Clear coat repair

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B

by Frankie - B

@ DJ: LOL.

What are you waiting for?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

farm_lim

by farm_lim

my unbadged wilier le roi frame, from gloss to matte
before

in progress:

after

you cant buy fitness, but you can buy advantage.

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

Oh god!I need instructions of how i can make this matt black!!!Plz inform meeeeee :mrgreen:

BmanX

by BmanX

Just what I did not need to see now that my bikes are at the painters. I think my SLC would have looked amazing with this paint on it. DAMN YOU :!:
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

coloclimber

by coloclimber

More progress last night- Its slow going

The carbon weave from Time is gorgeous. Why they cover it up so much on this frame is beyond me.

-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

BmanX

by BmanX

I am just finishing up my second pair of cranks now that the wife is working all weekend. Sanded down the cranks last night with 400 and sanded them down this morning with 800 and they are so smooth.

Just finished applying 3 coats of clear and waiting while they dry for an hour. Into the oven at 200 for 45 minutes and then I will let them dry till late tonight and then sand them down with 1500 to have them really smooth. One more coat tomorrow and back in the oven at 200 for 30 minutes and ready for the bike frames to be picked up and built up over Christmas break.

Great work on the Time frame. It really is criminal that they paint over such an amazing bike.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

farm_lim

by farm_lim

Cycloholic wrote:Oh god!I need instructions of how i can make this matt black!!!Plz inform meeeeee :mrgreen:

wet sanding 800, then 200, then a lacquer thinner rubdown.
flat black 1 coat, the 2 coats of flat clear. all on can spraypaint.

SLight

by SLight

coloclimber, I'm planning to do the same to my Time VXRS.
I have the clearcoated version but I don't like the logo's all over the frame and fork. So I wanted to have some decals removed and have it clearcoated again, but Time would charge me a lot and doesn't want to remove any decals.
maybe I'll try it myself as well
I'm curious how yours will be !

exhibitx

by exhibitx

hey farm_lim, that looks fantastic

think i might do that to my pedalforce

did you just use automotive spray paint? anything other details on the paint and clear would be great

farm_lim

by farm_lim

exhibitx wrote:hey farm_lim, that looks fantastic

think i might do that to my pedalforce

did you just use automotive spray paint? anything other details on the paint and clear would be great

as posted above, all on can spraypaint. flat black was pylox, flat clear was a local brand still under nippon paints. 1 can each.

Ronnie-the-scot

by Ronnie-the-scot

I have had a go at this with an old set of Red cranks, Hoping to get a matt finish
I built a high tech spray booth
I have given them a coat of primer
1st coat of paint
2nd coat

KWalker

by KWalker

Below is a link to my current frame, an 09 Specialized Tarmac Pro. I would like to remove the red if possible. Would I have to sand the entire frame to remove the entire original coat or do I just need to sand off the red and respray once I am done? Right now it seems as if this is going to be fairly difficult since I want to keep all of the white. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... nuItemId=0 Its the red/black frame, not the black/white. I am trying to figure out what I am getting into before I actually do it.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Super_fast

by Super_fast

Since the red parts are right besides the red parts the only option is to sand the frame completely when you'd want to get rid of the red color. Sanding only the red away without touching the white would cost so much time extra, when you aren't a monk I wouldn't think of it.

KWalker

by KWalker

Do you guys think it would be easier to mask and respray over those areas rather than sand them off? Its not like my bike is WW anyways, and I will be sanding the red off my FSA K Force Lite stem and post to match the black/white combo.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Ran into an unexpected delay in the finishing of the Sram Red RD. The clear coat on the UD carbon did not stick very well and I had to sand it off again and I am not sure if I will try again and might leave it just exposed. I might try to sand it down with 320 first then 400 to get it a bit more even but I can not figure out why the clear coat that I have used on everything else did not adhere very well to the UD. This is my first attempt at UD carbon. I sanded it down with 400 and it was very smooth. Wiped it down with alcohol wipe and let it dry before applying my first coat which looked like crap and then added another coat to just see if it would get better. Nothing.

Suggestions.
BIG DADDY B FLOW