Best latex tube - which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

A2ON wrote:
thumper88 wrote:The "feel" isn't on my top five list. Fast in dry, fast and wet, aero and puncture resistance would be the top three, by a large margin. Conti GP4000sII and latex is the way to go for now.
Feel is worth nothing if you're going to have to push 4-8 watts more in RR, 3 watts more in aero and get no better wet or dry traction and likely worse puncture resistance.... which is what you can expect from most of the there good clinchers out there.
A couple have better RR, but only slightly...and may not make up for their other shortcomings with just that.

The Corsa G+ may end up being as good or better a choice, but that's not completely clear yet... some of us will have to try them out awhile.... the Contis are a known quantity.
I'm running Corsa graphene tubies on one bike now at least for climbing and they seem as fast as the test data for RR and certainly have good feel, if that's important to folks. Ive run them in wet and while I didn't rail them, they didn't slip out from under as if on oil, like the corsa evo 320tpi's, so I have high hopes for the clincher version.... I do worry that it will have aero issues as that was a serious problem with the corsa evos. But we'll see.

i'm running the 25c corsa g+, I wish id have gone gp4000's they weigh 269g each for a start. !

I've noticed the extra weight of Vittoria tires as well. The Conti GP 23mm weigh about 223 grams despite the heavy appearance of the tire! Maybe cotton casing is heavy by nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

MikeDee wrote:I used the Challenge latex tubes in my Conti 4000S 25mm tires. When I took them out, they were all wrinkly and deformed. I didn't have a lot of confidence confidence in them at that point, so I switched to Specialized Turbo light weight butyls. I can't feel a difference and I feel safer with the butyls.

Bingo! But of course those who praise latex will blame you for not knowing how to install a tube :-) I'm now using Conti Supersonic tunes running 90psi without problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

A2ON

by A2ON

pdlpsher1 wrote:
A2ON wrote:
thumper88 wrote:The "feel" isn't on my top five list. Fast in dry, fast and wet, aero and puncture resistance would be the top three, by a large margin. Conti GP4000sII and latex is the way to go for now.
Feel is worth nothing if you're going to have to push 4-8 watts more in RR, 3 watts more in aero and get no better wet or dry traction and likely worse puncture resistance.... which is what you can expect from most of the there good clinchers out there.
A couple have better RR, but only slightly...and may not make up for their other shortcomings with just that.

The Corsa G+ may end up being as good or better a choice, but that's not completely clear yet... some of us will have to try them out awhile.... the Contis are a known quantity.
I'm running Corsa graphene tubies on one bike now at least for climbing and they seem as fast as the test data for RR and certainly have good feel, if that's important to folks. Ive run them in wet and while I didn't rail them, they didn't slip out from under as if on oil, like the corsa evo 320tpi's, so I have high hopes for the clincher version.... I do worry that it will have aero issues as that was a serious problem with the corsa evos. But we'll see.

i'm running the 25c corsa g+, I wish id have gone gp4000's they weigh 269g each for a start. !

I've noticed the extra weight of Vittoria tires as well. The Conti GP 23mm weigh about 223 grams despite the heavy appearance of the tire! Maybe cotton casing is heavy by nature.

30g a wheel 60g in total, not ideal especially with the similarities in performance. 4000's for me next time

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I forgot to mention the GP4K 25mm weighs just a few grams more than the 23mm version. The 25mm version is still less than 230g.

A2ON

by A2ON

pdlpsher1 wrote:I forgot to mention the GP4K 25mm weighs just a few grams more than the 23mm version. The 25mm version is still less than 230g.

Thanks for that - I changed to the VC G+ 25mm from the standard 23mm Giant tyres that come with the propel and noticed no difference so will be returning to 23mm, should also be better as the giant rims are 23mm

Can anyone recommend a brand of latex tubes that have a 42 or similar valve length with removable cores ? Michelin would be perfect but they don't have removable core according to CRC

thanks

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Challenge latex, 47mm valve, removable core.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

1415chris

by 1415chris

I have not seen this one before. I got them from planet x when they were in ridiculous low price. But I though that this is just different packaging of widely known pink-ish Vittoria.
When I opened the box today, I was quite surprised.

