Cervelo S3 and Campy Super Record Gruppo Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CSKeller

by CSKeller

I thought the Campagnolo Boras were some of the fastest wheelsets out there.....

They should work with this frame, yes??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

jkrocket wrote:http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=WHATS_NEW

easy solution to a problem that never really existed.

:lol:

Weight Weenies has become the /b/ of cycling.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

jkrocket wrote:http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=WHATS_NEW

easy solution to a problem that never really existed.

That is still really close with the spacer modification. No flexy, super weenie cranks for this frame.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

mtbnoob

by mtbnoob

Should there ever be a chain drop, that part of the frame is going to get badly messed up.

pharding

by pharding

I appreciate what Chris did in communicating the technical aspects of the two challenging areas for the S3. That helped a lot and speaks highly of Cervelo. I also appreciate what Competitive Cyclist did. However I disagree with the CC conclusion that Super Record will work fine and it is no big deal. I believe that Chris's assessment was much more accurate in that he is implying that Campy Super Record will most likely work fine, however it may not work in real life based upon rider weight and riding style. With a spacer and Super Record those clearances are uncomfortably tight for me. I like both the S3 and Campy Super Record a lot. However I do not want an expensive bike with annoying technical problems or the potential thereof when the bike gets out of spec with age. Therefore I am leaning toward foregoing the Campy Super Record and going with Shimano Dura-Ace on the S3. I need to let this sit for a while and see how other S3 owners like the bike. Hopefully the next iteration of the S3 will not force me into a similar dilemma.

botto

by botto

pharding wrote:bla bla bla

is your life so small that you have to go to every bike forum there is, and whinge about a bike that you don't even own?

botto

by botto

mtbnoob wrote:Should there ever be a chain drop, that part of the frame is going to get badly messed up.

nothing that $7 can't prevent.

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

2002SaecoReplica wrote:
:lol:

Weight Weenies has become the /b/ of cycling.

oh, no, not while BF is there :D

V.

aeroslave

by aeroslave

botto wrote:

is your life so small that you have to go to every bike forum there is, and whinge about a bike that you don't even own?

+100 bloody hell I almost fell off the chair LOL!

kytyree

by kytyree

botto wrote:nothing that $7 can't prevent.

A dog fang might be hard to mount on the S3's seat tube but something like this might work:

I need to try and come up with something similar myself as my seat tube has enough taper at the bottom that I wasn't able to use the dog fang.

Coolhand

by Coolhand

1. The Fanbois are running amok!

2. I think I would select a fact source that didn't have such a high financial stake in selling the product in question.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

Thom_y

by Thom_y

botto wrote:

thankfully, pharding and others have brought this non-issue and the wheel thing to the attention to would-be purchasers of the S3... It took the manufacturer and resellers some time to address this and more importantly the wheel thing... interestingly, the wheel thing is not even mentioned on the CC website to possible S3 purchasers. It is laughable, that Cervelo is ensuring you that the fastest wheelsets will work... Will they back that up, that those wheels that won't fit, are not as fast or good.

I think next year we will know whether this whole S3 incompatibility was another Cervelo nightmare (e.g. 2.5 recall, Wolf SL recall), or whether it turned out to be a brilliant marketing strategy during the recession (lots of free advertising for this frameset)... Any bets whether they will redesign the chainstays... I look forward to seeing the first photos of a chewed up chainstay from either wheel or chainring... acceptable to some of the fanboys I guess to eke out a few seconds...

for a bunch of reasons, I told my dealer to forget about the S3 frame I had on order, and decided to go for a change to replace my crashed R3. I was a big Cervelo fan for the last 2 years, but they appear to have made a few missteps in my mind...

mtbnoob

by mtbnoob

botto wrote:
mtbnoob wrote:Should there ever be a chain drop, that part of the frame is going to get badly messed up.

nothing that $7 can't prevent.

Not sure about the S3 but I think the dog fang doesn't fit all bikes although it comes in 3 sizes. Pity it doesn't fit on my Prince. Really useful gadget.

Thom_y

by Thom_y

kytyree wrote:A dog fang might be hard to mount on the S3's seat tube

will likely need something custom for this size/shape:
Attachments
S3.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikesale.com

by bikesale.com

Campagnolo 11 speed and S3 Conpatibility Rumors Adressed:

There have been several rumors circulating around the rider forums concerning the compatiblility of the new Cervelo S3 frames with Campagnolo Super Record 11 drivetrain components. The issue arises from the clearance between the oversized chainstays of the S3 and the extremely low profile of the Campagnolo crankset. There is limited space between the inner surface of the chainring bolts and chainstays allowing very strong riders to flex the frame enough for the two to make contact in a hard sprint.

Similar issues are well known to experienced mechanics as they have been seen numerous times across a variety of frames and cranksets. The issue can be simply resolved by placing a 0.7mm spacer (the same width included with shimano 10 speed cassettes) behind the drive side bottom bracket cup. Campagnolo has accomodated for situations like this with the wave washer included behind bearing in the non-drive side cup. The wave washer compresses to allow for the imperfections in BB width inherent in the manufacture of all frames without causing excess tension on the bearings or lateral slop in the spindle.

Go to my website and see a successful build in our shop of an S3 with a full Super Record drivetrain. There is no excess drag on the bearings resulting from the small spacer installed behind the drive side cup and any possible clearance issues have been resolved by the additional 0.7mm between the chainstays and chainring bolts. Clearance issues are nothing new in the bike world and sound techniques exist to resolve the vast majority of them with no unwanted consequences. Minor issues like this are why high-end bicycle manufacturers like Cervelo only allow their products to be sold through a reputable dealer.

SPAM Removed, Cyco