What tools to remove Sram Red crankset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

micky

by micky

maddog 2

by maddog 2

what gearjunkie said

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

durkonion

by durkonion

Wow. A lot of people don't know what's going on.

You need a 8mm hex wrench and an external BB tool.

Unscrew the 8mm hex bolt with the 5/8 in large bolt still in there. The 5/8 is the "Self extractor" and allows you to remove the crank without using a crank puller. Rightey Tightey Lefty Loosey.

Use the external BB tool to remove the external BB. Turn in the direction of the pedaling motion to remove the BB from each side.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

I can't get it to work. I unscrew the small bolt about a quarter turn and then it stops. Even with what is probably too much force, the thing will not budge. Color me idiot, but I can't get the small bolt to come out without taking out the larger nut.

durkonion

by durkonion

Try putting grease between the small bolt and the larger self extractor. The self extractor shouldn't be spinning with the smaller bolt. It should get harder once the smaller bolt hits the self extractor.

Edit: How big is your 8mm hex wrench? I hope you're not using a multi-tool or something similar.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

durkonion wrote:Try putting grease between the small bolt and the larger self extractor. The self extractor shouldn't be spinning with the smaller bolt. It should get harder once the smaller bolt hits the self extractor.

Edit: How big is your 8mm hex wrench? I hope you're not using a multi-tool or something similar.

I swear I've done this but I'll try it again. I am a bit "mechanically challenged", so it'll probably work this time.

I'm using a regular L-shaped hex wrench. It should be fine.

I'll check back after lunch...

Thanks for the help you guys!

WannaBeSTi

by WannaBeSTi

I agree with everyone who has said to only use an 8mm wrench and to leave to other alone.

It has been in my experience that the Red cranks can be a bear to get off, but I just keep applying force. In the past when I've removed one it has made a loud pop when it finally breaks loose.

Try this:

Insert your 8mm wrench 180 off from the non drive crank arm
Stand on the drive side of the bike and reach you right arm through the frame or over the tope tube
Put your left hand on the drive side crank arm
Then apply a hell raising amount of force to both the wrench and the crank arm (the force you apply to the crank arm will be counter to the wrench)
Stop only if you have broken the bolt loose or you black out

If that doesn't work, take it to your LBS. Let someone else bloody themselves.
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves a little less seriously.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

It worked! Just turning the small bolt did it. It took a hellacious amount of force to get it off. After it broke free, it was good to go.

Thanks a TON everyone!

durkonion

by durkonion

Awesome. The torque spec is around 35 ft-lbs on that bolt which can be hard to reach if you have a small wrench. Remember to put some grease on the bolt when you reassemble so it won't seize up.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

Will do. Thanks again for the help.

[quote removed as this is a reply to the above. Frankie]