New Campagnolo shown?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Danton

by Danton

ScienceIsCool wrote:making champagne in the south of France

Actually Champagne is in the north of France. That's why it's champagne, it is such bad wine that it has to be fermented in to a fizzy drink. I'm half-serious, the cold climate means growing normal wines in the region to a high quality is harder, so they add more sugar, put in some yeast and you have champagne.

As for the new levers, wait and feel. Too many people make judgements by the look of the product but have yet to put their hands on them. If you want some art, visit a gallery or auction house. If you want a good bike, choose what works best first, and then consider looks!

Regarding manufacture, I do worry that Campagnolo will price itself out of the market if it keeps making things in Italy. It's technology is not advanced, just basic alloy forging and some simple CF molds, they could cut costs significantly if they moved production somewhere cheaper. I suppose this is what the Fulcrum brand is about too, as a lot of Fulcrum wheels are built in Asia, compared to the Campa wheels in Vincenza.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Danton wrote:
Regarding manufacture, I do worry that Campagnolo will price itself out of the market if it keeps making things in Italy. It's technology is not advanced, just basic alloy forging and some simple CF molds, they could cut costs significantly if they moved production somewhere cheaper. I suppose this is what the Fulcrum brand is about too, as a lot of Fulcrum wheels are built in Asia, compared to the Campa wheels in Vincenza.

Vicenza :wink:

More than a rumors say that Campy factories moved to Romania, but donno what actually they produce in there, and what still in here.

Danton

by Danton

I know the clothing range is made in Roumania, are the parts too?

micky

by micky

Danton wrote:I know the clothing range is made in Roumania, are the parts too?

Last summer there were some delays from some shops to getting stuff, and it was rumored it was cause of that.
As I heard it from 2 differents sources here in Italy I guess it's true, at least for low level range.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Danton wrote:I know the clothing range is made in Roumania, are the parts too?

Hi,

Why does it matter where something's manufactured?

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Hubert

by Hubert

ergott wrote:Those pics are seriously making me make the leap to Red. The levers look weird! First time I have ever seen a Campy group that completely loses all aesthetics.

-Eric

You and me both; makes me even wonder what the new ShimaNO will look like as a potential alternative. :shock:

Although, I'd never go for the eshifting regardless of how good it may be.
Turn down the suck knob.

Miller

by Miller

When first generation Ergo came out in the early 90s I was disappointed with the shape; it seemed to me Campag had simply added extra parts to the existing shape of aero brake levers. While handlebar shifting was a technical advance this was a missed opportunity to design in a truly ergonomic way. The generation 2 shape that came out in 1998 and which we still have was a much-needed update.

However it could not be the last word in ergonomic design. Although it's an elegant shape, I think it's not the case that what looks elegant is necessarily the best solution in practice. As has been pointed out, the existing shape can leave you feeling that not enough is stopping your hands falling off the front of the levers.

So I would hope the new shape represents another step towards the best solution for braking and shifting both from the tops and the drops. As an aside, does anyone else see an echo of the Mavic Mektronic lever shape?

KB

by KB

So I would hope the new shape represents another step towards the best solution for braking and shifting both from the tops and the drops. As an aside, does anyone else see an echo of the Mavic Mektronic lever shape?
Yes, most definitely, but I don't find it attractive.

As for another question about where things are made, it only matters becuase another piece of manufacturing done, for instance in Italy, is sent somewhere else and therefore more manufacturing jobs lost. So, if you want a service economy as opposed to manufacturing, then go ahead.

Danton

by Danton

KB wrote:So, if you want a service economy as opposed to manufacturing, then go ahead.

But this applies only for Italians buying Campagnolo. For every Italian who might lose work, a Roumanian or Chinese worker gains employment. The trouble with nationalistic ideas - Italy good, Roumania bad - about production is where do you stop?

Are Mavic Ksyriums built by cheap labour because the company assembles them in a warehouse in the French countryside where costs are lower, so cheating Parisian workers out of a job? Is it ok to produce within the EU, or is Roumania still Europe?

Is it ok to sell Japanese cars in Europe that are built in low-wage Britain rather than in Japan? How different is moving a car plant away from unionised Detroit to Texas from moving to Mexico?

Something to think about. The subject is very complex and perhaps WW is not the place, or something to talk about in cyclechat? :?

Back to the subject of ergonomics: how long until someone starts offering different sized hoods? You have riders from Botcharov to Backstedt riding frames from 48 to 62cm, using cranks from 165mm to 180mm yet manufacturers assume our hands are all the same size?

micky

by micky

Danton wrote:
Back to the subject of ergonomics: how long until someone starts offering different sized hoods? You have riders from Botcharov to Backstedt riding frames from 48 to 62cm, using cranks from 165mm to 180mm yet manufacturers assume our hands are all the same size?

That's a good point.
Last edited by micky on Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phill P

by Phill P

If you can prove to a big boss that they will make more money by providing different sized hoods then it would likely happen.

How many customers would change brands to justify the extra tools and stock issues?

I'm interested to hear just how many people buy campy because they ONLY like the smaller brifters, and how many ride Shimano because they ONLY like the bigger shifters.

KB

by KB

Phill P wrote:
I'm interested to hear just how many people buy campy because they ONLY like the smaller brifters, and how many ride Shimano because they ONLY like the bigger shifters.
I like the bigger shifters, but I like them to look nice as well. Consequently, the answer for me has been to use SRAM hoods on a predominantly Campag drivetrain.

occor

by occor

Danton wrote:Back to the subject of ergonomics: how long until someone starts offering different sized hoods? You have riders from Botcharov to Backstedt riding frames from 48 to 62cm, using cranks from 165mm to 180mm yet manufacturers assume our hands are all the same size?

I wish.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

musket

by musket

occor wrote:
Danton wrote:Back to the subject of ergonomics: how long until someone starts offering different sized hoods? You have riders from Botcharov to Backstedt riding frames from 48 to 62cm, using cranks from 165mm to 180mm yet manufacturers assume our hands are all the same size?

I wish.

I was thinking about this. If Campagnolo keep making the current shape (and given the sentiment currently I think they might resurrect it after few months...) then they will have two distinctly shaped and sized bodies.

I'll be stocking up on the current shape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com