2008 Pro team stuff

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

journeymonk

by journeymonk

OK, Dr Dos, what exactly is your point?

Because bcheung certainly got mine.

I wanted a bike that I could trust given the harsh roads here in Manila. My two friends have both crack their looks (one 585 and 595) from daily use. They are both on R3s now. In fact, one of them replaced his two Looks with two R3s.

Going back, what exactly is your point about R3s "turning us from zeroes to heroes?"
"Truth is a pathless land." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

6.29 kg and dropping...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=89221

journeymonk

by journeymonk

DocRay wrote:
journeymonk wrote:No complaints -- I love my R3. One of the things that attracted me to it was that it won Paris-Roubaix -- a testament to its durability.

Still, claiming Fabian rode a stock one a month after its release to victory.

So, was that "truth in advertising"?

The P-R R3s are not the same as the ones sold to mortals. They are actually closer to the RSs. Rear Dropout is slightly wider and 1cm longer.

OK. So it's a special in-between-the-RS-and-R3 model, like Boonen's Tarmac/ Roubaix hybrid.

My question was just that, is it this hybrid model that Fabian rode to his 06 win (we know O'Grady used the aformentioned hybrid model for 07 and 08 at least)?

Is it the hybrid or original R3 that was used to win the Eroica?

That's what I want to know.

:wink:

6.29 kg and dropping...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

The R3 that Cancellara and O'Grady won with had the longer wheelbase by having a longer rear dropout, but not the taller steerer of the RS.

Dunno about the Eroica.

RidleysCycleman

by RidleysCycleman

Pictures of o-grady's bike I know it is probably all over the net. but in Canada we really don't get to see stuff like this. so here I am on his 2007 paris roubaix champ bike!

Kevin
Attachments
DSC01087.jpg
DSC01088.jpg
DSC01089_1.jpg

RidleysCycleman

by RidleysCycleman

there is also something special about this crankset it is rebadged. It is not what the decals say it is the rep said it was something else I forgot already you guys know your stuff you will know if it is or not!

it says R3 on the frame! for what it is worth. The rep told me it is the old R3 and that their is a new R3 coming out and he will be on that next year(months back so maybe this is the frame you are all questioning if it is that). I am not a fan of cervelo but O'grady can ride wheee!

I am 5'-9" 5' 10" and i think the fit is a bit small :P but I will take it!

Kevin

journeymonk

by journeymonk

Doc Ray:

Thanks for that information. It makes sense that the "R3" they used had a different rear end to accomodate the tires. Of course, we still don't have confirmation whether a 27mm tire would fit in a regular R3.

I got a 23mm on mine and the tolerances are a bit tight.

So much for "Tire clearance for 27mm special Vittoria tires," I guess.

Carbon, despite not being customizable in terms of geometry (at least for the front end), apparently gets some level of "modularity" -- stick a different rear end, i.e. O'Grady's and Boonen's P-R bikes.

I wonder if this will lead to more hybrids. I've always thought of combining the supposed superior aerodynamics of a Soloist Carbon with the comfort (not that I have ridden both, but my R3 certainly feels better on rough patches of road than my old Giant TCR) of the R3.

A Soloist Carbon front with the superthin-chainstays and rear end of the R3? That would be a dream. Aero at the front (where it matters most) and comfort in the rear (where it matters most, too). Haven't really compared the bottom brackets of both to see if these two designs could simply "fuse" there -- I think that's the challenging part.

But hey, if Specialized could mate Roubaix-type stays to a Tarmac front (a la Boonen's "Roubaix SL2" for P-R), then I guess it's possible.

(And hey, if Cervelo does decide to do it, can I claim bragging rights to be the first one to ask for it here? :wink: )

~ o ~

RidleysCycleman:

I believe the cranks are the SL-K model rebadged as either the K-Force or the K-Force Light.

K-Force had problems with its (I believe) aluminum "spindle" -- a complaint I've seen on rbr and even some members here, if I recall correctly.

And supposedly, either of the higher end model cranks would put the CSC team bikes below the UCI weight limit of 6.8 kg -- superlight Cervelos, Zipp wheels and all.

