Lightweight valve extension length

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

I bought a used set of lightweight and they come with very short valve extensions, Im almost unable to inflate the tubulars. Im going to order tufo 160 and Im going to get a set of valve extensions too, which is the valve extension recommended length for lightweights?
Thanx

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Tufo makes only 28mm now. Their site has error. But they are aluminium=good for balance.

I'm getting those for my LW's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Villadsen

by Villadsen

The threading on tufo alu extensions are prone to breaking. The length for LW should be close 40-50mm I find Zipp or HED are the best ones.

rhsnyder

by rhsnyder

spaniardclimber,

Try this site for valve extender sizing. The extenders pictures I believe are tufo

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/valve_e ... sizing.htm

rhsnyder

martin

by martin

spaniardclimber wrote:I bought a used set of lightweight and they come with very short valve extensions, Im almost unable to inflate the tubulars. Im going to order tufo 160 and Im going to get a set of valve extensions too, which is the valve extension recommended length for lightweights?
Thanx

Try and get one of the brass extensions that Mavic ships with their Cosmic Carbones (The best part of that wheel, IMO :))
I got mine for free at a Mavic Promo booth
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Tufos breaking??? I have 2004' brass models and they are very solid...but bit heavy so I'm changing them to 2005' alloy models.

I had Zipp's also they suck very hard.

They are:

-so long that valve may crack, least I had with Michelin alloy valve cracked in pouring rain when I had flat on clindher 404's...
-so thin that most pumps leak
-they must be inserted permanately or they leak
-you can't thighten valve after pumping...

Never for me.

My friend have Mavics, they looks similar but heavy brass...

After installing Tufos, they just work like long valve, nothing less.

Villadsen

by Villadsen

Tufos breaking??? I have 2004' brass models and they are very solid...but bit heavy so I'm changing them to 2005' alloy models.

I wrote Tufo alu - not brass.

This summer I bought 4 of the 40mm Tufo alu and I agree that as long as they last they are better than both Zipp and HED because you can close the valve and they are also so light so that they dont get the wheel out of balance, however of the 4 that I bought one broke while pumping (with a standing pump, I never use a normal hand pump). One broke while changing a tyre and one broke while riding. FYI I only use them on LWs and only with Veloflex tubbies. I the picture I have marked where they are prone to breaking. At that point the alu wall is really thin (1mm or even less) - I guess that can even be seen pretty clearly in the picture.
Attachments
valve_ext_40mm_rs.jpg
valve_ext_40mm_rs.jpg (10.28 KiB) Viewed 1582 times

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

I quess that the reason why they make only 28mm now. And maybe they come from not same factory. I orded from then From starbike so we will see...

gandini

by gandini

Just adding an observation: I use Tufo Al extenders. I used the longer ones but they broke off at the thread due to hand pumping. I now use CO2 cartridges because they cause less stress on the valve stem. I use the shorter 28mm on Zipp 38mm rims and they work fine, with good support from the rim to avoid stress breakage at the thread.

cheers,

Michiel

by Michiel

I use the 28 mm extenders on Lighweights with Tufo Tubs.

The pictures show first of all the extender with the plastic key. I advise to get one of those. The opening can be used to screw on the extender and the hole can be used to srew on the valve. But even more important to srew off the valve in case of a flat and you have to punt the Tufo sealant in :!:
You have to screw the valve off for this, check the Tufo website :!:

Second picture is the extender on a Tufo S3 < 215 gr tire. You screw it almost all the way in!! It doesn't stick out as much as seen on other pictures.

Third picture is how much the valve sticks out a Lightweight wheel with this combo. Not much, but enough and the less the better :D
Attachments
DSC01880.JPG
DSC01881.JPG
DSC01884.JPG

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Thanks, M!

It looks that I have 31mm ones. (brass) I don't remeber...They come 10mm+valve out of rim. So 28 is fine. Lighter and more aerodynamic. Good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com