Tour’s ridiculous tyre test and their questionable findings.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
robnfl

by robnfl

fdegrove wrote:...In case you haven't keep some talcum powder ready to ease the installation and check, make that double check, that no latex is pinched between the rim and tyre before you inflate the thing. Otherwise...Kaboum. :?

While you're at it check that there are no rough edges on you rim, valve hole and that you use a cloth rim tape (if needed). Velox and the like are fine, Michelin's plastic rim tape often present too many rough edges for latex inner tubes too last more than a few hundred miles...

Ciao, :wink:

Yeah, I've always used talc powder on my tubes and I learned many many years ago to check that the tubes aren't caught between the rim and tube. I'm currently using ROX tape...this is WW's right :wink:
Thanks for the advice!

Rob
"Speed kills...oh well, we've all gotta go sometime!"

by Weenie

theremery

by theremery

If you can find it locally, the Ritchey red WCS tape is a few grams lighter and has a nice smooth transition from the rim to the tape. It is made of some sort of woven nylon ribbon (like lightweight jacket material) and I have run it on my MTB for 3 years now (local stockists don't have it anymore or I'd have it on my road clinchers too).
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Any cloth tape will do...

But I would use Veloplug!
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.