lightweight downtube shifters

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
popawheelie

by popawheelie

I'm trying to get more info on which ones are the lightest. Zoey posted the Kronos that are carbon. Any other contenders out there? What is the weight of the left shifter?
If I knew which one is mostly aluminum I could tune it.

rustychain

by rustychain

I use an old campy, just straight plain no fancy edges. Looks very cool as is. Sorry I don't have the weight. I think they used them in the 70's. It would be very easy to tune. By the way, I find the shifting better/faster then the sti 9 I used. If I was going to due it right I think a ti screw would be in order. Just a guess but I think you could make it VERY light. Good luck

zoey

by zoey

A Super Record shifter would be nice if you use Campy.
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

Mahoney

by Mahoney

I'm looking for the carbon (plastic) Kronos shifters and I'd be interested in either a right or left shifter

Thanks
El Mahone

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Mahoney, If you find some let me know, o.k? I'll do the same for you. I'm only looking for the left one. My front chainrings are closer than most ( 42-50T ) and with 10 in the back it isn't as critical to shift the front. I can anticipate the need for the big ring when I need it.
Zoey, I'm going to look for the Super Record on ebay. Thanks!

Villadsen

by Villadsen

I'm looking for the carbon (plastic) Kronos shifters
The Modolo Kronos are not out of carbon fibre, but some sort of plastic, more like the small inner lever on a Campa Ergo shifter today. The Kronos are famous for their tendency to break and when they break you can actually see that there are no fibres inside them. I have broken at least 3 of them back then. They especially have a tendency to break if used when the temparature is low (below 5c).

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Thanks! I noticed when Zoey posted his pics that they looked like they were carbon fiber filled. Chopped up fibers in a plastic mix.
I suppose I could get alu down to respectable weight.