36mm threaded valve.
Last edited by 1415chris on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Why is it purple if it's a "gold quality tube?" Hmmmm.

Solid weight for the purple Vittorias @ 56.5g/ea.

About 10g more than my red "gold standard" Challenge latex tubes (47mm valve).

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Interesting old thread. I went through most of it again and saw a lot of good info. For what it's worth, here's my "updated" two cents.

* Installation of latex tubes is KEY and I suspect most JRA (just riding along) failures can be attributed to poor installation techniques. I say this from loads of first-hand experience where it was entirely my fault (pinched between the bead and/or small holes from tire irons). Again, lots of solid installation tips here.

* I've successfully run Michelin and Challenge latex tubes with Reynolds clincher wheels and red Veloplugs for >7 years. If I recall correctly, yellow Veloplugs are too big for Reynolds. I've never used any rim tape, cloth, etc.

* I pump my tires with latex tubes before every ride. They're noticeably softening within a day or two and mostly flat within a month or so. It's just part of my routine now.

* I've ridden for 11-12hrs straight about four or five times now and never gotten to the end concerned about low psi. They most certainly lost some air along the way, but not enough for me to worry or notice ... I notice other way more important stuff near the end like "how much further?!"

* I live at the base of numerous canyons and spend lots of time going up and down them. Many years ago, I overcooked and warped a rear clincher rim on a descent by following a flatlander car ever so slowly driving down one. It was infuriatingly slow and no wonder the rim gave out. Never had an issue since. --> My conclusion is that over-braking and/or dragging brake pads on a long and steep descent can warp wheels so don't do it. I'm very comfortable descending and haven't had any issues so I don't worry about it anymore. Let 'er rip!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Johnny Rad wrote:Why is it purple if it's a "gold quality tube?" Hmmmm.

Solid weight for the purple Vittorias @ 56.5g/ea.

About 10g more than my red "gold standard" Challenge latex tubes (47mm valve).

The pic is deceiving. These are really soft red in colour.

They're quite nice but no match for the good old Vredestein latex inner tubes which are unpigmented.

Installation of latex tubes is KEY and I suspect most JRA (just riding along) failures can be attributed to poor installation techniques. I say this from loads of first-hand experience where it was entirely my fault (pinched between the bead and/or small holes from tire irons). Again, lots of solid installation tips here.

Not just the installation of the inner tube but the installation of the tire as well.
The tire's bead should never be overstretched or the inner tube well worm itself out and flat eventually.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Marin

by Marin

Johnny Rad wrote:Interesting old thread. I went through most of it again and saw a lot of good info. For what it's worth, here's my "updated" two cents.

Matches my experience 100%. I ride latex tubes in 3 sets of carbon clinchers and 1 alu set.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Hi fgegrove
They are completely different from those red ish 70g no threaded valve Vittorias we know.
These are purple as shown on the picture, weight less and have threaded valves. Althought I am riding latex only for a number of years, I have never stumbled across them before.
Last edited by 1415chris on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jb

by jb

And why is Michelin better?

nayr497

by nayr497

I had a double puncture on a Vredestein tube on my rear wheel. Couldn't find any debris in the tire and tire looks to have plenty of life left. So, I was thinking it must be a rim/spoke issue, as I've had a rash of Vredestein blowouts in the past 1.5 years. Was thinking I got a bad batch. Or the wheel had an issue.

Well, I installed a Vredestein butyl tube and have put in two rides. Has me thinking it's NOT a wheel issue, unless butyl is that much stronger/tougher than latex.

I have a ton of blowouts at the valve seam, never sorted it out beyond a bad batch of tubes. Had to admit it, but all this hassle has me reconsidering latex tubes. (I painstakingly install them, so I really don't think it's user error.)
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com