Campagnolo Bora Ultra Ceramic Upgrade Possible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

camber66

by camber66

DSC05629.jpg

Glued or not cups?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I've always been told that they were glued in place on the carbon Campa hubs.
Short of trying to press them out and taking risks, who knows?

There is at least one clip on Youtube showiing how to remove/install the cups but they show it on a set of metal hub Eurus even though the heading states this can be done on Bora, Neutron Ultra etc. as well.
I remain skeptical as I never came across a shop that actually would do this kind of operation themselves. They invariably send the wheels to a qualified Campa techcenter...

So, unless you're absolutely convinced those cups are shot (very rare) and you have no other choice, I would advice against anyone doing this themselves.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

camber66

by camber66

I'm already replaced wear cups in my Bora Ultra and upgraded it to Campagnolo Bora Ultra Two.
Bought CULT bearing here
http://www.i-ride.co.uk/campagnolo/spar ... 0_etc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also replace wear cups in Shamal carbon hubs.
I dont have expensive special Campagnolo tool, but same handmade tool is used.
All necessary tool for removal of cups was made by the turner for 10 $. For installation of new cups was used press-tool for automobile hub bearings.
For change cups in Bora hub respoke wheel is needed)))
Because spokehead on the way cups))
It is very simple, but the main thing: have "direct" hands and to be very accurate to not damage hub body. There Is no glue, it was confirmed with dealer Campagnolo from UK. I have made some photo.
On old cups and cones there were bowls, it is possible after rain races.
IMG_2500.jpg

Bora Hub
Bora Hub

Press new cups
Press new cups

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

That's marvelous. :)

It's still a major undertaking with all those spokes having to be removed and the wheel having to be relaced and all but still, it's good to know it is possible. 8)

I hope you like the CULT bearings...?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

camber66

by camber66

Respoke the wheel is simple, but I will know weight of one rim Campagnolo Bora - 388 gram. Cheap china 50 mm rim is about 450 gr :D