Venge ViAS aero-clipon bars Di2 remote shifters

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
warx

by warx

Finally received my ViAS 2017 clip-on aero bars for the bike. Looking at options to mount a remote shifter out front. The bars have two cable guides internally routed (just a short distance of course) but it's not really obvious what and where I could mount a shifter up there. The profile of the hand-rail is mainly square also. I could 3D print an adapter to give me a round clamping surface but a climbers shifter would look pretty ugly I would think!?

Thanks,
Mike.

by Weenie

warx

by warx

Oh - and one more thing - the bike has 6880 hydro brakes so there's just one port on the hoods - not two. Does this limit the choice of "remote" being those that support plugging directly into Junction-A and not having to go to the corresponding brake-shifter?

warx

by warx

OK got this done. Pics show pretty much the only place this remote switch is going to work. Excuse the wrap job (talk about sharp angles and profile changes!!)
Attachments
20170202_144958.jpg

destinationwarmth

by destinationwarmth

Can't you attach two very small Shimano sprint shifters under your tape (one for each hand), and run the wire underneath the clip-on ? (or drill a small hole if you want the cable to be hidden) ?

motorapido

by motorapido

Warx, gut the shifter and either just mount the electronics pack with a couple of plastic discs a la team sky. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... -f8/309986
or open up the electronics pack and run wires off it to remote switches. i've run 4 switches of one module with no issues,
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140272
or if you want a really pro look gut the electronics pack and link it up to some of the old 7970 pre E-tube Durace Di2 sprint shifter switches, you can get these pretty cheap now.

destinationwarmth

by destinationwarmth

Is the clip-on specific to the Vias proprietary stem ? Or can you use it also on a normal stem / normal handlebar setup ?

warx

by warx

I guess if the stem had a very similar profile (rounded corners square) it would fit. There's rubber/TPU parts top and bottom that grip the stem to that could be re-shaped as well.

by Weenie