Campy 11 Speed -- Confirmation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

synchronicity

by synchronicity

If you take inflation into account, how much did the super-record group cost when it came out in the 70s?
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

I don't know about Super-Record prices in the mid 70's, but in the 80's when Corsa-Record came out alongside, it was more expensive than Super Record at about twice that of what Record is today in relative terms.

Pointless, beautifully engineered extravagance and even polishing parts where they couldn't ever really be seen by anyone no doubt made C-Record so expensive, but I still think C-Records' Hubs, gear levers, Rear Mech and Cranks are the four most beautiful bicycle components ever made.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Thanks for sharing the pics. Forgot what a nice looking groupo it was. 8)

corky

by corky

+1 Amen..... timeless beauty! :D

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Unfortunately I never owned that Derosa which was found at http://www.raydobbins.com/derosa/ (more pictures there)

I did have this 1992 Colnago Master though, but without the Colnago Engraved C-Record and chose Chorus callipers instead of another creation of beauty - 1kg Delta brakes, to keep the weight down a bit. Same star tubing frame, although mine had a bit of orange and white fade on the seat tube too:

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I´m wondering why we are´nt seeing pro´s on 11 speed proto´s if it´s due for 2009 release (which is essentially August-September 2008 if campa wants to get on the OEM train) ????
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

wilmar13

by wilmar13

Leloby wrote:Rohloff have got a carbon rear hub out with 30 gears and it only weighs 350g.

Really? Can you provide a credible link? AFAIK they have been trying to build a hub 3-500grams lighter for several years now, but have yet to even build a working prototype. It has always been 14 speeds and the lighter version (if ever made) will remain so.

Regarding the thread topic... sure 11 speed isn't needed, but all you change resistant folks can stop complaining about it and cheaply upgrade from your 8 speed setup. :wink:

toyota

by toyota

mrowkoob wrote:I´m wondering why we are´nt seeing pro´s on 11 speed proto´s if it´s due for 2009 release (which is essentially August-September 2008 if campa wants to get on the OEM train) ????
Im wondering the same thing......

HanSolo

by HanSolo

Not sure where I read this (maybe Madcow?) but it seems like the decision to go to 11 speed is a last minute one to boost marketing noise. If this is indeed the case, then I'm very hesitant to adopt the new 11 stuff for two reasons. First, these parts have not been properly tested by guineas pig pros. Second, last minute "design rush" cannot possibly result in durable designs often come to fruition with years of sitting with the drawing board like Shimano.

toyota wrote:
mrowkoob wrote:I´m wondering why we are´nt seeing pro´s on 11 speed proto´s if it´s due for 2009 release (which is essentially August-September 2008 if campa wants to get on the OEM train) ????
Im wondering the same thing......
Everything can be drilled, except tires.

spoke n words

by spoke n words

Im not sure what qualifies as "rushed" in component manufacturing but I was told of 11 speed campy in January. I just didnt believe it. If I was told about it then surely they had their arms around it for some time.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

madcow wrote:
Some people think I'm anti-Campag(so take my opinions with a grain of salt), which actually is not true. I like Campag as a product, I just hate to see something with such heritage and tradition being taken in the direction that it has gone over the last several years. I'd go out on a limb and say without some serious internal changes the company may end up needing a bailout in the next few years.

Jason,

I have to add, this is quite a statement that has some elements of the rumblings on the ground. If you've dealt with the recent developments within Fulcrum and how Campag has sort of 'overhauled' its management, I would tend to think this way too.

Its corporate direction seems to have veered towards revenue grabbing and not organic growth based on good selling, sound and industry avant garde products anymore. In the realities of the business world, especially in the technology world ( which I think both Campagnolo and Shimano belong), such companies often go the way of the Dodo in the long term as they can very easily be substituted.

As much as don't like their attitude at times, I do not like to see it go that way either. Its not good for the bike industry.

HanSolo

by HanSolo

It's almost inevitable. I love campy designs but when they charge twice as much as Shimano for a heavier cassette and none of their components are compatible with what's out there, not even their shift cables (learned this the hard way), it doesn't take long for frustrated cyclists like me to shift loyalty. I started riding, doing my first race with Ultegra, and have never been left down by Shimano. With campy, I've broken two right levers in the past two years with less than 1000 miles. Another pet peeve is how they can charge $35 for a lock ring that do not come with their already expensive cassettes. I'm still waiting for Sram to improve the reliability of their products but I'm leaving campy for good.

I'm completely baffled at how a company still manages to survive when producing technically outdated products at twice the cost of the competition.

maxxevv wrote:
madcow wrote:
Some people think I'm anti-Campag(so take my opinions with a grain of salt), which actually is not true. I like Campag as a product, I just hate to see something with such heritage and tradition being taken in the direction that it has gone over the last several years. I'd go out on a limb and say without some serious internal changes the company may end up needing a bailout in the next few years.

Jason,

I have to add, this is quite a statement that has some elements of the rumblings on the ground. If you've dealt with the recent developments within Fulcrum and how Campag has sort of 'overhauled' its management, I would tend to think this way too.

Its corporate direction seems to have veered towards revenue grabbing and not organic growth based on good selling, sound and industry avant garde products anymore. In the realities of the business world, especially in the technology world ( which I think both Campagnolo and Shimano belong), such companies often go the way of the Dodo in the long term as they can very easily be substituted.

As much as don't like their attitude at times, I do not like to see it go that way either. Its not good for the bike industry.
Last edited by HanSolo on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

HanSolo wrote:
I'm baffled how a company still manages to survive when producing technically outdated products at twice the cost of the competition.

Think "iPod". :roll:

HanSolo

by HanSolo

:lol:
maxxevv wrote:
HanSolo wrote:
I'm baffled how a company still manages to survive when producing technically outdated products at twice the cost of the competition.

Think "iPod". :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skunk

by Skunk

Anyone know when prices will be released? I'm curious to see how '09 Record, '09 DA and '09 Red prices stack up.