Bora rim damage

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

chrism

by chrism

dj97223 wrote:It looks to be fairly out of round now. If you mounted a tire to that rim as it is, I would think you would get a thumpa-thumpa, bumpa-bumpa every revolution.

No you wouldn't - the rim bed is still round. The issue is that there are no longer nay walls at that point to stop the tyre rolling off (I suspect the braking might also be pretty grabby with 1/3 of the braking surface gone!)
No scales on the trails

rustychain

by rustychain

If anyone can help you its http://www.signature.fi/
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

linus

by linus

hockinsk wrote:To those who say you can't roll a well glued tubular either turning sharply in a crash or trying to avoid one directly in front of you have not crashed much or seen others crash in front of you at high speed. Your body weight travelling at 30mph through a wheel going sideways to the direction of travel, usually with the brakes still fully on, either folds a carbon wheel (see Burghardt v Dog) when you hit the rider or obstacle in front, or, when the rear wheel regains traction after it flicks up under heavy braking and steering (see Beloki v Armstrong), do sometimes just fail likei nthe pictures above. It's rare, but it isn't to do with poorly glued tubulars, simply physics and bad luck normally. Remember a tubular is only held on by about 30 - 40 lbs.

You will flip and fall before before tires roll off.

Please don't assume anything. Your explanation of what have happened is much more detailed than the OP's explanation.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Err, so what am I assuming exactly linus?

I explained what happens 'sometimes' which causes a tubular to roll off as you crash and provided a real world example of it happening on TV to Beloki. Beloki crashed because he was braking too hard into a corner while turning sharply when he realizes he can't get around the obstacle at the speed he is going, the melting tarmac didn't help and his rear wheel began to bounce. As it hits the ground the second time at an accute angle, you see the tubular roll off at point of contact withthe road.

The tubular rolling didn't cause the accident because Beloki was bouncing the still intact rear wheel and tub well before the tubular rolled off.

As I said, it's rare for this to happen, but the right speed and impact angle when bouncing a rear wheel does cause tubulars to roll off. I'm not assuming anything, I've seen it happen on TV several times and as discussed, it happened to me too!

The Green Flame

by The Green Flame

Ok, you guys say that the tube wasn't glued right. I didn't do it myself. My LBS did. I think I will do it my self nex time, so that I'm sure it's done right. But my main question was if the damage was repairable or that I could drive the wheel in this way.

I contacted some companies and persons who repair carbon stuff and they all say that this kind of damage is repairable. And since repair is a lot cheaper then replacing the rim, I think I will let it fixed. I think it's worth the try.

@ Rodrego Hernandez

What do you mean by a mixture of Conti and Vittoria? And why do you use two different brands of glue instead of just one. Do these two glues have different characteristics? And how do should I do this?

I now there are some threads about how to glue tubes, but if you have some tips they are welcome. I don't what to damage my rim like this twice.

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

stick a fork in that rim.... cuz it is done.
Mass Weenie

sml12

by sml12

The Green Flame wrote:Ok, you guys say that the tube wasn't glued right. I didn't do it myself. My LBS did.

Is there any chance that you can go back to your LBS and seek some sort of compensation? I guess they will have plenty of excuses.

Agree with your other comment though ... ie to do the job, learn how to do it on the internet, and then just do it yourself.

theremery

by theremery

Flame, tho the rim may be able to be built back up for height, to both look normal and be round, The long fibres that give the rim real strength will be 30% (a guess) gone on the edge of the rim. This is one of the critical areas for strenght, I think.
Would you REALLY be satisfied with that when cornering at 90kmh on an opening sweeper???? I KNOW I would NOT, and I'd hope none of my racing buddies would risk themselves and me in this manner.
The difference in cost between a new one and a repair may be $200+ but honestly....are you kidding? That's less than a few days off work and a few bandages, let alone 6 weeks of recovery in a hospital bed.
Time to park the (normally reasonable) concern re cost and realise that you only have ONE spinal chord and brain. Best you look after them, dude :)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

xav

by xav

But make sure that you use the old rim inventively, a coffee table is a quality idea

Xav

hockinsk

by hockinsk

I've seen a couple of carbon rims repaired that were far more damaged than The Green Flame's and put back into the bunch. 2 Lightweight rims and I think one Corima Aero I know of anyway. Carbon fibre really is not as delicate or non-repairable as many here are making out. so long as the damage is not too exstensive and there is good, sound carbon to adhere the new carbon to, it is do-able.

If you don't want to turn it into a coffee table, i'll give you $100 dollars for it : )

Coolhand

by Coolhand

The rim is done, and to use it for racing would be negligent for your safety and that of those around you.

It is possible to rip a properly glued tubular off in a crash (didn't it happen to Beloki in his high-side crash in the Tour?). But it isn't common either.

Bad new is that Campy replacement carbon rims are way expensive.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

The Green Flame wrote:Ok, you guys say that the tube wasn't glued right. I didn't do it myself. My LBS did. I think I will do it my self nex time, so that I'm sure it's done right. But my main question was if the damage was repairable or that I could drive the wheel in this way.

Sorry, but this forum has let you down. It's clear that many experts have posted opinions based on a pic and not actually read your questions and concerns. Even after you stated you removed the glue to inspect the damage (which is good) you still had three experts blurt out nonsense unrelated to the thread.

The rim should not be used. You'll have to buy another rim and get the wheel rebuilt.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

xav wrote:But make sure that you use the old rim inventively, a coffee table is a quality idea

Xav

+1

or a windchime

how has this forum let him down.. creative responses to WW issues...

no?
Mass Weenie

Auk

by Auk

Keep it and use it for cyclocross.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marko

by marko

I'd mount up a tube and ride it. Bora rims are overbuilt and the part that is worn allows plenty of room to glue a tire on.