out: https://exaktpower.com/en/
- single model: 799 EUR
- double: 1399 EUR
- bundle with the PC8 head unit: 2179 EUR

mrlobber

by mrlobber

As per manufacturer's specifications, 10g lighter than Vector 3. And at least 300 EUR more expensive.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:08 pm
As per manufacturer's specifications, 10g lighter than Vector 3. And at least 300 EUR more expensive.
A bit fussier to install, less robust pedal design if you're crashprone like me. No Cycling Dynamics.

On the other hand, no battery door issues or weird battery drain issues. Today is the first time my Vector 3s indicated low battery status, but at the end of the ride, they indicated 4 out of 4 bars of battery life again.

robertbb

by robertbb

mrlobber wrote:
So on par with the Assioma's, which are substantially cheaper and basically flawless.

dmp

by dmp

Looks (no pun intended) like they have already dropped the price- the website is now listing 668EUR for the single sided and 1168EUR for the dual sided.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Probably not the right thread TBH but well, seems daft making a new one.

I don’t look at such things much but was geeking on my L/R balance and pedal smoothness today, I noted the graph on my pedal smoothness only goes up to 60% (P2M NG and Wahoo Bolt, is that as high as it goes? I can’t actually find anything about it on the P2M site but I’m looking on my mobile so might well be missing it...
Attachments
C8C9DD3B-A626-4C60-9633-750443D38D36.png

Seedster

by Seedster

dmp wrote:Looks (no pun intended) like they have already dropped the price- the website is now listing 668EUR for the single sided and 1168EUR for the dual sided.

Prices have not changed in US currency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

robertbb wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:17 am
mrlobber wrote:
So on par with the Assioma's, which are substantially cheaper and basically flawless.
My partner has some Assioma's and after install and charging we had a situation where the left drained totally after about 10hrs (and that is the most generous estimate) of ride/coffee shop time.

On their second charge now and seem to be draining equally and as expected. Really are impressed with them. But not without a flaw. Which I know you couched with 'basically', so intent is not to be a contrarian. Rather watch this space and I'll report if any further issues.

One other thing to note with the Assioma, after opening a support ticket and providing the serial number they could remotely look at what was happening within the pedals and the current battery levels. No explanation for the unexpected drain. And while I was impressed they could remotely help with the issue (response time was also excellent) part of me was a slight bit concerned on what other data might be being collected and pushed back to HQ. Not suggesting nefarious intent. Only this would be the sweet and the sour of devices now being so connected.
Last edited by Tinea Pedis on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

robertbb

by robertbb

Keep us posted TP. I'm curious...

I looked long and hard at options before I bought mine, and reports of issues are basically not existent (here, other forums, DCR comments, other reviews, reviews on multiple seller's pages...). From functionality, accuracy and reliability standpoint no negative reports anywhere... about the only problem I've seen mentioned is the pedal spinning if you unsuccessfully try to click in, which TBH I put down to user error.

bigfatty

by bigfatty

maquisard wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:54 pm
Chances of SRM still being in existence in 2-3 years... extremely low

throwback from 2 and a half years ago.

maquisard

by maquisard

Ha, but the signs aren't good for them either!

I still have a year for them to go out of business :thumbup:

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I doubt they will go out of business, but they are definately feeling the squeeze... Im not sure which way they will go with Campagnolo going 12 speed.. Ive had a few conversations with SRM and they say that they have no plans to redesign the current unit... they claim it will work fine with the 12 spd chainrings.. speaking to P2Max though, they spoke of a total redesign, or it could just be a matter of chainrings as well... more or less P2Max told me it all depended on if Campagnolo wanted the Pro Teams to be riding the new look crank design or not... We probably won't know until EPS 12 arrives since no one is riding Mech 12. If SRM doesn't support Campy 12, it only leaves P2Max as the sole driveside crank based PM available.
Looking at the USA shop site, the Campagnolo model is not even there... Id guess shortly the Specialized model will disappear as well since the team up with 4iii (just like the Shimano model was dropped) The PC8 mounting design was always the odd duck in the bunch, but now with the trend towards integrated handle bars, and stand alone aero bar designs, it makes it even harder to squeeze the SRM mount in... on the new Venge for example the computer mount bolts to the stem face plate from the backside and its changed from the Vias design, so the current Venge mount needs to be redesigned.
Haven't read enough about the Exact pedal system.. Im not a fan of DCR's reviews on anything.. it is funny that all the recent pics of seen of Greipel, he's using the crank based PM while he seemed to be the posterboy for the pedal system...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com