Fulcum Zeros - Why do mine wobble?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tochnics

by tochnics

if you stop pedalling at a fair speed and the rear wheels keeps ons rotating with the known wobble then how could it be that your bb is bad

like said before you have to place the wheel in a stand and do little rotating at verious speeds and see how it behaves

the lbs gets warranty from the place they got it from and should pass that on to you
that is if the rim is out of balance

theremery

by theremery

Stiffness of the b.b. effecting the useability of the wheel????!!!!!
I think I love your mechanic!!!!!He's given me the best laugh I've had all week!
I'm doubting the spokes....and less doubting the tyres (but did you test it totally without the tyres??)...and more suspecting a random poorly produced rim (like the tyres....not likely...but it does happen).
What a fascinating thread!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Feideaux

by Feideaux

theremery wrote:Stiffness of the b.b. effecting the useability of the wheel????!!!!!
I think I love your mechanic!!!!!He's given me the best laugh I've had all week!
I'm doubting the spokes....and less doubting the tyres (but did you test it totally without the tyres??)...and more suspecting a random poorly produced rim (like the tyres....not likely...but it does happen).
What a fascinating thread!

Just remembered all the help I got from this board with those frustrating wheels.

Outcome? The mysterious wobble was never adequately explained or fixed. I exchanged them for a pair of scandium Shimano XTR wheels and have been at peace with the world ever since :D

Have done a truck load of mtb marathons on those xtr wheels...flawless....and I have never been back to that bike shop. The owner took offence to me "using up hundreds of dollars of (his) mechanics' time" after HE called me in to prove that the wheels he sold me were imbalanced!!! :lol: Apparently MY time that was wasted (sorry kids, no play time with dad, I'm down at the LBS) was inconsequential.

As you can see, it's two years down the track and I still laugh about it!

Thanks for kind help when I needed it, guys!

F.
"Suffering is the badge of our tribe..." W.S.

theremery

by theremery

Of interest to this thread.....some time after we were discussing the issue, I bought an addict R1 which had fulcrum 1's (I think....I sold them quite rapidly) that shook side to side when there was a decent camber on the road (slope for water draining). It was most noticeable at quite low speeds. I eventually thought it may be rim flexion as the low spoke-count 2:1 nondrive side spokes went by!!! :shock:
I disliked the wheels due to their massively over-budget/claimed weight and sold them off cheaply so never bothered fully investigating it. I must say that it was odd as they seemed perfectly fine when descending at pace and that would have put FAR more pressure on their lateral rigidity.
Fulcrums???...I'm not a fan. A mate loves his deep carbon fulcrums tho, so each to their own.
I'm curious tho, were they really badly imbalanced??? and did he have a valve in the rim when demonstrating this effect? How fast was he spinning them? Since he had sold you a shitty set of wheels...did he offer to make good the dud purchase?
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!

tochnics

by tochnics

i cant remember why i said somthing weird that it could be the BB or something related

anyway it is possible to have a vibe at 5km/h
i got a pair of schwalbe lugano tires for a old bike
the black and bleu ones, they were so badly made the bike shaked like nothing else
ofcourse they went back straight away

ontopic:

i am glad something worked out for you
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

jurgen2

by jurgen2

Well, I've the same problem with the Fulcrum Racing Zero. :( I tried everything, really everything mentioned here on the forum (and even more..) . I got a new pair of wheels and... the same problem.
Anyone knows how to solve this? It's really weird :?

Btw, I ride a Specialized Tarmac SL. Somebody on the Cervelo forum with the same problem, met a guy who told him it was the combination of the shape of the spoke, and the aero frame. I don't believe it, and my Specialized isn't that aero.
Dedicated to those who every day want to be found elsewhere... flying on their bikes.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

after reading this thread I'd just sell them jurgen and go for something reliable. if it was a rare problem I'd say get a replacement but it sounds like it is quite common.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

thomas

by thomas

I hade the same problem, so I sold mine and bought Shamal ULTRA. Campagnolo ...... yes, problem solved . :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

I also have zeros and I' ve never experienced this wobble thing. And I weight 82 kgs. :?:

theremery

by theremery

A thought.......kgt...were yours set for campag or shimano?

maverick_1

by maverick_1

been using my racing zeros for the past 2 yrs and did not encounter any wobbling problems.

mine are with campy freehub bodies.

jecjec81

by jecjec81

got the same wheelset with shimano hub and haven't encounter any wobbling issue.

boysa

by boysa

One more... mine are Campy and have been superb.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

theremery

by theremery

ah well.....that would seem to eliminate the possibility that it was the greater dish on the campy variants causing issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

theremery wrote:A thought.......kgt...were yours set for campag or shimano?

Campagnolo