10 speed chains for 9 speed cassette?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Mahoney

by Mahoney

It has been said that 10 speed chains can be used for 9 speed cassettes with out any difficulty. The obvious advantage is that the new 10 speed chains are lighter and now that my chain needs replacing I could drop some weight by getting a 10 speed chain. Do others agree or am I mistaken. Specifically I'm running the shimano 9speed groupo currently and was going to buy the campy 10speed ultralight chain hence dropping 45 grams from my bike. Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks
El Mahone

zoey

by zoey

Mahoney wrote:It has been said that 10 speed chains can be used for 9 speed cassettes with out any difficulty. The obvious advantage is that the new 10 speed chains are lighter and now that my chain needs replacing I could drop some weight by getting a 10 speed chain. Do others agree or am I mistaken. Specifically I'm running the shimano 9speed groupo currently and was going to buy the campy 10speed ultralight chain hence dropping 45 grams from my bike. Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks

Good idea IF your cassette is not worn.
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

BikeTech

by BikeTech

Zoey is correct. Save yourself some $ and pickup the KMC X-10 chain. Lighter than Campy and cheaper too. KMC will soon have a hollow pin version of this chain available, which will mean further weight loss :)

Regarding your original question, I run 10 speed chains on all of my 9 speed setups. My training hack/rain bike has 8 speed rings/crank, 9 speed rear derailleur and 10 speed chain. No problems.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listi ... ype=chains

With all needet parts (link) no weight difference. Price difference is only fewn Euros. 35->~38€.

But I bet Campy will last much longer.