Bont shoes

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Thanks MattSoutherden! Made some shims out of a yogurt carton and they're working well now.

LouisN

by LouisN

MattSoutherden wrote:The problem is that the bottom of the Bont shoes is much flatter than the round profile of the Shimano cleat. When you tighten the cleat bolts, the cleat is deformed as it takes the shape of the shoe.

Try offering the cleat up to the shoe and eyeballing it from the side and you'll see what I mean.

When I was using Shimano pedals I had a stick a few bits of cut down margarine tub under the cleat to stop it bending.

At the moment I'm on speedplay, and I have the alu base plate with only the front shim. As the alu plate is much stronger then the plastic ones, it can do without the rear shim.

I think it's a fundamental flaw with Bont shoes in general.

:shock:

I might try that too !!! Just thougt this movement was "natural", I had the same with my Northwaves, on Look pedals.

Louis :)

andylav

by andylav

How does one go about moulding Bonts if you have to wear custom fit orthotics - is it simply a case of heating them, inserting the insole and then allowing the uppers to conform to your foot shape?

Would welcome any advice from owners as I'm interested in getting a set of these this year.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

JensW

by JensW

andylav wrote:How does one go about moulding Bonts if you have to wear custom fit orthotics - is it simply a case of heating them, inserting the insole and then allowing the uppers to conform to your foot shape?

Would welcome any advice from owners as I'm interested in getting a set of these this year.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

that was what i did. heated the shoes without the orthotics, toke them out of the owen, and inserted the orthotics and so on. wonder if Bont even said that the sole should´t be in the shoe under heating

Carcinogent

by Carcinogent

Hello,

I am considering the Bont Track Shoes for Road use. Are they basically the same shoes, just with laces (the main reason I prefer them to velcro)?

Are Bont shoes compatible with the Specialized footbeds/shims? I have an older model (read very high stack height) Specialized shoes and I have very high arches and I use the green footbeds with one 1.5mm wedge under my right foot. I had a Body Geometry fit done and that made things a lot better for me and I want to keep the arch support. Back in the day I had Bont ZX5 skates and I really liked the heat molding feature. The S-works shoes are praised by a lot of people, however, I am not a fan of the Boa lacing and find the finish of the shoes just appalling.

Thanks in advance for the info!

claus

by claus

When I bought my A-One I ordered them with laces, back then (several years ago) that was an available option.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I'm giving up on my Vaypor's. They are just too uncomfortable.

Murphs

by Murphs

what size are you? :)

gumgardner

by gumgardner

They are 44

EMMANUEL15

by EMMANUEL15

Hello guys i need your help i m curently wearing sidi 45 do you think bont A2 44 will fit or are bont small size like sidi or more normal city size
thanks

pierre-san

by pierre-san

Ah, Gummy. You just got them. What's the problem? They will take some time to wear in. Patience is a virtue, when it comes to cycling shoes I have found. I hope you're enjoying that bike of yours?

@ Emmanuel, I would recommend using the Bont sizing wizard to calculate your correct size. From my experience they do run a little smaller the Sidi's. I hope this helps.

Cheers, Pete

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

I've always found it to be the exact opposite, there really isn't anything that will drastically change a shoe (assuming it's not leather) over time to make it more comfortable. I ended up selling my Bonts after just a few rides because they were just too much work to get feeling okay. I had originally gotten them to replace my Sidis as a lighter (~120g) alternative, but found that once I added insoles, I only saved a total of 13 grams and they didn't feel quite as comfortable as my other shoes. :noidea:

EMMANUEL15, I went straight across from a Sidi 43 to a Bont 43 and ended up with just the right amount of room. Going to a slightly smaller size (assuming your Sidis fit very well) probably wouldn't be my recommendation, as the construction isn't quite as forgiving for slightly mismatched sizings as shoes with a softer upper.

EMMANUEL15

by EMMANUEL15

Thanks for you quik answer guys the problem my Sidi s are a beat to long (5mm) but not wide enoeph , they are suposed to be for 275mm foot and i am 279 if i look at the bont chart it said 281 44/5 and 277 is 44.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Id say the main size difference is in width - if your sidis are too narrow in the front of the foot (toes) the smaller bonts will do fine, wheras I think the Bonts are narrower than sidis at the arch - best way I can describe it is bonts are to me a bit more "triangular" with the base at the toes, whereas Sidis more like a rectangle. confused now, arent you?

micky

by micky

After a month of using Bont I had to give up as well; my feet with a "high arch" couldnt work with the flatter design of the shoes.