Have anyone used the Yokozuna reaction cable housing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Yes, I always use a dremel to cut the housing. Just make sure you get a straight cut. Housing is very stiff.
The brake housing is just about 1/10mm to big. I have heard of people modifying the brifterrs to get it to fit....with a drill or something but I just used the campag brake cable set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jscottyk

by jscottyk

Sybarite wrote:
motorthings wrote:anybody use these with EE brakes? i put the shift cables on a while ago and love them, but never installed the brake cables. i just put on some new EE brakes, and want the ultimate in feel, but am not sure how the stiffness of the housing works with these specific brakes.

Great with EEs, same modulation level, much more positive feel and power.

I couldn't get the housing to work with the EE brakes. I'm running v1 EE and the housing is a bit too big.

boysa

by boysa

Gregorio wrote:Yes, I always use a dremel to cut the housing. Just make sure you get a straight cut. Housing is very stiff.
The brake housing is just about 1/10mm to big. I have heard of people modifying the brifterrs to get it to fit....with a drill or something but I just used the campag brake cable set.

Thanks! I'm getting read for some cables, and would love to try the Yokozuna. I'll probably go the same route... Yoko shifter with Campagnolo brake.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Cykelmusen

by Cykelmusen

tranzformer wrote:Anyone have a weight estimate of running the Yokozuna kit?

I've googled for that for some time and it's not an easy answer to find, approx. 300 g. Could that be true?

Edit: CC says 308 g - so for making a comparison we just need the gram per meter.

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Well, in my experience with the Campy set, the set weighed 249g uncut, I had 85g left in the bag when I was done cutting, making the installed weight 249g-85g=164g. Or thereabouts. Can't give you a weight per meter figure.

Cykelmusen

by Cykelmusen

That's great. Thanks.

steveymcdubs

by steveymcdubs

Does anyone know of any online retailers who have just the shifter and brake cables in stock? PBK has been dry for quite a while.

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

Universal Cycles usually has them.

drmutley

by drmutley

Got some from wiggle last week

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I see white and smoke, has anybody seen black?
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Rush

by Rush

I just got some new SRAM Force shifters and pulled the SRAM cables out and replaced them with Yokozuna cables. I'm a bit concerned that the left shifter (10-speed ratchet) doesn't seat the cable end properly. SRAM instructions say to give the cable a good 'yank' to ensure the cable end is seated in the red housing attached to the ratchet correctly. I've given the cable a good pull, yet if I run up and down the ratchet the cable end can come loose.

Has anyone observed this with Yokozuna cables? (Or any other cables for that matter?) Is it a problem once the cable is clamped to the rear derailleur?

Leonel

by Leonel

Are this cables available as brake sets only?

Leonel

by Leonel

Thank you but that's a complete gear/ brake set , I only need the brake set

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rush

by Rush

Cosmo wrote:On SRAM you need ferruels at all points, shift and brake. Depending on your lever position/bar curve it can be hard to get the brake housing in-just loosen the three cover plate screws and then insert. The brakes work much better with ferruels-over time the end of the housing will deform and the brakes get spongy.

I'm not quite sure how you managed to do this, as the only way the brake housing ferrule is going to make it all the way into the shifter is if you enlarge the slot for the brake housing.

Even if I undo the cover plate completely, there isn't enough room to fit the ferrule. I might post some pictures. So at the moment I've got the ferrule half-way inserted into the slot.

I know other people on the forum have mounted the brake housing with no ferrule at the shifter end.

BTW my Pedro's cutter did a pretty good job on the brake housing. I then used a file to tidy it up.