Lucky, lucky you, being able to ride a real pro bike (meaning something actually ridden by a pro).

I recall someone here had Cancellara's Soloist frame and Zipp wheels.

8)

6.29 kg and dropping...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

journeymonk wrote:D

I wonder if this will lead to more hybrids. I've always thought of combining the supposed superior aerodynamics of a Soloist Carbon with the comfort (not that I have ridden both, but my R3 certainly feels better on rough patches of road than my old Giant TCR) of the R3.

A Soloist Carbon front with the superthin-chainstays and rear end of the R3? That would be a dream. Aero at the front (where it matters most) and comfort in the rear (where it matters most, too).

8)

I Like your idea about combining the best of both worlds but I maintain that significantly more comfort is to be had from the fore and aft flexibility of the fork, seatpost flexibility, and wheel tire combination then any triangular structure in a bicycle.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

journeymonk wrote:OK, Dr Dos, what exactly is your point?

It ain't the bike that wins races. It's the damn rider. And there are dozens and dozens of cf frames from dozens of manufracturers that survived the hell of the north. Give an R3 to some Euskaltel rider and see him fly to victory?

You need an argument for you devotion to Cervélo. Simple as that. I personally saw two cracked R3s and know of at least 3 others cracking in different places in the rear triangle.

The R3 is an exceptionally light bike but it still has flaws. And it's geometry is more suited for weekend warriors. See how any Pro literally rapes his R3 with a negative rise stem - disgusting.

I wish they kept the R2.5. Oh, damn, that suffered from broken frames, too.

bcheung

by bcheung

Dos: I do not think "literally" means what you think it means.

journeymonk

by journeymonk

Dr.Dos wrote:
You need an argument for you devotion to Cervélo.

Well, I guess everyone does, for any choice of brand/ model/ make that they will or have made a key buying decision on.

About the geometry being for weekend warriors, I would disagree (and this is my opinion): it's rather twitchy because of the short wheelbase and stays. Mmy 54.5cm top-tubed R3 had a shorter wheelbase than the 53.5cm top-tubed Giant I used to have -- and it is noticable more able to turn tight corners in my experience.

May I ask for your brand and make that you have such a convincing argument of to have either a devotion or spending decision on?

I would love to hear your input about a pro bike you actually love (or can make a good argument for) here on the Pro Bike Equipment thread.

Keep it coming, Doc Dos. I, for one, am intrigued about what your preference and input might be.

:)

6.29 kg and dropping...

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

I use the same handlebar tape as Tom, selected my tires out of ten with a scale and sleep with the latest issue of Procycling mag under my pillow. Tomorrow is my day!

Now let's see some Pro stuff and quit babbling about your affinity for some overhyped plastic frame.

journeymonk

by journeymonk

OK, then, guys, let 'er rip!

Thanks to everyone who indulged me (MaestroXC, Mr. Gib and others) talking about a frameset that has figured heavily in the Pro ranks, especially with regards to last weeks race, the Paris-Roubaix. And for helping me find out the truth about its incarnations.

Dr. Dos: You got any pro stuff to share or discuss?

8)

6.29 kg and dropping...

Skunk

by Skunk

Are any pros using a wireless SRM yet? I don't think the wireless powercontrol is out yet but it should work with a Garmin 705.

ehudk

by ehudk

DocRay wrote:The R3 that Cancellara and O'Grady won with had the longer wheelbase by having a longer rear dropout, but not the taller steerer of the RS.

Dunno about the Eroica.

Just to add a bit...

I'm quite sure that the R3 that the CSC are using (in all races) include the longer rear dropout version...

The orig R3 from my experience is just a bit short...

When climbing, standing, it always feel like a bit short.

If I could have R3 with 1 cm longer, it will be perfect.

the 1-2 cm will result in rolling faster, period.

journeymonk

by journeymonk

ehudk:

OK.

What about the Soloist Carbons that the team uses? Are those stock?

So is it: when Team CSC needs a stable bike, it's the R3; and if they need a twichy bike, it's the Soloist?

I remember 2006 Milan-San Remo where Frank Schleck was overshooting corners on his Soloist Carbon.

:?:

6.29 kg and dropping...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com