Clear coat repair

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B

by Frankie - B

repaint? you can also wax. that is much lighter. Or, epoxy. that is lighter as well.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

shooter560 wrote:Anyone thinking of stripping the paint off a Scott Addict, be warned its murder, 3 hours just on the forks and drop outs still to do (using 40 grit paper, followed by 120 wet n dry) down tube 75% done 2 1/2 hours.

Saving that forks before stripping 351g after 314g

Will post pics as and when, but its all going to be repainted but will still hopefully be lighter when done.

Please, please don't repaint. Just clear coat matte. Or wax.
It's a great frame, and deserves to be nude.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

aoto

by aoto

Hi, I have some stickers under the clearcoat of my aluminum frame I would like to remove. I was just wondering what the exact steps are to do this. Should I just wet sand the part of the frame with the stickers and then add clear coat? And which clear coat should I use? Thanks

Wingnut

by Wingnut

shooter560 wrote:Anyone thinking of stripping the paint off a Scott Addict, be warned its murder, 3 hours just on the forks and drop outs still to do (using 40 grit paper, followed by 120 wet n dry) down tube 75% done 2 1/2 hours.

Saving that forks before stripping 351g after 314g

Will post pics as and when, but its all going to be repainted but will still hopefully be lighter when done.

I have a Calfee Tetra Pro that I want to take back to a nude finish but I'm a bit worried about how long it will take & the possibility I will ruin a good frame. I'm not sure I should take the risk?

Here are some pics of a similar Calfee frame refinished.

BmanX

by BmanX

It will take time and most likely a fair bit of effort but the reward in my opinion is well worth it. I have now just finished my third pair of cranks which is no wear near the effort a frame would be but the finished product is so nice.

I think a nude frame when finished especially the one you are thinking about doing would be amazing with a nude finish.

Just take your time and do it by hand.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Ok I'm up to doing this but I'm worried about taking it too far back & exposing fibres?

What is the best technique for rubbing back, do you wet the frame each time then start rubbing? I've rubbed back fibreglass surfboard fins to remove chips so presume it's similar?

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

coloclimber wrote:More progress last night- Its slow going

The carbon weave from Time is gorgeous. Why they cover it up so much on this frame is beyond me.

Hey, how are you getting on with this. Really curious as to how this turns out.

kervelo

by kervelo

What kind of stuff you recommend for fixing very small rock dents on the down tube of a carbon fiber frame: is the clear nail polish a good solution?

roca rule

by roca rule

i know this is an old thread but does anybody have some tips to reapply clear on a helium with out damaging the 12k weave and decals.

michellemacdroff

by michellemacdroff

I suggest you to take an expert's advice or you can go through the internet search. There are many websites available on the internet which can be very useful to you.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Your first post is a dredge of a six year old post?
Never cheer before you know who is winning