What Carbon Frames are NOT made in Asia?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Villadsen

by Villadsen

IKO Corratec makes carbon frames in Germany. There was an article in a german magazine recently about some old italian guy who works there and makes "made to measure" carbon frames based on Deda carbon tubes and lugs.
Last edited by Villadsen on Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

divve

by divve

Bruiser wrote:Enda, perhaps you're buying bling and not performance.

Bling does not make you a weight weenie or a faster rider, it simply means you ride an overpriced stead with a rare or heavily marketed decal.

The location of origin still doesn't impact on bling value until everyone else knows the truth.

I havn't heard many people complain about the C/D deception about the weight of their 613 via the "legalise my Dale" advertising.

The point is that customers don't like to be deceived and lied to.

You haven't heard much about the 613 complaining because you haven't been reading this board well enough. Lots of stink to find on that one here :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

2002SaecoReplica wrote:Merida is the company that owns giant and part of specialized I think but they have nothing to do with Trek. Trek has done either own thing since 1992.

As for the Scott thing that's news to me. Every review I've seen (cyclingnews, Tour, ect.) have said that bike is very stiff and holds up well. Perhaps your friend weights a few hundred pounds?

I use to race for Merida two years ago, and we were told we would be using carbon bikes, I said what experience does merida have with carbon? Rep said, merida makes Treks carbons. So thats where I got it from

Reviews you read are reviews of people riding it, the guy I rode with work for some carbon fibre testing thing, where the frames were tested by machine untill they were broken. He said they were stiff, but did break a lot earlier then the other tested carbon bikes.

Villadsen wrote:IKO Corratec makes carbon frames in Germany. There was an article in a german magazine recently about some old italian guy who works there and makes "made to measure" carbon frames based on Deda carbon tubes and lugs.

I rode for Corratec last year, some riders rode the carbon bikes, I didnt but have some sitting right next to me, brand new, if anyone wants to buy it, photos are in the forsale section.

However Corratecs Carbon bikes are made in Japan, not germany. Only half our team had carbon bikes because they couldnt produce them quicker enough.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

rohaimie wrote:
strange,So the word at my chainstay "made in italy" are fake??

There are lots of ways for companies to get around that now from what I've been told.

An item can be made in say - China, shipped back to say - England and assembled or painted or logos applied etc., and the mfg can put the label "Made in England" on the item.

Has something to do with the WTO or free trade agreements, etc. It seems like nowadays you have to check into the mfg to find out where something is really made if that's important to you.
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

2002SaecoReplica wrote:Merida is the company that owns giant and part of specialized I think but they have nothing to do with Trek. Trek has done either own thing since 1992.

all due respect - Giant had more reveneues at around 200 million last year while merida was about 50 million less... Giant and Merdia don't really own each other. They're kinda the two largest in Taiwan tho.

PNuT

by PNuT

martin wrote:
hottessa wrote:Fondriest are always overlooked they developed their new carbon dropouts at Ferrari's Carbon Fabrication facility - beat that!

Whenever a car firms get their hands on a bike project they usually do a great job i.e. Lotus bike

Wasn't the Lotus a Mike Burrows design?

yer...... this is his website :wink:

http://www.mdt-products.com/

strangely enuff most ov his products are made by others :lol:

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Yes I am buying on bling - otherwise I would not spend insane amounts of money buying bike bits that may or may not improve my perfomance, when I know I can improve my performance for free by getting out and training. Once again , once a bike has surpassed a certain spec its the rider not the bike that will improve performance. I am a ww because I like bikes and I enjoy seeing what likeminded people are capable of building. I am a rower and have rowed at all levels (club to international) and time after time the winning crews are those in the best shape as opposed to those in the best boats

Coolhand

by Coolhand

LOL, some interesting idea's around here- so this thread should help with that.

Orbea's are made in Spain (not Taiwan or Italy).

The Trek OCLV's are made in the US, not by Merida (who does nice carbon stuff FWIW).

Where a frame is made and by who is important for comparing prices and values to other frames (along with the warranty, customer service reputation, reputable reviews ect.)

No sense paying a major premium for a Euro bike, that is pumped out of the same factory as the Supergo and Performance frames. Giant and Specialized have some very nice carbon bikes, using really advanced designs and materials- and yet they are priced realistically.

Certain other brands come from some of the same factories, yet are priced at hundreds and often thousands more. I guess PT Barum was right. Realize of course, that this doesn't make these overpriced frames bad in any way (some are quite spiffy indeed) just overpriced for what they are. No need to take it personal when someone points out that Euro wonder frame is about is European as stirfry and pandas. You still have a nice frame.

In any event, given the relative price indifference often displayed here in the manic chase for the lightest trophy bike- the issue of comparitive pricing and value is probably not a major issue for many buyers. But it is for me, so here we are.

:wink:
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

PNuT

by PNuT

it is an interesting topic & really nowt to do with bling...... look on the mdt website & find the aero carbon time trial frameset.... its around 1200 uk pounds

this framset is available elsewere for 800 uk pounds....

i reckon we should know exactly what we are paying for :!:

BikeTech

by BikeTech

BT (Bike Technologies) made in Melbourne, Australia

They make all of the Aussie track frames. I believe the Dutch team at the Olympics was using them too.

Oh, one more to add, but not sure if they're still making frames?

FES from Germany - still in the frame business?

Villadsen

by Villadsen

However Corratecs Carbon bikes are made in Japan, not germany.
If this was really the case then please explain to me how a german magazine recently could show pictures of carbon frames beeing made in Raubing, Bavaria?
photos are in the forsale section.

Your frame is some bulk asian frame painted in Corratec colours. It is not the made to measure Corratec by Mauro Sannino.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

I've just read the is the CR1 made in china posts.
It seems to me that WE the WW's of the world are the captive audience for high end bikes and bits, and we want (and are prepared to pay for) the best - but I think we are possibly being ripped off as we are lead to believe that our sought after kit is lovingly handcrafted in Europe or wherever, but its not!
It seems with all this chat about "the industry's secrets" that us lot the WW's who are bankrolling the manufacturers deserve to know the truth and F*** THE INDUSTRY'S SECRETS
1. What frames are built in the SAME factories in the East
2. How much are we being ripped off
3. Who builds the best frames

PNuT

by PNuT

BikeTech wrote:BT (Bike Technologies) made in Melbourne, Australia

They make all of the Aussie track frames. I believe the Dutch team at the Olympics was using them too.

Oh, one more to add, but not sure if they're still making frames?

FES from Germany - still in the frame business?

yep..... they were :wink: id love a set ov there bars but they are way too pricey for me :shock:

BikeTech

by BikeTech

Agreed... those bars are georgeous. I would love one of their road going TT frames to go with the bars.

Coolhand

by Coolhand

Just posted up on Velonews (buyer's guide article):

Not
1. Paying for the label alone: The days when fine bicycle craftsmanship conjured up images of the lone welder hand brazing a steel frame in some dusty shop in Europe are gone. These days, it's all about pre-fab molds and gluing carbon tubesets in jigs. I'm always stunned to see some manufacturers charging two to three times more for their carbon frames when nearly identical, high-quality carbon frames are being produced in Taiwan or the People's Republic of China. In fact, you might want to double check exactly where that frame of yours is actually produced. You might be surprised to find that painting and stickering a bike in one country is reason enough for some manufacturers to say it was "made" there.

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/art ... 575.0.html

The rest is pretty good too.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com