Have anyone used the Yokozuna reaction cable housing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Raxel

by Raxel

James_London wrote:Can anyone confirm if the Yokozuna Reaction cable system or new Nokon is compatible with 11-speed and the narrower hole on the levers?

Thanks

I have seen a pic from pez's site that one side of nokon's wound steel cable should be cut to fit into 11spd shifters.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

Once upon a time I sent an email to the Yoko guys about Campy and, in broken english they said: "nothing will ever make Campy shift well so we will not make cables for them." :lol:

Fair enough.........................

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

James_London

by James_London

Thanks guys...

Loving the response from Yokozuna, Starnut! Thinking perhaps with 7900 cables under the tape they may have to reconsider! They do now list a Campagnolo version but it doesn't say 10 or 11 speed and stock looks patchy on a quick scan...

For anyone interested, this is the Pez solution with Nokons:
Last edited by James_London on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

got2ride

by got2ride

I have an 08 R3 SL with SRAM Red and installed these cables about 2 weeks ago.
When I first received and inspected the cables and housing, I was impressed with the quality.
Installation was very interesting. I had read this post and several others so had some good ideas on how and what to do. The braided housing for the brake cables is very stiff. It is also hard to cut. I tried a Park cutting tool but it just crushed the housing. I ended up using a drill with a cutting wheel to cut both the brake and shifter cable housing. It actually worked well and once the housing was cut, I just cleaned out the cable hole and filed off the edges.
I used the ferruels on all ends at all points. The brake housing ferruels are silver and a little bulkier than the shifter ferruels. At first it did not appear that the brake ferruels would fit into the slots in the shifters but I used a flat headed screwdriver and was able to press them into the slots for a nice fit. The only real issue I had was the small section of brake housing that runs from the point on the back end of the top tube to the rear brake. I tried to cut a section of the silver braided housing but it was just too stiff to work in this section. The rear brake would not release properly because the housing was so stiff and applied too much pressure. I ended up using a section of the shifter housing and it works just fine. I do like the feel of the cables. Shifting is alot snappier and braking feels more solid. The worst part of the whole installation was trying to thread the shifter cables into the Red Shifters. Whoever designed the Red shifters should be shot. :beerchug:

Arky

by Arky

Another happy Yokozuna customer here! It seriously transformed my 7800/6600 mix into a different group. I was using Nokons with Jagwire teflon (still in excellent shape). I have not missed the droopy cables one bit. It is definitely an improvement over Nokons.

Negative G's run great with these!
Also, I am running Negative G's without a single issue with centering, despite the stiff cable and the WW whining. I cut it the right length the first time. Does everyone not understand how to center these using an open ended wrench? The braking is far better than my old Ultegra.

BTW, I think some confuse lever force with braking power. Braking power can only be affected by brake stiffness and pad coefficient of friction. The variable of rate and mechanical advantage have nothing to do with power, only how much lever force you must use.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Arky wrote:BTW, I think some confuse lever force with braking power. Braking power can only be affected by brake stiffness and pad coefficient of friction. The variable of rate and mechanical advantage have nothing to do with power, only how much lever force you must use.

I see where you are coming from, but stiffness of the brake lines is part of the overall equation. For example, if your brake levers are hitting the bars, for whatever reason (i.e. inadequate caliper/lever/housing stiffness), you're not obtaining the full power that is potentially available from your brake calipers.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Anyone have a weight estimate of running the Yokozuna kit?

since1984

by since1984

STARNUT wrote:Once upon a time I sent an email to the Yoko guys about Campy and, in broken english they said: "nothing will ever make Campy shift well so we will not make cables for them." :lol:

Fair enough.........................

Starnut

Starnut,

contact me, I'll set you up ith a set to try. :beerchug:

Pivens

by Pivens

I was trying to order a reaction kit from Competitive Cyclist, and on their website one can choose between smoke and white color...Does the Yokozuna kit actually exist in white or is it just a "mistake"?

NealH

by NealH

On the Yoko website it only indicates "smoke" for the Reaction housings. Some other housings are offered in "tech gray" also. CC might be refering to tech gray as white. Not sure though, just a guess.

jrz1

by jrz1

Chalk another one up for a happy Yoko user! Had them put on my new bike build - Guru Crono with SRAM Red. Shifting is crisp and instant. I have KCNC CB1 brakes and so far no problem there either. My bike shop mechanic who put them on had a few choice words though about routing the stiff cables internally in the Crono frame. Don't think he was as excited as I about the whole thing! I also would love to know the weight of the Yoko cables in comparison to others. Anyone?

gostops

by gostops

In regards to using Yokozuna cables on Campy 11, I recieved the following:

Sent: Mon 12/14/09 1:05 PM

We have some Reaction sets out for testing on the Campy 11 group, we will have news up shortly about that.

Best, YokoUSA

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

i have a bunch of yokozuna reaction housing left over from prior build, enough to use on another bike.

think it would matter if i ran oem shimano cables thru it?

by the way, it's interesting to see the amount of flex in the yokozuna reaction brake cable housing when the lever's pulled vs. another brand. i have one bike with generic housing, and another with reaction. the other housing squirms & flexes. the reaction doesn't even move.

if that has a noticable effect on brake perfromance, i don't know. but, i would venture a guess that stiffer housing is better (less friction & cable play?), similar to why stainless steel braided cable is used in high perf. auto applications (brake line housing, specifically).

dandancast

by dandancast

After all the good reading here, I consider now place it in my new bike. Thanks :thumbup:

iamtak

by iamtak

Has anyone else had a hard time with cutting the housing? They sound like great cables/housing, but I wouldnt put it past me to ruin them upon installation. What tools have you guys been using to cut these housings? I need to invest in a quality set of cutters. Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com